• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I feel like a mess, help me out

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wakeup everyday between noon and 1:00. I spend the rest of the day constantly tired and with sporatic headaches. The healtiest thing in my diet is pizza and water.

This has to change. I'm starting to feel like an absolute mess, despite looking healthy and fit.

The biggest problem is that I'm always tired no matter how much I sleep (usually 10 hours a night). I've heard that working out or doing cardio would give me some more energy during the day... I don't know. Maybe I should take a multi-vitamin too.

Would running 20 min a day and drinking a protein shake afterward, plus a multi-vitamin help? The thing is I can't loose weight. I'm already skinny (5'11, 153 lbs). I'd like to stay constant, just have more energy.

Can anyone offer advice? I'm really clueless about this stuff. Thanks.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike C:

Perhaps someone else can echo this. someone with more medical knowledge, but i think that if you are sleeping 10 hours a day/every day and are still tired you need competant medical attention.

This could be mono, or an underactive thyroid or other stuff. I just dont think here is the right place for suggestions about that.

ALso you obviousely dont have a regular steady responsibility that gets you out of into and then out of bed at a set time. That could be part of the problem.

Good luck.

JJF

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn... I just read my original post and realized that I came across sounding like someone with a serious drug problem...lol.

I actually just graduated college and I am back home. My job requires me to be in clubs or bars 3-5 times per week, so hence the sleeping patterns. My career begins late september, so I have a few months of nothingness to fill. Rather than be inactive and feel like crap the whole time. I thought I'd ask for advice on a routine for health. Just a diet and exercise routine to get me FEELING better.

There are no medical problems, it's just that my current routine and diet lends its self to feeling like a slug all day.

humrepair

Reaction score
Mike,
I do have medical training and I think JJF has given you good advice.There are so many different causes of fatigue and headaches that you absolutely need to see a physician and maybe get some testing done.To speculate on the causes of your symptoms or tell you about things to do to improve your lifestyle at this point would be stupid.Please take JJF's advice.

humrepair

Reaction score
Aaaaaahhh,
That's a little different now isn't it? If you've seen a doctor and know you're basically healthy go for the lifestyle change.I have found that exercising daily definitely helps me when I'm forced into irregular sleep patterns.My advice would be start aerobic activity tomorrow.You know the routine-walking first, then jogging ,then running.If you have any pain in your joints then try lower impact stuff like bike and ellipse.
I personally believe weight training is also important for your health.Please find someone knowledgeable to help you get started.Also, you will have to eat more calories if you are exercising.Otherwise your weight will drop.Increase your protein intake and good carbohydrate intake-veggies, fruit etc.
Good luck.
Neil

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I'm no doctor, but my friend in medical school one told me that the early symptoms of cystic fibrosis, Marburg virus, anthrax, ulcerative colitis, hemophilia, pork tapeworm, fish tapeworm, and brain tumors are the same: slight fatigue and headaches.

Of course, it could be that you're just being a lazy f*ck. And I mean that in the best possible way: once I got off ****** and started working out, I found myself with MUCH more energy and a generally better disposition. Try it.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course, it could be that you're just being a lazy f*ck.  And I mean that in the best possible way: once I got off ****** and started working out, I found myself with MUCH more energy and a generally better disposition.  Try it.
Ok, yes... this is the problem. All I want is a little advice on a workout routine, not one that will change me physically, and a better diet involving protein shakes (not the heavy bodybuilder ones) and maybe a multi-vitamin. Does anyone take a protein or health shake daily?

Peter: is your workout high impact, does it make you feel more energetic during the day, particularly the morning, have you changed your diet? When you don't work out, do you feel more sluggish?

Trust me, there are no medical problems. I just feel sluggish during most of the day and have trouble waking up in the mornings. Nothing unusual for a college kid who goes out 3-4 nights a week.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike: The signs of denial are evident... 1) See a doctor. 2) Put your affairs in order... 3) Live like there may be no tomorrow.
smile.gif
Sorry... I just couldnt resist. Poor guy, you set yourself up for this by the tone of your first post. Excercise is great and will probably work for you if done in the AM shortly after you wake up. Too close to the night time and you will probably find yourself exhausted from the days hours to get yourself energized. Cant vouch for the shakes but they cant hurt I am sure. Ciao. JJF

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Peter: is your workout high impact, does it make you feel more energetic during the day, particularly the morning, have you changed your diet? When you don't work out, do you feel more sluggish?
Mike,

I work out 4 times a week. Twice I do 45-60 minutes of cardio (bike or run or elliptical) and twice I do a full body weight routine (high reps, low weight).

I sometimes feel a little sore - but never sluggish. It has the opposite effect - it get's your blood running, your endorphins up, etc. It's not exactly a quid pro quo, meaning, it's not like on the days I work out I feel better than the days I don't. It's gradual and accumulative: I consistently have more energy now than when I sat for hours smoking pot and playing video games.

I'm also not sure you need multi-vitamins, protein shakes, etc., although they probably won't hurt. Stay away from McDonalds and Doritos and eat more greens and that should do the trick.

Again - I'm no doctor, so I'm not dispensing medical advice. Just what worked for me...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My workout routine these days is 5 days a week (must be younger than you PeterMetro.) - On Saturday and Tuesday (when I get up early enough,) I run 6 miles, and do full upper body exercises (about 1 hour - chest, lats, lower back, shoulders, biceps and triceps), about 8 different exercises, 3 sets of 10 reps each.

On Wednesday and Sunday, I'll run intervals (1.5 mile at 6.2 minute/mile, 1 mile at 6 minute/mile, and a .5 mile sprint (as fast as I can, usually in the area of 5:20 minute miles) and will do a truncated weight workout focussed on one upper body muscle group (the one that hurts least). On Thursday, I'll do intervals - the same as Wednesday, but with an extra mile of sprints, to burn myself out for my Friday rest day,) and I'll do a heavy, strength building set (i.e. heavy, but not to breaking point.)

I find that this exercise routine, and lots of OJ mitigates (to a large degree, though now that I near 30, I am starting to worry) my steady diet of coffee, donuts (I am Canadian, and therefore addicted to those things,) pizza and burritos. (A typical daily menu is a donut and coffee for breakfast, a burrito for lunch, a pecan roll midday snack, and another burrito for dinner.) I am 5'11'' with a 33 waist and weigh about 165-170 lbs.

On the odd occasions I eat properly (at home for Christmas - yes, I *lose* weight over the holidays), and am on the same worklout routine, I usually drop 5 pounds nearly immediately, and then gain back about 3 in muscle.

When I don't exercise, I get more sluggish. And until very recently, I was out until about 1 or 2 about 3 nights a week, and other days sleep starting at about midnight. When I eat right, I feel even more energetic. But I love my burritos, so that is the price I pay.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LAGuy: I know what you're talking about with the burritos. I'm living on the Sunset Strip all summer, and damn, does LA have awesome burritos.

the workouts you guys posted seem too high impact for me. I'll be doing the following:

-Run 30 min a day
-After, do some push-ups. Start with 30, increase # each
day.
-Drink 1 non-bodybulider protein shake
-take 1 multi-vitamin
-try sleeping max 8 hours

Hopefully this will help. Any comments? Remember I'm not trying to alter my physical appearance, just not be a lazy-ass.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
LAGuy: I know what you're talking about with the burritos. I'm living on the Sunset Strip all summer, and damn, does LA have awesome burritos.

the workouts you guys posted seem too high impact for me. I'll be doing the following:

-Run 30 min a day
 -After, do some push-ups. Start with 30, increase # each
day.
 -Drink 1 non-bodybulider protein shake
 -take 1 multi-vitamin
 -try sleeping max 8 hours

Hopefully this will help. Any comments? Remember I'm not trying to alter my physical appearance, just not be a lazy-ass.
Hey man, don't worry about being a lazy-ass. When your career starts you'll be happy you got all that sleep. Some people (esp. us younger guys) could use 10 hours of sleep a night. I usually do because I don't have to be at work until 3 p.m. (unless there's some fishing involved).

On your headaches: I used to get them all the time. Does your jaw feel sore/tired in the morning? You might be grinding your teeth. Try wearing a molded mouth guard at night. I haven't had a headache since.

On your laggy-ness during the day: Your workout plan sounds ok, but I would run for a set distance rather than a set time. Then you can see if you improve and you won't cheat yourself by going slow. And balance out your pushups with some squats (you don't need any weight on your back to do an effective squat).

On diet: eat oatmeal in the morning. At least, eat SOMETHING in the morning. This helps out with headaches, too. Eat tuna after you work out. EAT SOMETHING WHILE/AFTER YOU DRINK. Your hangovers will decrease in severity and frequency. Drink lots and lots and lots of water.

You could try joining a club or something if you're REALLY feeling guilty. Like karate or a softball league. Or, if you want a legitimate reason for your headaches and tiredness, join your nearest rugby club.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
My workout routine these days is 5 days a week (must be younger than you PeterMetro.)
Or just in better shape.

I find that this exercise routine, and lots of OJ mitigates (to a large degree, though now that I near 30, I am starting to worry) my steady diet of coffee, donuts (I am Canadian, and therefore addicted to those things,) pizza and burritos. (A typical daily menu is a donut and coffee for breakfast, a burrito for lunch, a pecan roll midday snack, and another burrito for dinner.) I am 5'11'' with a 33 waist and weigh about 165-170 lbs.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out where you would get a good burrito in Cambridge (especially being from LA). Forrest Cafe is mediocre at best and I'd rather eat cardboard than go to the Border Cafe. The best burrito I've had in the area is at a tiny place in East Somerville called Taqueria Tapatio - and they're Salvadorian, not Mexican. And even that doesn't hold a candle to the stuff I had in San Diego. Are there just not enough Mexicans in the world to provide decent food on the East Coast?

gqelements

Reaction score
One thing most suggestions forgot is food. Oatmeal in the morning is the way to go, 100%. I doubt u have anthrax,... don't worry.
What you may be experiencing is a carbohydrate deficiency. Try eating more [of healthy food] and see if your energy levels rise. Try to include dietary fiber in your meals for better digestion and to regulate any possible insulin spikes. Many of my clients used to complain about chronic fatigue and lack of energy/motivation, most of them were just not eating enough to replenish their energy reserves [trying to loose "˜diet'].
Do, however, visit a doctor for a blood test if eating more, multivitamins, etc do not alleviate the problem.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Burritos from Anna's Taqueria are decent, although I find most food in Boston sort of bland. In fact, I could say the same of Boston fashion and Boston in general. It possesses neither the sophistication and nervous energy of New York nor the exuberance and violent energy of L.A. In fact, I have to say the the defining characteristic of Boston that I have discerned thus far is smug complacency.

But I digress (again.)

Mike C., to have energy, the time you go to sleep is more important than the number of hours you sleep. Try to be disciplined and hit the sack before 2 each night. After all, if your client hasn't done well between 11:30 and 12:30, it's time to cut losses and call it a night anyway.

Healthy living is healthy living.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads