I don't get it, why buy a €5000 Brioni or Kiton suit when you can go bespoke?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Young Gentleman, Mar 5, 2012.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I dont.

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, but I think the takeaway is that, at its best, it acts as an expression of taste, rather than a substitute for it.

3. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

I hope that you're right.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  4. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am cutting a suit in that cloth tomorrow. Medium to dark grey?

5. ultramantaro

ultramantaro Senior member

I would surmise his archery skills should be second to none. [​IMG]

6. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Add in that branding is powerful, and you have a complete answer. Take two identical suits, on one suit sew a Kiton label and charge $6K, on other suit sew a label nobody ever heard of and charge $4K. If I were a betting man, the Kiton suit gets bought 9 times out of 10. Who would buy the other suit? Probably someone from Styleforum whom would inspect the quality and styling like a Sherlock Holmes, and would rightfully conclude they are the same suits except one has a different brand sewn on.

7. ultramantaro

ultramantaro Senior member

If anyone wants a suit to come out damn near as perfectly fitting as possible, they would go bespoke with a local tailor, period. Or find something RTW that's pretty close, and just alter it. But if I am paying 5K I wouldn't mind the more labor intensive experience of going to the said tailor multiple times to get the darn thing right. It's part of the experience.

TaT and the likes aren't your bespoke local tailors. They take your measurements and ship them to you know where to have it made. It's a fair service but if they are sourcing the fancy fabrics and doing all the work here, people won't be paying 400 to 500 bucks.

8. Pasha

Pasha Well-Known Member

"There are some fabrics especially made for Brioni which cannot be found elsewhere. " Absolutely true. Some Brioni/Kiton and other fabrics made for higher end ready- to- wear brands are unique mill runs, can't find them anywhere else.

9. Elegantly Wasted

Elegantly Wasted Senior member

The answer lies here:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/285821/buyer-beware-and-avoid-ambrosi-napoli

10. mrclam

mrclam Senior member

To get that last 5-10%, yes you must go bespoke or be very fortunate with your build. If you need to have 10+ jackets/suits, going through the learning process with a tailor makes plenty of sense. if someone were to buy 1 or 2 suits that they wanted to look great - off the rack is not necessarily a bad choice.

who is TaT?

11. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Senior member

I think most people on the forum buy brands like Kiton, Brioni and etc when the are marked way down. If you look on buy and sell section of the forum, you will be amazed. On occasion, you will find NWT Brioni and Kiton suits in the 1000-1500 range and lower.

12. atila

atila Senior member

Going in a different direction here, but I always find it a bit funny when I see people (and I see it on SF all the time) with really expensive clothes on but are out of shape - it doesn't matter that their suit cost 2k, they will ALWAYS look sloppy.

Sorry if this describes anyone here and you are offended but it's the truth. Buy yourself a $300 suit and with the $1700 in savings invest in personal training sessions at the gym - $2,000 later I promise you will look better to everyone regardless of how much your suit cost you.

13. GBR

GBR Senior member

There is no rational reason save that they are ignorant of the bespoke process and its innate qualities, prefer labels over substance and cannot be bothered to undertake the extra effort of bespoke. Fools and their money are often parted

14. connor09

connor09 Senior member

Most probably prefer having the brand or label on the suit.

15. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Yes, that one.