• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I don't get my shoe sizing...

brandall10

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on a pair of AE Park Avenues. I realize that the 5 last is long and narrow. My feet are long and narrow. Let's party.

A Brannock device says I am an 8.5A, from about 6 mos ago when I was professionally measured.

First up, tried an 8.5D and 8D at Nordstrom Rack, which is all they had. They 8.5D was clearly too big, the 8D seemed like it was maybe a tad bit big (with dress socks, with athletic socks they were great... but that's sacrilege, no?).

Next up, I ordered a couple pairs from Zappos (couldn't find them locally). Got an 8C and 7.5D. Both work better than the 8D (which I bought and brought home just in case it was "the one"), glovelike in a way. I'm not really sure which works better. The 8C feels more snug around the midfoot, but slight heel slip. The 7.5D feels better all around. So I'm thinking the 7.5D. Unfortunately the 7.5D also has a protruding staple hole in the insole which is bothersome, so it will have to go back regardless. Boo.

So to my question - how is it that my foot measures 8.5A, yet the shoe that feels the best is a 7.5D? I've never purchased a 7.5 size shoe since, oh I was 12, and I've had athletic shoes up to 9.5 over the years. Looking at zappos like 80% say "true to size", and the worst I've heard on this last is to size down 1/2 and up one on width. Yet I'm down a whole size and up 3 on width. My theory is I have a very narrow heel which pushes back into the rear of the shoe more than normal before it feels snug?

Sorry for this being all over the place, it's just I want to be sure the $330 shoes I'm about to purchase won't betray me once they start breaking in - esp as far as random foot pain or whatnot. I mean the 7.5D _feels_ best (+ I read several threads here/googled for info on discerning proper fitment), but can I trust my instinct on this? Unfortunately my only experience is with junky Kenneth Cole shoes (8.5D) which I've had for the past dozen years, loose enough that I usually wear black athletic socks...

Drydis Greis

Reaction score
I'm the same...I'm an 8.5D in regular American sizing but a 9E in EG and an 8.5E in GG and JL. I just purchased a pair of G. Cleverley Norwegian Split Toes in 9E, waiting to receive them to verify fit. It all has to do with the Last the shoe is built on.

greyinla

Reaction score
Brannock devices are simply a place to start; there is no universal size standard, and many people's brannock "size" is quite different from what actually fits them.

Also, the AE 5 last is not the best one to judge your standard size. And some people have a difficult time getting a good fit in a balmoral style shoe regardless.

But if a 7.5D fits and is comfortable after repeated wearing, you take a 7.5D, at least in that size and last.

BTW, if you're going to pay full retail for a pair of AEs, you might try a B&M retail source that will work w/ you on an exchange if they don't end up fitting.

greyinla

Reaction score
Brannock devices are simply a place to start; there is no universal size standard, and many people's brannock "size" is quite different from what actually fits them.

Also, the AE 5 last is not the best one to judge your standard size. (I can't wear a PA in any size, even going two steps up/down in length/width from my normal one.) And some people have a difficult time getting a good fit in a balmoral style shoe regardless.

But if a 7.5D fits and is comfortable after repeated wearing, you take a 7.5D, at least in that brand, size, and last.

BTW, if you're going to pay full retail for a pair of AEs, you might try a B&M retail source that will work w/ you on an exchange if they don't end up fitting.

brandall10

Reaction score
Thanks Guys.

greyinla, RE: B&M, the problem is I can't find these shoes locally.

countcount, the 8.5D was too long to the point of being clownish (like 1.5" in toe, ball of foot behind the widest part), so I ruled out the 8.5A.

countcount

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brandall10
countcount, the 8.5D was too long to the point of being clownish (like 1.5" in toe, ball of foot behind the widest part), so I ruled out the 8.5A.
When I was looking for a pair of AE PA, I tried a 9.5D which was ok. I tried a 9.5A for a week which hurt my toes. I ended up getting a 10A which fit well. May not hurt to try a 8.5A for fit.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brannock device is dodgy on width.

Carefully note where the ball of your foot flexes -- it should do so in the widest part of the shoe. The amount of shoe in front of your big toe is irrelevant. Many lasts are elongated. What looks clownish to you now (long and narrow) looked elegant to the man who made the last many years ago.

One sign that there could be a better size: uncomfortable creasing.

Heel slippage might stop once you break in the soles. Or it might not. Only one way to find out ...

It might take a few years and more than one pair to finally learn what exactly is your best fitting last / size / style.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brandall10
Unfortunately the 7.5D also has a protruding staple hole in the insole which is bothersome, so it will have to go back regardless.

If you mean those 2 pinhole sized incisions in the insole that are closer together than a standard staple, that's normal. I've had them on all 4 pairs of AE I've owned. Some have speculated that they result from how the shoes are hung on the production line.

Originally Posted by Dewey
Brannock device is dodgy on width.

Carefully note where the ball of your foot flexes -- it should do so in the widest part of the shoe. The amount of shoe in front of your big toe is irrelevant. Many lasts are elongated. What looks clownish to you now (long and narrow) looked elegant to the man who made the last many years ago.

One sign that there could be a better size: uncomfortable creasing.

Heel slippage might stop once you break in the soles. Or it might not. Only one way to find out ...

It might take a few years and more than one pair to finally learn what exactly is your best fitting last / size / style.

Perhaps not what the OP wanted to hear, but quite true in my experience as well.

brandall10

Reaction score
Thanks Guys.

Based on what I've read here, it still seems like the 7.5D is the best shoe. The one I tried flexes right at the widest part, and is actually snug enough that it feels like my foot and the shoe flex together (glovelike - at least at that part of the shoe + the heel). My main concern is how the shoe changes once break-in, and Dewey said there's only one way to find out.

So I guess I misunderstood the previous comment about the B&M - it just dawned on me that Nordstrom has a return policy like Costco's... guess maybe I should just order a pair thru them.

brandall10

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
If you mean those 2 pinhole sized incisions in the insole that are closer together than a standard staple, that's normal. I've had them on all 4 pairs of AE I've owned. Some have speculated that they result from how the shoes are hung on the production line.
Yeah. The thing is, this is only an issue on the right 7.5d - the other shoes have the holes, but they are not raised like this one - it snags my sock as I put the shoe on, I feel it a bit underfoot. Maybe that could be fixed by rubbing the area some, maybe it will go away with break-in... I'd rather not find out on shoes this costly. I'll just source another pair.
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Perhaps not what the OP wanted to hear, but quite true in my experience as well.
That's absolutely what I wanted to hear
smile.gif
. As someone who manages software projects, I like to hear the good and the bad as up front as possible. Just gleaning any extra wisdom I can to make a balanced decision.

Racove

Reaction score
honestly, i struggle with this all the time. best advice is to buy like 3 or 4 pairs online from endless.com in similar widths & lenghts. wear each of them at home on carpet for a bit. see what works. still hard to get right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads