• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I feel hopeless… I need help with STYLE!

coaster

Reaction score
Total noob here. I was hoping a few of you could help me out. Basically, my whole life, I've worn typical high-school kid clothes. Nike running shoes, cargo shorts or jeans, Abercrombie, AE, Gap etc. t-shirts, and that's about it.

After reading more about fashion and what's "stylish" I decided I want to COMPLETELY start over from scratch and build up a respectable wardrobe.

Since then, I have bought a few things like some solid v-necks from express, some fitted Levi's, and a few pairs of decent sneakers.

I'm currently in college going to class every day, and I would like to build up a wardrobe of things that can be worn casually on a daily basis.

I don't want to offend anyone, but I don't want to look overly "feminine" in my clothing selections if you get what I'm saying. Nor do I want to dress like my grandfather.

What kinds of things should I start picking up at the mall, bit by bit, in order to successfully build up a decent selection? I'll list what I have so far…

- 2 pairs of Levi's raw/rigid jeans (one skinny 511 and one 514 slim straight)
- 3 plain tees (1 crew from Ban. Rep. and 2 v's from express)
- 2 fitted dress shirts from Banana Republic
- An assortment of solid polos from RL and Lacoste
- A few pairs of casual sneakers + a pair of white canvas slip-ons + a pair of dark Sperrys

I just feel like I know absolutely nothing about what to buy. For example, I went to the mall today and left empty-handed because I had no idea what would be a good purchase.

If anyone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it!

EDIT: I guess I should include my body type.. I am about 6', 170 . Blonde hair, light complexion.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coaster
Total noob here. I was hoping a few of you could help me out. Basically, my whole life, I've worn typical high-school kid clothes. Nike running shoes, cargo shorts or jeans, Abercrombie, AE, Gap etc. t-shirts, and that's about it. After reading more about fashion and what's "stylish" I decided I want to COMPLETELY start over from scratch and build up a respectable wardrobe. Since then, I have bought a few things like some solid v-necks from express, some fitted Levi's, and a few pairs of decent sneakers. I'm currently in college going to class every day, and I would like to build up a wardrobe of things that can be worn casually on a daily basis. I don't want to offend anyone, but I don't want to look overly "feminine" in my clothing selections if you get what I'm saying. Nor do I want to dress like my grandfather. What kinds of things should I start picking up at the mall, bit by bit, in order to successfully build up a decent selection? I'll list what I have so far… - 2 pairs of Levi's raw/rigid jeans (one skinny 511 and one 514 slim straight) - 3 plain tees (1 crew from Ban. Rep. and 2 v's from express) - 2 fitted dress shirts from Banana Republic - An assortment of solid polos from RL and Lacoste - A few pairs of casual sneakers + a pair of white canvas slip-ons + a pair of dark Sperrys I just feel like I know absolutely nothing about what to buy. For example, I went to the mall today and left empty-handed because I had no idea what would be a good purchase. If anyone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it! EDIT: I guess I should include my body type.. I am about 6', 170 . Blonde hair, light complexion.
no. dont buy **** at the mall. find someone you think is stylish and copy them. study hard or major in film, art or history. your welcome.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For casual? I like

J Crew
Lands End Canvas
Brooks Brothers Slim/Extra-Slim Sport Shirts
Polo Ralph Lauren

If I can, I buy everything on sale. Im sure that will help on the college budget. Youre headed in the right direction. Dont forget shoes. Some Sperrys can be had for cheap (when it gets nicer out), Clarks Desert Boots are great for cheap as well. Keep it slim fitting and you'll look good. Lose the mall brands, I can barely shop at the mall at this point anymore.

mlal

Reaction score
the stuff you have now is fine. To me, Levi's 511 isn't that casual as the other things you have listed. you may want to consider some dress shoes and pants to go with your dress shirts. get more fitted jeans. baggy makes you look "gangsta" and it doesn't look that great anyways. graphic tees can go nice with fitted jeans as long as the tee itself ain't baggy.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlal
the stuff you have now is fine. To me, Levi's 511 isn't that casual as the other things you have listed. you may want to consider some dress shoes and pants to go with your dress shirts. get more fitted jeans. baggy makes you look "gangsta" and it doesn't look that great anyways. graphic tees can go nice with fitted jeans as long as the tee itself ain't baggy.
hang on ... werent you the guy that asked if these were fake or not? http://www.eoooi.com/images/LJ-8001.jpg i think you need more help then this poor guy
smile.gif

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you feel hopeless, then you are hopeless.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coaster
I don't want to offend anyone, but I don't want to look overly "feminine" in my clothing selections if you get what I'm saying. Nor do I want to dress like my grandfather.

What kinds of things should I start picking up at the mall

facepalm.gif

Okay but seriously... buy a few nicer items that complement your existing wardrobe but are DIFFERENT.
The biggest mistake guys make is buy basically crap you already own, just nicer. You just end up with a slightly higher-end wardrobe that's just as boring.
Don't be afraid to mix/match/layer lower-end (j.crew, banana republic) with higher-end designers.
Shop not at a mall.
Start with items you need the most help with, then work backwards over a year or so.
If you don't know what you want, don't buy it. Just figure it out. It may take time.

Originally Posted by mlal
graphic tees can go nice with fitted jeans as long as the tee itself ain't baggy.

Fail.

stinger70

Reaction score
you want to have a different wardrobe to "high school kids" so you say, and then go on to say you are going to buy levis, RL polos and canvas slip ons. Isnt that pretty much what all high school/college students wear? Do something different. Look around here and see what interests you.

mlal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meso
facepalm.gif

Okay but seriously... buy a few nicer items that complement your existing wardrobe but are DIFFERENT.
The biggest mistake guys make is buy basically crap you already own, just nicer. You just end up with a slightly higher-end wardrobe that's just as boring.
Don't be afraid to mix/match/layer lower-end (j.crew, banana republic) with higher-end designers.
Shop not at a mall.
Start with items you need the most help with, then work backwards over a year or so.
If you don't know what you want, don't buy it. Just figure it out. It may take time.

Fail.

I'm just saying.... some A&F graphic tees do look nice... >.>

coaster

Reaction score
Ok I appreciate the store recommendations. I'll definitely check those out. So what are some "essential" articles of clothing I need to put in my closet? Just the basics that I can expand on. I need a good mixture of different things.

racknac

Reaction score
i wouldn't try and change your style overnight unless you are super ballin... just make sure everything you buy is quality and more importantly fits your body in the style you want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads