• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I don't get it . . .

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Sumptuary laws...Which should be reinstated IMO.

We might not have sumptuary laws, but we still have sumptuary taxes - these days they call it VAT (Value Added Tax).

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chinese women bind their feet still, tribes in Africa stretch their necks, Americans watch reality TV...each culture has their own pains they suffer through for "whats cool".

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maccimus
They have some terrible back stories.
Were they used as bindings or something, to restrict growth. China?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Chinese women bind their feet still, tribes in Africa stretch their necks, Americans watch reality TV...each culture has their own pains they suffer through for "whats cool".
With regards to the African tribes I think that effect is temporary. If they remove the rings thier necks return to their natural length. However, not being an orthopaedic surgeon I wouldn't know if there is any long term ill effects from this custom. In light of recent events I can think of a few profession where permanent neck stretching should be made law.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
We might not have sumptuary laws, but we still have sumptuary taxes - these days they call it VAT (Value Added Tax).
You better start to stock up on all your goodies now. 20% after Christmas.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
That's the difference:

toeshape.jpg

More allowance in front of the toes.

+1

The toes don't go all the way to the end, so it can be shaped however you want.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
With regards to the African tribes I think that effect is temporary. If they remove the rings thier necks return to their natural length.

However, not being an orthopaedic surgeon I wouldn't know if there is any long term ill effects from this custom.

In light of recent events I can think of a few profession where permanent neck stretching should be made law.

Neck stretching with rings is most commonly done by tribes in Thailand. They add to the length of the coil as the child grows so that in later life if removed their necks arrant strong enough to support their heads.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger

laugh.gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You better start to stock up on all your goodies now. 20% after Christmas.

I must find a friend outside the EU to escape the VTA...
devil.gif

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum

The toes don't go all the way to the end, so it can be shaped however you want.

+1. Cf. Clown shoes.

Likewise, your head is not shaped like a top hat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads