• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I feel cheated by Gilt

Finsen

Reaction score
Man, I love Gilt. I really do. I am sure you all do too.

But I feel cheated having to pay $13 for shipping. I mean, I am not complaining about paying $13. I just feel really sad seeing the postage on the box saying $2.07.

Come on, Gilt, seriously? You asked for $13 for shipping, but you shipped USPS First Class Parcel for $2.07?

I know it costs money for the box, but I really don't see the justification for the overblown shipping fee.

FYI, USPS Priority starts at only $4.95. So, please, next time, have the courtesy of shipping at least Priority when you are charging $13 for shipping.

Thanks.

Hollowthorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Finsen
Man, I love Gilt. I really do. I am sure you all do too.

But I feel cheated having to pay $13 for shipping. I mean, I am not complaining about paying $13. I just feel really sad seeing the postage on the box saying $2.07.

Come on, Gilt, seriously? You asked for $13 for shipping, but you shipped USPS First Class Parcel for $2.07?

I know it costs money for the box, but I really don't see the justification for the overblown shipping fee.

FYI, USPS Priority starts at only $4.95. So, please, next time, have the courtesy of shipping at least Priority when you are charging $13 for shipping.

Thanks.

Or they could just charge you 13 dollars more and label the items as 'free shipping.' I suppose that would appease people?

Finsen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hollowthorn
Or they could just charge you 13 dollars more and label the items as 'free shipping.'

I suppose that would appease people?

I could accept that, at least I wouldn't know that I was being cheated.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
but what about the handling charge i bet this is why they charged so much!

madaboutshirt

Reaction score
$13 sounds reasonable. Maybe they should have explicitly said it was going to be "USPS First Class". but other than that, I don't see a problem.

Personally I don't have a problem with people charging me for "postage and handling", its not just the postage + box, its also the time gone into packaging it and going to the post office etc.

Finsen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
but what about the handling charge i bet this is why they charged so much!

They must be paying really well.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why do people ***** about Gilt so much? Seems like a quarterly thing. My god, we get **** at great prices and yet someone always finds a bone to pick with them. Get over it - that's how they decided to operate their business and you can either take it or leave it. If you leave it, I guarantee that someone will come in and take it for you.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by madaboutshirt
$13 sounds reasonable. Maybe they should have explicitly said it was going to be "USPS First Class". but other than that, I don't see a problem.

Personally I don't have a problem with people charging me for "postage and handling", its not just the postage + box, its also the time gone into packaging it and going to the post office etc.

Who is that in your avatar, if you don't mind me asking?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
Why do people ***** about Gilt so much? Seems like a quarterly thing. My god, we get **** at great prices and yet someone always finds a bone to pick with them. Get over it - that's how they decided to operate their business and you can either take it or leave it. If you leave it, I guarantee that someone will come in and take it for you.

I agree with you, but keep in mind this is a direct consequence of Gilt's business model - that they caters to the bargain hunters among us.

On another note, Gilt shipping seems to be a flat rate (if not, then between $11-13 for anything). So OP would pay the same amount had he buy a pair of shoes (where actual shipping cost across the country can exceed $13) or some accessories (tie/cufflinks etc.). Not unfair really, just how it is.

madaboutshirt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
On another note, Gilt shipping seems to be a flat rate (if not, then between $11-13 for anything). So OP would pay the same amount had he buy a pair of shoes (where actual shipping cost across the country can exceed $13) or some accessories (tie/cufflinks etc.). Not unfair really, just how it is.

I'm in Aus and sometimes sell on Ebay. I always charge a flat fee to ship the goods to everywhere in the country because its just too much hassle and time consuming if everyone asked me to find out the actuall shipping cost.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think we're "spoiled" by B&S, where the norm is to declare prices including shipping. so that when you go to eBay or Gilt, there's a small amount of surprise that the amount you've mentally prepared yourself to pay is not the final amount that you actually do pay.

but it's not like they fail to disclose anything - we all know full well that we are paying that much for shipping, and if we think it's excessive we can choose not to buy..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads