• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Finally Got A Personal Trainer

Mike Lowry

Reaction score
I signed up for a personal training program designed around the "HIT" concept you guys talk about on here. I am currently 5'8"/170/In the 20%'s for body fat and realized I had been flailing away for too long on my own. I hope after 8 weeks or so I can take what I've learned and start to do this on my own. I'll post results as the program moves on to see how well this "HIT" training works.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Congratulations - I did this a few years ago and saw great results. A good PT will make you push yourself harder than you would on your own and while it's a lot of work, it's definitely worth it.

Mike Lowry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
Congratulations - I did this a few years ago and saw great results. A good PT will make you push yourself harder than you would on your own and while it's a lot of work, it's definitely worth it.

The initial workout was not so good......

I pushed it a bit too hard and blacked out in the corner after a few exercises (didn't eat before I started). I have always been someone when pushed I could do just about anything but I may have pushed it a bit too hard the first time out.

Thanks for the props.... I know it will take awhile and there are no quick fixes. I am really looking forward to the progress throughout the next few months.

-Mike

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
You might want to ask your trainer for an eating plan as well. Diet is a huge part of your success.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might want to ask your trainer for an eating plan as well. Diet is a huge part of your success.

Have you maintained your good results?

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mike Lowry

I pushed it a bit too hard and blacked out in the corner after a few exercises ...

This is the same problem I've seen with too many PT's- They push too hard or allow their clients to. The least anyone should expect is to complete their program without injury.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1000. The battle is won and lost at the dinner table. Get your diet in order BEFORE you spend money on a trainer, or you will be setting yourself up for disappointment.

beasty

Reaction score
I signed up for a personal training program designed around the "HIT" concept you guys talk about on here. I am currently 5'8"/170/In the 20%'s for body fat and realized I had been flailing away for too long on my own. I hope after 8 weeks or so I can take what I've learned and start to do this on my own. I'll post results as the program moves on to see how well this "HIT" training works.

1.\tActually your weight is fine for your height provided you are not fat. I bet your waist is like 32 to 33 inches right? If you can drop it to 30 inches at the same weight, you are good to go.

2.\tBlacking out is actually a sign of being pushed too hard and you being generally unfit. When you sit at the corner, you feel a bit cold and sounds seem like a distance away right?

3.\tIt always is a bit uncomfortable when you terminate your trainer's services and still workout in the same gym. I won't be surprised if you change gym shortly after terminating his services.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I pushed it a bit too hard and blacked out in the corner after a few exercises (didn't eat before I started). I have always been someone when pushed I could do just about anything but I may have pushed it a bit too hard the first time out.

Thanks for the props.... I know it will take awhile and there are no quick fixes. I am really looking forward to the progress throughout the next few months.

-Mike

My trainer takes pride in making people puke. Marine reserve guy, just got deployed for a year to Iraq, not sure how I'll live without him.

Mike Lowry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by beasty
1.\tActually your weight is fine for your height provided you are not fat. I bet your waist is like 32 to 33 inches right? If you can drop it to 30 inches at the same weight, you are good to go.

2.\tBlacking out is actually a sign of being pushed too hard and you being generally unfit. When you sit at the corner, you feel a bit cold and sounds seem like a distance away right?

3.\tIt always is a bit uncomfortable when you terminate your trainer's services and still workout in the same gym. I won't be surprised if you change gym shortly after terminating his services.

1. I wear 32/30 jeans. When I measure at my belly button not holding anything in I measure at 38" conversly when I measure my chest I get the same 38". My weight has not changed but my body fat has went from about 8% 10yrs ago to in the 20%'s.

2. I did not eat before the first session and I believe that was my problem. I am also out of shape as well. Yes I felt drunk when I started blacking out. It lasted for about 30 min.

3. The place where I am doing this at is a personal training gym only. Once I terminate the services I won't have to go back.

Mike Lowry

Reaction score
Ok so today I started the program with the first real workout. The workout was 45minutes and 15 minutes of stretching afterwards. I am really out of shape and had to take a few breaks during the workout.

About 10 minutes after leaving I had to pull over and puke. Never felt worse before.... never felt better after.

Two things to note from the testing I had done last week.
1. My body fat percentage is 19.5%. When in top shape at 18 (now 26) I was at around 8% or 8.5%.

2. My resting heart rate was at 100 beats per minute. The trainer told me a normal human rests at around 60 beats per minute. This was alarming but my blood pressure was normal. I had about 8 beers the night before (this is a rare occasion btw) over a period of about 10 hours. Would this play into the high heart rate? I was too embarassed to ask the trainer.

Captain65

Reaction score
It is possible that the beers last night contributed to your heart rate. Dehydration can cause increased heart rate. It sounds like your trainer is pushing you too hard. There is no glory in starting so hard that you injure yourself or burnout quickly. It sounds like your trainer should be starting you out a bit slower. Where did you find him? Does he hold any certifications? What is his education and background?

dj.sessions

Reaction score
Awesome Mike!! I really like HIIT!! that will give you nice results, you will be burning fat for the next 36 hours approx after your work out.

Enjoy your workouts!

beasty

Reaction score
Ok so today I started the program with the first real workout. The workout was 45minutes and 15 minutes of stretching afterwards. I am really out of shape and had to take a few breaks during the workout.

About 10 minutes after leaving I had to pull over and puke. Never felt worse before.... never felt better after.

Two things to note from the testing I had done last week.
1. My body fat percentage is 19.5%. When in top shape at 18 (now 26) I was at around 8% or 8.5%.

2. My resting heart rate was at 100 beats per minute. The trainer told me a normal human rests at around 60 beats per minute. This was alarming but my blood pressure was normal. I had about 8 beers the night before (this is a rare occasion btw) over a period of about 10 hours. Would this play into the high heart rate? I was too embarassed to ask the trainer.

1. How do you measure your bodyfat? Using that thingy you hold with 2 hands? You know that is inaccurate right? You know there is a way to make the result change everytime you use it right?

2. Dont be too anal about. If it goes down, you are fine. You are not in your 40s or have some congenital heart problems.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads