• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I don't get it, why buy a €5000 Brioni or Kiton suit when you can go bespoke?

Reaction score
Can anyone explain this to me? Why do some people buy Kiton or Brioni suits when they could have one, maybe two bespoke suits made for the same price at one of the world's best tailors?

Same question for shirts, why would people spend €300 on a Brioni or a Charvet shirt when they can go to Turnbull & Asser or another shirtmaker and have a bespoke shirt made to their specifications?

It just doesn't make sense to me, but perhaps someone can enlighten me? A bespoke suit or shirt will certainly fit better and last longer than any RTW garment.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
because they like the materials, the fit, the cut, the fact that they don't have to wait, they want quality but aren't interested in the bespoke process (and trust me, its a process), etc....

Last edited:
Reaction score
because they like the materials, the fit, the cut, the fact that they don't have to wait, they want quality but aren't interested in the bespoke process (and trust me, its a process), etc....

Most good tailors have hundreds if not thousands of fabrics, buttons and linings available. And if you still can't find something you fancy you could buy a few meters of cloth somewhere else and send it to your tailor! As for the fit a good tailor should be able to offer about any fit you want! Don't like the cut? Try another tailor, many have their very own house style! As for the wait there is an in between option, with MTM, my tailor is able to make MTM suits in under a month.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
congratulations?

some people don't care enough to deal with multiple fittings or even mtm.

people like different things...who cares.

satorstyle

Reaction score
Often for the convenience, or some are more into labels then personalized fit. Often wealthy people rather take a off the rack suit get it tailored and have a suit with decent materials and construction without the drawn out process that can sometimes occur with bespoke.

Reaction score
congratulations?
some people don't care enough to deal with multiple fittings or even mtm.
people like different things...who cares.

My theory was that maybe people don't know that tailors still exist or have preconceptions about tailors only being able to make "old fashioned" or "unfashionable" garments. This just isn't true.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone explain this to me? Why do some people

Chinese?

buy Kiton or Brioni suits when they could have one, maybe two bespoke suits made for the same price at one of the world's best tailors?

Because of the brands along with the cachet and prestige they offer?

Same question for shirts, why would people spend €300 on a Brioni or a Charvet shirt when they can go to Turnbull & Asser or another shirtmaker and have a bespoke shirt made to their specifications?

Same with the suits, they've heard of Brioni, Armani, Zegna, etc. they know they're famous desirable luxury brands. Probably never heard of Turnbull & Asser or other small fry.

Last edited:

Pawz

Reaction score
I like the thrill of the hunt, trying things on, etc.

...And yes, impatience plays a role.

Aside from that, I'm a label monger; I like Armani. I like the sound of it. 'Armani'. I want to wear 'Armani' lol Sounds better to me than 'Made exclusively for Mr. Paws'. Maybe I need a bigger ego?

Finally, considering most persons my age who live in my city consider Aeropostale (cheap hoodies, T's, & jeans) to be a fashion statement, I know I'd be the only one giving a damn where my suit came from, how well it fits, or what it's made of; I get what I like, or just what suits me *pun*

Last edited:

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are some fabrics especially made for Brioni which cannot be found elsewhere. Also, some people prefer the Brioni silhouette which may not come out perfectly when done by a bespoke tailor.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the people I know who buy Brioni at retail prices, they don't care enough to take the time of bespoke, they don't know enough about bespoke, and they don't live in a place where there is good bespoke. Hell, I don't even think they know it exists. Plus, according to one of them, "it fits him perfectly off the rack," which I obviously doubt but I didn't argue with him. Ignorance is bliss.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Could someone who regularly buys both bespoke and 4 digit price tag brands explain what he likes about both options? I think this would be interesting.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some guys like the convenience. Some like the brand cachet. Some like seeing what they're getting. Some want certain cuts and styling.

The trouble with bespoke is that there's more to it than just proper fit. A tailor is craftsman, fitter and stylist. It's hard enough to find a tailor who is good at one, much less all three.

There are a few tailors near me I could use. From what I've seen of their work, they produce full-cut business suits of the most conservative stripe for conservative older businessmen. I'm not inclined to use any of them because I'm not interested in looking like a conservative older businessman.

There's plenty of bad bespoke out there. You see a good bit of it on the forums. Poor fit, dowdy styling, etc. So, from my perspective, it's important to recognize the work of the really great tailors, rather than talking about "bespoke" as though it's all the same path to exquisite style.

Unfortunately, there just aren't that many great tailors left these days.

ultramantaro

Reaction score
I doubt many Chinese know about Brioni or Kiton. Most tend to be nouveau riche and therefore look towards the most aggressively marketed/visible brands.

Chinese?
Because of the brands along with the cachet and prestige they offer?
Same with the suits, they've heard of Brioni, Armani, Zegna, etc. they know they're famous desirable luxury brands. Probably never heard of Turnbull & Asser or other small fry.

Mirador

Reaction score
For many of us we don't have the luxury of this choice, for locational reasons. In Australia I can buy Brioni et al, but I'm just a tad too far from Europe to have bespoke which requires multiple fittings.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads