1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I don't get Korean BBQ/Hotpot

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by SField, Jun 12, 2011.

1. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

the sticky rice-sheet wrapper

hell yeah. this wrapped around a thin slice of beef that you've put on the grill for a few seconds. damn, getting hungry for some Korean BBQ.

-Jeff

2. SField

SField Senior member

I have a hard time evaluating Korean BBQ objectively since I grew up with the stuff. I guess I agree with you that it's not the best experience in the world, but I still find it satisfying. At least you went to a place with charcoal and not a little gas grill. But I guess Korean BBQ isn't really about the Maillard reaction or the charring. And which cut & preparation of meat you get makes a huge difference. I personally like tongue (hyuh mit gui), but a lot of the other non-marinated cuts are pretty boring. Korean BBQ places have evolved quite a bit over the last couple of decades--the sticky rice-sheet wrapper that substitutes for the lettuce at some places, the condiments that you get, etc.

I'm curious about the Korean foods that you do like. Japchae is probably among my least favorite Korean foods--I find it pretty pedestrian in flavor. Korean blood sausage is pretty tasty (though admittedly among the best of the world's blood sausages). And the newfangled Korean fried chicken is pretty awesome.

I had these korean fried chicken wings which were very good.

I generally enjoy most noodle dishes, given the jajamyun love.

3. blahman

blahman Senior member

Another thing about grill and hotpot is that it is not just about the food but an experience. People usually do that in groups and in winter. They crowd around a communal pot/grill and get warmth from the hot food and chilly sauce. It is also a very intimate bonding experience with friends and family being very hands on helping each other with cooking and sharing the food - instead of just doing your own thing on the plate in front of you.

4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i think you just went to a place with bad meat.

even in korea you gotta choose the places that display their meat as you walk in. good korean cow can have really awesome marbling.

also it's more of a family dining, and like impolyt said primordial, kinda thing.

i personally really really love it when the meat is good and the banchan is generous. gosh i miss good korean food.

5. SField

SField Senior member

Another thing about grill and hotpot is that it is not just about the food but an experience. People usually do that in groups and in winter. They crowd around a communal pot/grill and get warmth from the hot food and chilly sauce. It is also a very intimate bonding experience with friends and family being very hands on helping each other with cooking and sharing the food - instead of just doing your own thing on the plate in front of you.

That I do get. I love family style dining, and this obviously takes it to another level.

6. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

It caters a lot to Korean businesses and families. Eat at your own pace, drink a lot of shitty soju and beer, then go to some pojangmacha or karaoke and drink some more.

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

It caters a lot to Korean businesses and families. Eat at your own pace, drink a lot of shitty soju and beer, then go to some pojangmacha or karaoke and drink some more.

Do Korean families usually get drunk together as a group?

8. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

Do Korean families usually get drunk together as a group?

Yes at family gatherings D:

9. scientific

scientific Senior member

Korean 'bbq'/whateva is officially The Worst Food in the World™

it's overpriced, bland. and worst of all you're paying typically 30/pp to cook the food yourself - wtf. it's terrible.

shin ramyun are great, though.

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

you just havent had good korean food

11. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

It's more about the company and camaraderie/drinking/etc. than "cooking your own food".

12. matik23

matik23 Senior member

Anyone that resides in Chicago needs to try out Cho Sun Ok, located on Lincoln and Bertreau. Been there for years and always packed at nights.

13. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

definitely about company

though, i did feel like i paid some people to cook my own food

14. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

i agree with SField. I hate any 'cook at the table' cuisines. i dont get it, i always get a sore back leaning forward to the grill or steam boat plus theres a huge chance of someone cross contaminating your cooked beef with their raw pork.

plus youre too busy cooking to sit back, relax and enjoy your company.

we used to go to these all you can eat steamboat places when we were at university because it was all you could eat and all you could drink mid strength beer i always left unsatisfied with the experience.

15. WhateverYouLike

WhateverYouLike Senior member

You guys know you can ask the waiter/tress to cook the meat for you right?

I rarely ever get BBQ these days though - actual korean dishes are growing on me. Jam Pong is my bread and butter in the winter - massive amounts of seafood and burning hot, and like 10 bucks.

16. skywalker

skywalker Senior member

It's hard to find good Korean BBQ in America. I much prefer the ones in Korea.

Damn, I kinda miss Korea a lot. Haven't been there in 3 years!

There's some great ones in LA

Pick a place, literally any place in Koreatown, they will have a $10 or $12 all you can eat. The meat is low grade as fuck, but for $10 AYCE, how gourmet are you expecting it to be? You get some basic sides (kimchi, rice paper, rice, salad, the fluffy egg thing) to go with and it beats the shit out of any other $10 meal.

I know nothing about "higher end" K-bbq places, but the appeal for the cheapest places are definitely there.

Yea it's $10, or you can go to a better place and pay more. I love korean BBQ, and in ktown LA, you are bound to drive by a korean BBQ at every street crossing and find one that fits you.

They do this at Genwa.

[​IMG]

That said I'm no food elitist, I love korean BBQ. It's a terrific meal to eat with friends along with soju and hite. Really can't miss.

17. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Had K-BBQ for dinner, I sat and thought about this thread while eating it and had some thoughts on it I guess; more after I finish some work...

18. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

How to you wrap the food in those rice sheets or radish slices? I'm very good with chopsticks, but I cant put everything together neatly, especially if I use that oil and salt condiment.

19. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

How to you wrap the food in those rice sheets or radish slices? I'm very good with chopsticks, but I cant put everything together neatly, especially if I use that oil and salt condiment.

You just... do it... LOL. Not much to say about it.

20. scientific

scientific Senior member

if it's "about the company" then why am I paying to cook my own food?

might as well have a real bbq at your own house, eat legit good food, and charge a $30 cover!