I don't want to buy these Steve Maddens...

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by kpyeoman, Jun 4, 2016.

1. kpyeoman

kpyeoman Member

Hi all,

I've been absent for some time from this forum, but have received excellent advice in the past and I'm hoping for some help once again.

My brother is getting married in September. He's going with a mid-grey vest and trousers combo and his fiance would like everyone in "cognac" coloured shoes. The choice so far is these Steve Maddens http://www.stevemadden.ca/product/T...source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=PLA

I wear Oxfords or derby shoes each day at work, and if I'm going to put $140+ towards a shoe, I'd like it to be something better than the above. I own two pairs of AEs (PAs and Hinsdale) and would like something of similar quality. The challenge I have is that I live in Canada and buying AEs often requires a second mortgage on a house (I've bought mine on sale 1/2 off).

Any suggestions for other options besides the Steve Maddens? I'm looking for something ~$300 CAD and in a similar colour. I'd prefer an Oxford over a derby as I'd like to be able to wear them with navy suits in the future.

Many thanks!

Paul

2. jcarter889

jcarter889 Member

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

4. kpyeoman

kpyeoman Member

Sorry for the delayed response and thanks for the tip! I ended up getting a pair of chestnut Meermin Oxfords. Much nicer than any shoe I can find at the mall, but they're damn heavy shoes! I wasn't expecting the double sole and I'm hoping they're going to break I okay. I'll post a picture once I have one. The colour is darker than I expected...less of a tan and more of a light brown.

5. Dr Gary

Dr Gary Member

A good choice at that price point. You would not have been happy with the Maddens.

6. Alpha11

Alpha11 Senior member

I have to agree with the above recommendation as the other two options that were presented was not very good shoes. If I may add, Cole Hann has to be one of the worst shoes out but the SM are not far behind. Great to hear you took the right route!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016