• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I find myself on marginalized on SF

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Days go by without a peep at the Men's Clothing page.

I nip in for a quick comment on "Vinyl" or a snide remark about health insurance, rarely bothering to see the retort. I might check a non-clothing thread asking about the law. I have not read the last 275 posts on "US Waiters' worst conduct."

I did not read about the followup purchases from the Edward Green sale.

What has happend to the star that once burned so brightly within?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am confused (yes, I know that is a first for me
lookaround.gif
) You know what though, it helps being more confrontational. Uh, the equivalent of going on top of a hill wearing metal plate armour during a lightning storm and shouting "All gods are bastards" (yes, I swiped that from Terry Pratchett). Maybe start randomly insulting people
biggrin.gif
? P.s. I usually just use the "new posts" function and see if there is anything that strikes my fancy from there.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I only read threads that have a subject matter of interest, or if a poster who I enjoy reading posts in a thread. Overall, I'd guess that I read about 15% of the entire SF board within its myriad of subforums. But that 15% is damn interesting/informative.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i feel the same way. perhaps it's just boredom? if you hang around long enough, you tend to see the same questions over and over. you used to be able to learn something new every single day. today, useful bits of information about clothing are fewer and far between, partially because we've become more knowledgeable, but also because some of more learned posters stopped posting. unfortunately, I don't think there's a remedy...

mrchapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
i feel the same way. perhaps it's just boredom? if you hang around long enough, you tend to see the same questions over and over. you used to be able to learn something new every single day. today, useful bits of information about clothing are fewer and far between, partially because we've become more knowledgeable, but also because some of more learned posters stopped posting. unfortunately, I don't think there's a remedy...

Perhaps there is a solution. Certain members of this board have shared their knowledge, experience, and opinion on matters ranging from the virtue of a split yoke to why or why not one should dimple a tie. Perhaps it is time to give back to the community that has, without charge or other motive to gain personally, opened your eyes to a world of knowledge.

How? Maybe take some time to learn a craft related to clothing; dig deeper into mainstream suit production and report back as to the differences between a machine made suit and a bespoke tailored suit (though I am sure such differences have been discussed at one level or another). Or look into how fabric's origin, or any other areas that you may share and discuss. Maybe then others will come in from the dark with an expertise on that subject, and once again you'll be learning. Just a thought.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
I sympathize, Mr Checks.

I still read a fair amount here, but don't always respond to the most recent "which is better? Lewin or CT?" posts. I also won't often respond to many of the "Look at my latest Jantzen" and similar threads. (Of course, aportnoy's shoe photos almost always elicit envy,drooling and compliments!)

Duveen

Reaction score
One major change since I started on AA and SF is the current multiplicity of fora. I still pretty much only visit SF, but a lot of the great posters have migrated to other, more esoteric fora - with AA, LL, FNB and SF there are a lot of 'hot spots'. And when I do dip in elsewhere I see worthy topics that might once have been discussed here discussed there. And not always for any particular reason - that is where they happened to strike the poster's fancy.

SF used to be a one-stop shop for most of the good stuff, with AA better for in-depth construction discussions. Now much of what I'd consider 'good stuff' is spread across multiple sites and multiple fora within this site.

I think that both posters and readers end up not having the time/energy to read and react to everything on these multiple fora, and I am sure that I am missing a lot of great convos by only checking the one place.

The reason why the multiple outlets matter is that there are only so many interesting/interested individuals. This fixed population of sartorial jedi means that each place ends up getting only part of the total interweb-based wisdom...

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duveen
The reason why the multiple outlets matter is that there are only so many interesting/interested individuals. This fixed population of sartorial jedi means that each place ends up getting only part of the total interweb-based wisdom...
Hey man, I'm trying my hardest...
teacha.gif

kidding.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. I wish we talked more about cloth, tailors, shirtmakers, shoemakers, glovemakers, etc and saw pictures of real commissions and/or goods.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreyFlannelMan
I sympathize, Mr Checks.

I still read a fair amount here, but don't always respond to the most recent "which is better? Lewin or CT?" posts. I also won't often respond to many of the "Look at my latest Jantzen" and similar threads. (Of course, aportnoy's shoe photos almost always elicit envy,drooling and compliments!)

Agree on the first part re CT.

Re: the shoes, I woke up one day and realized my shoe collection had grown from 2 to 22 in one year. Time to back away from any aportnoy photos. The breaking point was the glorious EG sale that I managed to push myself away from. If I could resist EGs, I could resist anything.

Part of it is that I don't dress up in the summer; been wearing basic shorts/polos, etc. Maybe if Brooks comes out with killer overcoats again for this fall, I'll get back into it. In fact, I'm sure I will.

Duveen

Reaction score
Hear hear on the glovemakers!

Also - RJ needs to get a damned camera and photograph all his bespoke finery!

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone new to SF, I've hit a kind of plateau. I learn from this spot daily, but my wallet can't really support the knowledge. I now have a clearer indication of what to specify should I get the bespoke suit / shoes, but alas I am a zero or so short on the budget.
Its a kind of sartorial purgatory...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads