• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I gave up trying to teach my friends, but it's so hard sometimes...

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my good friends was bragging last night about buying like 5 pairs of Kenneth Cole shoes on sale... He was so proud of himself, and so excited about the style and quality of those shoes...
confused.gif
It was kind of hard not to chime in with something when he was going on and on about how great Kenneth Coles are.... But I just don't wanna be an asshole, I guess. As long as he likes them?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
One of my good friends was bragging last night about buying like 5 pairs of Kenneth Cole shoes on sale... He was so proud of himself, and so excited about the style and quality of those shoes...

confused.gif

It was kind of hard not to chime in with something when he was going on and on about how great Kenneth Coles are.... But I just don't wanna be an asshole, I guess. As long as he likes them?

did he get them at like less than 50 dollars each? then that would be fine. im fearing he did not though

Reaction score
i know someone that ALWAYS wears these square toed KCs
i don't feel close enough to him to say anything
but i feel enough affection that i feel i should help the poor guy
i have dropped hints to people that know and love him hoping that he will get the message
but i fear my approach may be too oblique to be effective

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does it matter?

Unless he's rubbing it in your face and debasing your John Lobbs, its sort of none of your business. Believe me, I hate square toed shoes as much as anyone else but unless they make it my business (coming to me for help, attacking my own shoes, etc) it's not and I have no right or place to try and "lecture" people because it just comes off as snobbish, elitist, and pretentious.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
Better to keep your mouth shut and your friendship alive unless it really impacts you negatively in some part of your life. (Other than "I have to see it.")

awxg

Reaction score
Ignorance is bliss. I was much happier before stumbling upon SF. I can say the same for my wallet.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't ever make comments about other people's shoes unless they come and ask for advise.I got a few pairs of shoes to two co-workers recently and gave them some tips,they are liking the shoes and seem to be happy.Hopefully they won't be buying Cole Haans and CKs anymore.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by awxg
Ignorance is bliss. I was much happier before stumbling upon SF. I can say the same for my wallet.

Be a real friend and let him stay happy.

+1,this is so ******* true.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think KC shoes were on sale online for like 20-30 bucks each recently. Hard to argue with that price point if you don't know any better.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Does... but unless they make it my business (coming to me for help, attacking my own shoes, etc) ...

True enough!

But here's a 'borderline' moral dilemma ... you and Mr. KCshoes are sitting around at a party with a few other mutual friends ... he mentions his great shopping 'success' ... and then the other people start complimenting him for his stylishness ... and start chastising you for wearing 'those silly round-toe English shoes' ...

rebenga

Reaction score
I know a very nice guy who has the tag on his coat (outerwear, not suit jacket) sleeve.

I'm not sure if I should

a. leave it alone
b. tell him that the tag is meant to be removed
c. snip it off secretly

yawn123_#21

Reaction score
even if you say something, they won't understand. They have to actually want to better themselves in order for them to understand and change. I guess it's better to just leave em be unless they ask you for help. they might have other values, or needs that are more important to them atm. or maybe his job entails dirty work. ie you would clean toilets with crappy kc shoes, but not santonis. or he might have kids at home he wants to be able to clothe feed and put thru college than to be nicely dressed. I know some people that should be poorly dressed but can actually pay their rent than to be a nicely dressed hobo.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhateverYouLike
I think KC shoes were on sale online for like 20-30 bucks each recently. Hard to argue with that price point if you don't know any better.

Ehh, I don't know about that unless you only planned to wear them when you're shoveling ****. Believe me, I went through the phase when I thought KC was cool.. Like in high school. And the quality is horrible as well, every KC shoe I've had looked like **** after 2-3 wears.

Originally Posted by Doc4
True enough!

But here's a 'borderline' moral dilemma ... you and Mr. KCshoes are sitting around at a party with a few other mutual friends ... he mentions his great shopping 'success' ... and then the other people start complimenting him for his stylishness ... and start chastising you for wearing 'those silly round-toe English shoes' ...

This happens to me from time to time, not necessarily with shoes but pocket squares, etc. I just make fun of their mom or something in return.

Originally Posted by forsbergacct2000
Better to keep your mouth shut and your friendship alive unless it really impacts you negatively in some part of your life. (Other than "I have to see it.")

Yeah pretty much. I think a huge part of becoming wiser is learning not to criticize people unprovoked, especially when they are happy about something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics