1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I don't wanna go to chelsea...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AJL, Apr 25, 2004.

1. AJL

AJL Distinguished Member

Still searching for that perfect pair. So far have eliminated the Church's Amberley at the urging of those here who claim the leather's inferior, and also the fact that they seem overpriced ($490. @ Needless Markup). Now I'm looking at C&J, which is priced quite well at PLAL, and the Tim Little version, the Roberta. To me the Tim Little version looks prettier and more shapely (it's pathetic I know, referring to shoes as if they're women), but I'm not sure how much is due to variations in the quality/angle of photos as well as shoe color, vs. the last etc. From the photo, the Autumn Brown looks quite nice. The Tim Little version is more $ than C&J, but not a whole lot more. Any input? http://www.timlittle.com/public_html.../ROBERTA_l.jpg http://www.pediwear.co.uk/images/sho...otschelsea.jpg

2. jcusey

jcusey Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

How about this pair on Bluefly? I think, although I'm not certain, that they're also made by C&J (the description just says that they're "imported"). Of the two options that you presented, I like the shape of the Tim Little boot better than the C&J boot, but I'm fairly certain that the C&J boot would be of higher quality.

3. AJL

AJL Distinguished Member

Yes, I noticed these on Bluefly, problem is as I pointed out on E.G. Cardiff/Bluefly thread, I am a 7 1/2 (unless it's a small 8, as I'm hoping the Cardiffs are...). As far as Tim Little's quality, I get the impression that his stuff is well made from fairly high-grade materials. Of course I base this on info from his own websight which naturally will not want to give the impression that "our stuff sucks". Other than that, I have heard no other real world experience feedback on T.L. shoes.

4. jcusey

jcusey Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

All I really know about Tim Little shoes comes from a pair of Moonrise Blues that I bought a couple of years ago. I really like the styling (think Chelsea boot, only in a shoe, on a chiseled, square-toe last), but I've been less happy with the fit of the shoes. They're the hardest shoes I've ever worn. Everything about them is stiff, and I'm someone who has never understood why people call English shoes stiff. In spite of the fact that I really like the styling, I just don't wear them very often because I'm really not comfortable when I do. As far as construction goes, they're perfectly competently made. They're stitched aloft, but that's okay at the price they go for. The only thing about the construction that I really don't like is the blue-stained soles, and that's part of Tim Little's shtick. They're just not particularly comfortable. I suspect that this is a combination of the materials used and the peculiarities of my feet. Others on this board and the Ask Andy board have speculated and/or asserted that they're made by Alfred Sargent. That seems reasonable to me, although I can't say for sure. If they are made by Alfred Sargent, however, I can say that the standards of manufacture aren't equivalent to the Peal shoes made by Alfred Sargent being sold at Brooks Brothers. Regardless, the shoes are made by one of the 6 or 8 remaining shoe factories in Northampton: Tim Little is a designer, not a manufacturer. Tim Little has recently introduced a Black Sole line, which is supposedly made to higher standards. I think that board participant MPS has seen the shoes and commented favorably about them, but that's all I know.

5. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior Member

I can't really help on the question. I just wanted to say your title was rather clever.