• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I don't think that Bespoke and MTM are for novice

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It breaks my heart, more and more I am seeing new posters here who waste (sometimes) thousands on a botched custom job. I really feel that unless someone has a very good understanding on fit or a really fantastic tailor, they should stick to OTR.

Not to pick on the OP on the Tom ford thread , because there are many, many threads like this every other day, but just imagine the possibilities at Ford's price point. What if one of the more fashionable suit experts here had complete access to his fabric and MTM service.

I can only imagine how a poster who just paid top dollar for a custom suit feels when they come hear only to find out that they wasted their money.

So people please, PLEASE consult SF BEFORE buying bespoke or stick with OTR!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
That Tom Ford suit IS RTW, made worse since it was foisted on the poor guy by salespeople who live up to the first part of his screen name.

- B

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking that it might be helpful to have a thread where the forum experts can post pictures of proper fitting tailored clothing...

crpz32

Reaction score
just wait until I post pix of my bespoke suits. will surely make you cry!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
I was thinking that it might be helpful to have a thread where the forum experts can post pictures of proper fitting tailored clothing...

There might not be any examples of such on the Internet.

- B

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

- B

experts or proper fitting clothes?

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

- B

They can just look through the waywt thread. There's tons of examples there.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander

but also examples of poorly fitting garments. I don't know the thread was just a thought. Maybe something like this is how a jacket should fit, etc. as opposed to look how great my coordination is today.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
experts or proper fitting clothes?

Hmmm...what would Solomon do with this choice? I'll have to ponder and then get back to you.

Last time I looked, I saw this:

103_1839.jpg

I do like the photograph a lot, I admit, but this combination is beyond my ability to pull off.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So people please, PLEASE consult SF BEFORE buying bespoke or stick with OTR!

As B. said, the Tom Ford suit you refer to is RTW, not MTM or bespoke. Actually, only a few SF members wear multi-thousand dollar bespoke suits. 80% of the bespoke suits we see here are WW Chan--and most aren't tragic.

Call me arrogant, but I think the bigger problem is that a lot of people just don't know how to assess a bespoke suit. First of all, many of their expectations come from RTW marketing. Fit, style, and physique get conflated; people can't help but compare the wearer to an ideal that is often unachievable and may have nothing to do with the clothes. Second, bespoke is about making the client happy, nobody else. Plenty of people think I've wasted money on my Rubinacci jackets and suits, but I love the way I feel and look in them. They are exactly as I want them--or as close to that as possible. Thus, a criticism of a bespoke project is meaningless unless it accounts for the desires of the client; if you are using a RTW 'look' as your ideal, bespoke will almost always lose.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some fit issues are subjective (long/short coat, teh drape/no drape, sleeve length etc) some are objective. You can get a poorly fitting garment from RTW, MTM and bespoke, up and down the price ladder. I am a big believer in first finding your "style" via RTW and then going bespoke if yuo want to. And by bespoke, I mean going to someone who does the style you want, not getting a mediocre tailor to copy something. Quite frankly, most people don't have the "eye" and style sense to be able to succesfully navigate cloth books and communicate to a tailor what they want.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've started buying cheap MTM suits online (Ravis, TaT, C&tD), because nothing OTR fits me. I have no illusion that any of them will fit awfully well though, especially without any proper fittings.

If I was able to buy OTR suits that fit then I would simply do that, but anything OTR looks like I'm wearing something 2 sizes too big (because it is).

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Call me arrogant, but I think the bigger problem is that a lot of people just don't know how to assess a bespoke suit. First of all, many of their expectations come from RTW marketing. Fit, style, and physique get conflated; people can't help but compare the wearer to an ideal that is often unachievable and may have nothing to do with the clothes. Second, bespoke is about making the client happy, nobody else. Plenty of people think I've wasted money on my Rubinacci jackets and suits, but I love the way I feel and look in them. They are exactly as I want them--or as close to that as possible. Thus, a criticism of a bespoke project is meaningless unless it accounts for the desires of the client; if you are using a RTW 'look' as your ideal, bespoke will almost always lose.
Certain people think that by using Ford's MTM service they can achieve the Daniel Craig suit silhouette. Problem is, after they pay for it they come here asking for advice because they sense that something is off and they want to get other people's opinion. And usually, the problem is unfixable and certain places are strict about their return policy. Again, I am just using this as an example, but the fact remains that people are trying to achieve a certain look. You are not going to get that look if you don't know what your doing and are completely relying on a salesperson.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads