• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I found this interesting…

regularjoe

Reaction score
This opens up a can of worms. Now we'll see which posters run to go make their own shirts and suits.

regularjoe

Reaction score
I'll be the first to admit my curiosity is piqued. I can see myself trying to make a shirt although a suit would be a looooonnnng way off since I don't know which side of a needle is up.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the other things that I'm into, is shooting sports and shotgun collecting. After paying craftsmen ungodly sums of money to do what seems like relatively simple woodwork, I decided to refinish a gun-stock myself. It ended up costing me more than if I had hired it out, and looked like garbage to boot. If you guys are anything like me, and I suspect many of you are, you are in danger of a similar fate should you attempt the art of shirtmaking.

Duveen

Reaction score
I got an Amazon gift certificate and bought both books a few months ago. Fairly interesting, but a lot of it is really only useful if you do plan to do the sewing yourself. Great if you want to understand how - exactly - those tailors do it...

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At $14 it seems like a cool book to have, I would definatly try to make my own shirts, just for fun. I'd compare what this book says to that great post Alexander Kabbazz wrote about how he makes shirts.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Mike C. @ 22 June 2004, 7:18) At $14 it seems like a cool book to have, I would definatly try to make my own shirts, just for fun. I'd compare what this book says to that great post Alexander Kabbazz wrote about how he makes shirts.
Do you have a link to the post? Thanks. Jon.
It got deleted for some reason when the forum was acting up a few months ago. However, I think it was cross posted or archived on Andy's forum, so your best bet is to check there. I'm sure that someone has bookmarked it though, it was a really great post.

Reaction score
Oddly I bought the book a couple of weeks ago. I don't think it's intended for beginners and it assumes at least you have a sewing machine and some basic tools. It has discussions on material and fit so might be helpful for understanding of shirt construction but don't expect you can make a shirt from this book alone (which was more or less what I did).

I didn't read from cover to cover but the hardest part in shirtmaking seemed to be figuring out (and knowing) the right fit and drawing a pattern.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy