• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I drive a Jag-u-ar (Ferrell SNL skit)

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please read first... http://snltranscripts.jt.org/04/04sspy.phtml Who has seen this skit? I believe it's called "The Spy". He sits at a bar and pretends to be a British spy who is also a spokesman for Jaguar, but pronounces Jaguar in a ridiculously sophisticated manner. I've tried to find it online with no luck. We use to repeat this skit when the appropriate time came-after boozing. Once while on vacation in Orlando, a friend and I were at an ihop at around 3am. The bill comes, my friend says: "Ma'am I don't see my discount on here" Waitress: "What discount" Friend: "Jag-u-ar" Waitress: "Excuse me" Friend: "I drive a Jag-u-ar" We ended up getting 30% off our bill, I'm not even remotely ******** you. The waitress was a tad on the slow side. I still don't think she knew what we meant. Earlier in the night I was lighting a stoggie near the exit of a bar before walking outside in the windy night, and a lady informed me I'd have to light it outside. She was right, until I informed her of the fact that "I drive a Jag-u-ar". The look on her face was priceless because I honestly think she thought I was serious. I don't believe this is on the best of Will Ferrell volumes, but I'm hoping to catch it on a re-run sometime...

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No offense, but it seems like you're making yourself look(sound) foolish. This is the standard British way of saying it, not a ridiculously sophisticated pronunciation (think 'ad-ver-TIZ-ment). You sound like my 5 year old kids when they put on fake English accents trying to imitate their UK schoolmates....

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
No offense, but it seems like you're making yourself look(sound) foolish. This is the standard British way of saying it, not a ridiculously sophisticated pronunciation (think 'ad-ver-TIZ-ment). You sound like my 5 year old kids when they put on fake English accents trying to imitate their UK schoolmates....

I guess you haven't seen the skit. The entire point of saying it is to sound foolish.

Cavalier

Reaction score
He's an American comedian obviously poking fun at it, so I could believe he says it really outlandishly.... but +1 on it being pronounced jag-u-ar

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
I guess you haven't seen the skit. The entire point of saying it is to sound foolish.

Nope, haven't seen it.

zubin

Reaction score
do you like luxury?

its funny that you should mention this skit cuz my friends and i quote this often. At first, i didnt think the skit was that funny until the 2nd time i saw it. Its pretty damn good in a very subtle way

needless to say, do you like luxury is one of our phrases now

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We're talking about the world's finest motorcar. Imagine going to a hand car wash and getting out of the car right as they are about to dry it, grabbing the towel and examining it. What is this? A towel, sir. Good god man, this is a goddamn Jag-u-ar. Only the finest silks from the Balkins that crossed the swelling seas will do.

zubin

Reaction score
my parents have a jaguar xj8 and all the old white folks used to tell me "what a lovely car" when i would drive it around

old white people

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
someone got a link to the clip they can post?

Agnacious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan

Quite so. I really don't see how this is funny. This is like laughing at someone pronouncing it as PorschA instead of Porsh. But then again, I did grow up in Boston with jagUar, AdverTIZment, ALuMINiUM, and a bunch of extra u's and s's instead of z's that I later found were shunned by others. So I guess I just don't get it.

In thinking about it though, I guess I would find a skit with a barefoot southern woman holding a baby of indeterminate origin asking about my jagWar humorous, mostly though, because it happened. Different stokes I guess.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious
Quite so. I really don't see how this is funny. This is like laughing at someone pronouncing it as PorschA instead of Porsh. But then again, I did grow up in Boston with jagUar, AdverTIZment, ALuMINiUM, and a bunch of extra u's and s's instead of z's that I later found were shunned by others. So I guess I just don't get it.

Does the pronounciation of "insurance" split along north/south lines? In the past year or so, I've realized everyone here says "INsurance", even in commercials. All my life, I've said "inSURance", and everyone else in my lawn-guyland-born-and-raised family does as well.

AluMINium is the Queens English pronounciation, if I'm not mistaken, although I don't think I've ever heard it in spoken conversation where it wasn't clearly in jest.

Agnacious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Does the pronounciation of "insurance" split along north/south lines? In the past year or so, I've realized everyone here says "INsurance", even in commercials. All my life, I've said "inSURance", and everyone else in my lawn-guyland-born-and-raised family does as well.

AluMINium is the Queens English pronounciation, if I'm not mistaken, although I don't think I've ever heard it in spoken conversation where it wasn't clearly in jest.

Yes I believe that is one of those words that does. Here is a test that contained it:

http://www.alphadictionary.com/artic..._advanced.html

0% dixie btw, thank god.

But your are right about the uncommon usage of words, but the school I attended supported, the nanny (or whatever she was called at the time) was from the UK, and my father was militant, lest the cries of the OED arose. My speech has modified through the years to the norms, but my father fights on still.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious

In thinking about it though, I guess I would find a skit with a barefoot southern woman holding a baby of indeterminate origin asking about my jagWar humorous, mostly though, because it happened. Different stokes I guess.

I guess you didn't read the skit, or you are too dim-witted to understand it. It's not the pronunciation of the word that's funny, it's the entire skit. The pronunciation is just a small part of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads