• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

i dress like a 12 year old...

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, figure you guys might get a kick out of this one.

background. i'm 35 and work at a software company as a manager. Fridays are casual day and i'm in my standard getup, button down shirt, sweater, khaki's, and my John Varvatos Cons.

i get called into a sales presentation to help answer technical questions that our sales staff can't handle. about 30-35 minutes into the meeting while we're discussing what metadata can be used to kick off workflow processes within our application, our client, who is starely intently at my shoes just blurts out, "those are the shoes i used to wear when i was 12! Jack Purcells. they're pretty cool."

needless to say it was embarrassing although i don't think our client meant it that way. what really sucked was that 4 of my peers were there.

maybe it's time to change my casual outfit....

-Jeff

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
since its in the office, you might still want to put on some shoes... allen edmonds or so..

but JP Cons are definitely quite good for actual casual wear

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
maybe he was hitting on you
tounge.gif

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
come on man, its the software industry.

if someone had said that ot me, I would've taken it as a compliment.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
that's nothing...I get similar comments from my boss, tho he says it admiringly (i think)

"I remember Howdy Doody used to wear a shirt like that"

"We used to wear those when I was a kid (back in the 60s)"

"I remember when we didnt wash our jeans for as long as we could too"

etc

skunkworks

Reaction score
He works in the software industry.

hustlenflo22

Reaction score
What does that have to do with anything? A professional is a professional...I mean, it's up to you, you dress yourself with the understanding (to some degree at least) that people will make judgments, no? And yea, Get Smart, seems your boss is just a dick

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a baseball player is a professional too. doesn't mean he wears his edward green's on the field.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hank_dean_scooter.jpg
Sometimes I think Hank and Dean Venture would get a WAYWN pass.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
He complimented your shoes, most people have fond memories of being twelve. I think you should be glad he said what he did rather than something like "my 78 year old grandfather has those exact same shoes."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics