• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Don't Get In-N-Out

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Perhaps because I had heard so many wonderful things about In-N-Out, it was bound to disappoint ... and it did. It is definitely fast food and nothing more. I will not visit again.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I loved Blake's Lotaburger as a kid. I like all purveyors of a classic smashed and griddled patty; lettuce, tomatoes, raw onions, and dill chips - Burger King the least, but Sonic and Steak n Shake were good for being $2 burgers down the street from my college apartments, and Blake's was good.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My update on this matter - have had Shake Shack today, I'm gonna say the hierarchy is actually this:

Steak n' Shake > Shake Shack and In n Out (tie or respectively, as In n Out fries suck)

Mustard is the key element for me - I don't understand mayo on burgers, there's already too much fat on a burger by way of the patty, cheese, and possibly bacon - if you sub mayo for mustard then you're in for up to 4 fats and only 2-3 astringents if you get the onions, pickles, and tomato.

Shake Shack is a decent burger but is greasy as ****. I'd eat it in a diner at 3am and it'd be fulfilling if I'd drank a six pack, but I wouldn't want to brown bag it back to the office and have to marinate in it for 6 more hours of a workday, like I saw all the bankers do down at battery park today.

ErnestoG.

Reaction score

as the westcoast version of the way guys from the North East/New England region treat Dunkin Donuts. There's a TON of emotional energy involved.

dunkin is for peasants. its not enjoyable.

ErnestoG.

Reaction score

My update on this matter - have had Shake Shack today, I'm gonna say the hierarchy is actually this:Steak n' Shake > Shake Shack and In n Out (tie or respectively, as In n Out fries suck)Mustard is the key element for me - I don't understand mayo on burgers, there's already too much fat on a burger by way of the patty, cheese, and possibly bacon - if you sub mayo for mustard then you're in for up to 4 fats and only 2-3 astringents if you get the onions, pickles, and tomato. Shake Shack is a decent burger but is greasy as ****. I'd eat it in a diner at 3am and it'd be fulfilling if I'd drank a six pack, but I wouldn't want to brown bag it back to the office and have to marinate in it for 6 more hours of a workday, like I saw all the bankers do down at battery park today.

you really need to eat it at the shoppe. the one near port authority isnt too bad if you go at an off time.

flambard

Reaction score
I went to the In-N-Out in San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf. I had never been there before. I really wanted to try the food and see what it might be like. However I think I went at the wrong time. There were many beastly fat people there. I mean, these poor people and their children (young kids and teenagers) were completely ROUND. They fit the whole fast food victim nightmare profile. T-shirts, shorts, baseball caps, flabby arms and forearms, huge torsos, impending diabetes, heart and knee problems all around. I tried to blend in behind an ordering line. The skinnies were definately outnumbered. I felt so strangely uncomfortable there I convinced myself I had to leave. I am not a hater, I just felt sorry for everyone in there.

Last edited:

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

I went to the In-N-Out in San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf. I had never been there before. I really wanted to try the food and see what it might be like. However I think I went at the wrong time. There were many beastly fat people there. I mean, these poor people and their children (young kids and teenagers) were completely ROUND. They fit the whole fast food victim nightmare profile. T-shirts, shorts, baseball caps, flabby arms and forearms, huge torsos, impending diabetes, heart and knee problems all around. I tried to blend in behind an ordering line. The skinnies were definately outnumbered. I felt so strangely uncomfortable there I convinced myself I had to leave. I am not a hater, I just felt sorry for everyone in there.

What did you expect at one of the most touristy spots in the city?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Had Shake Shack and In n Out within the same week, might've had some other burgs in between but I was on a pretty huge bender for about a month and it was all whiskey, so I don't remember a lot -
281979_10100359430640070_15904009_52171773_8352785_n.jpg

285300_10100358251173730_15904009_52154035_6543787_n.jpg

Best burger - In N Out
Best fries (not best, but 'better') - SS... but if they had all the Animal style **** on the SS fries, that'd probably even be better for most. In N Out fries were cardboard logs.

SS was mad greasy... the patties, the generous cheese, the buns basically grilled in suet, and then a pretty sad floppy piece of a greener lettuce (outer leaves of iceberg?) as opposed to those crispy leaved stacks of lettuce In n Out use that all seem to come from the inner half of the head, two little Roma tomato slices at SS vs two bigger slicer tomatoes at InO, plus raw+grilled onion option at In n Out sealed the deal for me. In n Out makes a cleaner, more sandwich-like burger, whereas Shake Shack makes this greasy burger/bread lump...

tdangio

Reaction score
I had In-N-Out for the first time two weeks ago. Definitely didn't live up to all of the hype. The burger was decent, but not the godsend to rule all fast food burgers that Californians make it out to be. The fries were simply awful. Shake was good, but it's not hard to make a decent shake.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
neither are meant to be a mindblowing experience. just something you crave when you crave a good cheap fast burger, but have higher standards than mcdonalds.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

neither are meant to be a mindblowing experience. just something you crave when you crave a good cheap fast burger, but have higher standards than mcdonalds.

This. I live in CA and probably have In-N-Out maybe once or twice a year...and it's never my suggestion.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The burger was decent, but not the godsend to rule all fast food burgers that Californians make it out to be.
Now, now ... not all Californians think in lock-step. I spent 25 years making California my primary residence ... and I still consider it a part-year residence. But, I have no special love of In-N-Out. If I'm driving long distance and find myself hungry -- about the only time it might be considered an possible option -- it would be among those establishments I classify as a last resort.

just something you crave when you crave a good cheap fast burger
As I noted above, it might be a last resort option, but I can't imagine myselve actually 'craving' such a thing as a 'cheap fast burger.'

Perhaps I'm of sufficient age that the fast burger experience was beyond my 'formative' years. They were a relative novelty when I was young.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads