• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Don't Really Care About Clothes Anymore

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody else start at this forum because they were really interested in men's clothing, somewhere along the way lost that interest, but continued to hang around to discuss all other topics?

That's kind of where I am right now.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I certainly learned a lot about high end shoes, but once I changed my shoe rotation (currently at 45 or so pairs) I lost interest as well.
SF is more of a compulsion now. Alas I don't need any more shoes nor clothes.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
that is kind of where i am at right now too. actually i was only really interested in shoes and neckties and accessories, i could care less about shirts and pants unless i can get a great deal on a good product. i always have everything relatively fitted, ironed, and clean. and matching.

however, even with shoes, my interest has waned tremendously since a couple months ago when i had to sell all my stuff.
i still post here and talk about shoes mostly out of comraderie with people here. i think that is important.
but i still get blown away when i see some special shoes.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to be the same way with cars. I would read every post on a BMW forum for years until I got to the point where I knew a lot about fixing and racing my car and could really learn more only by learning directly from people rather than internet car geeks. I no longer read any of those BMW posts, but I still hit the track whenever I can and know way more about it than all but the most experienced track junkies.

Most of the threads in Tailored Clothing no longer interest me, but I still care about clothes. I'm still here for the clothing deals, the occasional tidbit of useful info, and the periodic Tip Top outings where I can still learn something from the other attendees.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
I certainly learned a lot about high end shoes, but once I changed my shoe rotation (currently at 45 or so pairs) I lost interest as well.
SF is more of a compulsion now. Alas I don't need any more shoes nor clothes.

I pretty much feel exactly the same way. Finally something we can agree on.

cheers.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I still care. I care less. I am less interested in talking about them. But my interest is not wholly gone.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
I used to be the same way with cars. I would read every post on a BMW forum for years until I got to the point where I knew a lot about fixing and racing my car and could really learn more only by learning directly from people rather than internet car geeks. I no longer read any of those BMW posts, but I still hit the track whenever I can and know way more about it than all but the most experienced track junkies.

Most of the threads in Tailored Clothing no longer interest me, but I still care about clothes. I'm still here for the clothing deals, the occasional tidbit of useful info, and the periodic Tip Top outings where I can still learn something from the other attendees.

I still take great care in dressing myself in the morning and am still interested in it on a personal level. I like to look good and wearing suits, ties, jackets, yada yada yada. But, it no longer really interests me to the point where I want to discuss it on a message board.

On the other hand, I find the discussions on this board on other topics to be much better than on other message boards. People here are a little smarter and a bit more civil than most other message boards I've come across.

Also, I think it has something to do with the fact that I just got a new apartment and my fiance and I are getting married soon, so I'm a lot more interested in things like furniture, rugs, etc. than clothes.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah, I learned a little bit of intersting clothes stuff, but my overall philiosphy of dressing is very spartan - I don't want or need more than 12 or so suits, and 5 or so pairs of dress shoes, and I am not into the more "dandified" side, so at one point the discussions become less relevant. and the streetware has never interested me.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Most posters on "fashion" board are interested in dressing well but maybe not in fashion design as a discipline, it is thus logical that once they have the sufficient knowledge and garments to dress as they wish their interest sort of dissipates, their needs having been sated. Nothing wrong with that, however, this forum has no designated Jersey defender should you wish to leave, your presence is thus required.
smile.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I never talk about clothes in real life, other than specific and rare conversations with close friends, so this forum is a good outlet to share information and ideas.

But I bet a lof of guys on here are casual dressers (casual in the sense they arent obsessed with finding the right gear or collecting ____), hit a plateau where they've pretty much gotten what they need to know about clothes and there's nothing more for them so it gets dull and they move on. Which is normal, I know I've gone thru that in other lifestyle forums where I only needed >this much< info and anymore was not of interest for me.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Once I had a serviceable wardrobe I moved on to other acquisition disorders. Now even those disorders have been sated. I even eschewed my jackets for the summer. Last week I wore short sleeves to the office(!)

Of course there's that whole moving thing that's making me look at my things and say - why-o-why did I buy that??? I think moving should be mandatory, just so you can look at the things you've accumulated and resolve to never be so frivolous again.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in much of the same boat. I dress casually virtually every day, so I've been able to identify the brands and styles I like and just buy those when I want or when my current clothes wear out. I'm still concerned with looking good in what I wear, but I really don't care a great deal about all of the subtle nuances of construction. The forum has been very helpful to me in identifying good brands that I had never heard of before, but I feel like I've learned most of this by now.

If I ever get to the point where I once again need to wear suits on a daily basis, I'll most likely overhaul my wardrobe. I'm not really happy with the quality of most of my suits or dress shirts, and many of my ties are dated. However, given that I basically only wear suits for weddings, funerals, and the very rare client meeting, I can get by on what I have.

All that said, I still enjoy visiting here for many of the reasons posted above. It's generally a good internet community we have here.

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't care so, at the beginning to middle ,so perhaps then, I will care more towards, the end .

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm at the exact opposite.

The more I read the more I care and my interest increases. It is moving from general understanding and appreciation to a greater attention to details and I'm only starting to understand what I like or not.

I'm also starting to understand that there is not just one answer to a single question, not just one silhouette type that looks good (sorry Manton and iammatt) and that a little diversity and side steps into other style sensibilities are refreshing

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads