• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I drive a Jag-u-ar (Ferrell SNL skit)

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious
I really don't see how this is funny. I did grow up in Boston with jagUar, AdverTIZment, ALuMINiUM, and a bunch of extra u's and s's instead of z's that I later found were shunned by others. So I guess I just don't get it.
This is crap.
Born & bred here in New England and NO ONE pronounces aluminium or jaguar the way you say. As for adverTIZment, yeah, how else are you supposed to pronounce it? (It's the first pronounciation in all dictionaries).
Now about the British. On purpose (and with scorn) they anglicize most foreign words brought in to the English lexicon. During WWI, when engaged in the devasting battles of Ypres in Belgium (pronounced EE-preh), they insisted upon calling it wipers.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Egdon Heath
This is crap.
Born & bred here in New England and NO ONE pronounces aluminium or jaguar the way you say. As for adverTIZment, yeah, how else are you supposed to pronounce it? (It's the first pronounciation in all dictionaries).
Now about the British. On purpose (and with scorn) they anglicize most foreign words brought in to the English lexicon. During WWI, when engaged in the devasting battles of Ypres in Belgium (pronounced EE-preh), they insisted upon calling it wipers.
Another favorite of mine is Marquis/Marquess becoming "Mar-kwiss" and "Mar-kwess."
rolleyes.gif

Agnacious

Reaction score
This is crap.

Apparently we did not attend the same primary schools in the 60's, and had different family environments. I know plenty of people who pronounce jaguar correctly, they may not have learned it that way as I did, but later decided to make the effort not to sound like an idiot.

But I guess you know best since you purport to be an expert on everyone born in NE.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious
Apparently we did not attend the same primary schools in the 60's, and had different family environments. I know plenty of people who pronounce jaguar correctly, they may not have learned it that way as I did, but later decided to make the effort not to sound like an idiot.
Whadda you mean apparently; the phrase is of course we fuckin' didn't attend the same primary school. I'm in Maine. You were in Massachusettes. Now explain that swipe about family environments please.​

Agnacious

Reaction score
Whadda you mean apparently; the phrase is of course we fuckin' didn't attend the same primary school. I'm in Maine. You were in Massachusettes. Now explain that swipe about family environments please.

No swipe, as I stated previously, the women my father employed were from the UK. I don't know what the modern term would be, but cleaning, nanny, tutor etc. And to my father there was only one correct pronunciation, so my environment was one of immersion. Since I have no knowledge of your environment, I suggested it could have been different.

People down east usually don't get offended so easily.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
I guess you didn't read the skit, or you are too dim-witted to understand it. It's not the pronunciation of the word that's funny, it's the entire skit. The pronunciation is just a small part of it.
Oh, I understand it, I just don't think it's funny. ~ H

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...During WWI, when engaged in the devasting battles of Ypres in Belgium (pronounced EE-preh), they insisted upon calling it wipers.
That was a gag (joke). Soldiers always give things funny names. In 1860, the British fought a Chinese general named Sang-ko-lin-sin. They dubbed him "Sam Collinson."

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
That was a gag (joke). Soldiers always give things funny names. In 1860, the British fought a Chinese general named Sang-ko-lin-sin. They dubbed him "Sam Collinson."
What were the funny names those cut-ups gave Auschwitz, Treblinka and Dachau?
Your statement is inane.​

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What were the funny names those cut-ups gave Auschwitz, Treblinka and Dachau?
Your statement is inane.​
His statement is only as inane as yours is ignorant and extremist. Soldiers do give funny names to everything they can to try and ameliorate some of their more routine horrors. Auschwitz was hardly a routine event. I think you are bordering on insulting soldiers here generally, which is pretty poor taste... ~ Huntsman

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I think you are bordering on insulting soldiers here generally, which is pretty poor taste...
And I think one would have to squeeze really hard, which you have obviously done, to disfigure my previous comment into one of insulting soldiers. It's you I'm insulting now, not or never the soldiers.​

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
The Saturday Night Live skit was poking fun at the Jaguar commercials from a few years back. The voice over in the commercials stated jaguar about 15 times in a 30 second spot. It wasn't just pronounced Jag-U-ar it was more like Jag-U-ar. It wasn't a very appealing ad. The commercials reminded me of '"would you happen to have any grey poupon" only jaguar was trying be serious. The commercials were a little silly as most who can afford luxury remember the Jaguar as a car which spends more time in the shop than on the road.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/jaguar

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And I think one would have to squeeze really hard, which you have obviously done, to disfigure my previous comment into one of insulting soldiers. It's you I'm insulting now, not or never the soldiers.​
As I said, "bordering on insulting soldiers." Your comment seems critical, even dismissive, of soldiers' practice of referring to terrible things with humour. Followed by "those cut-ups" (referring to soldiers, obviously) with the implication that they would make humourous names for some of the worst atrocities we have known (which would not have been likely), seems very critical of soldiers' ways, or perhaps their intelligence. I'm sorry, but that's the train of reasoning indicated to me by your comments; it is a train not derived from much (if any) squeezing. Pray enlighten me to your actual meaning. ~ Huntsman

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...Your statement is inane.
Orsini: [Does Jack Benny-style take: folds arms and snaps head around with chin slightly elevated] Well!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads