• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Don't Get In-N-Out

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
But regardless of my love for the double double animal style, In n Out's fries are ******* atrocious.

Yes!!! I don't care if they're fresh cut, they have a horrible consistency, no crunch, and pretty much lack flavor.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
problem with in-n-out fries is they're single-fried. stupid idea. fries need to be double-fried. and theirs are the perfect explanation of why.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Five Guys is the best.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
You are on a road trip, you have been driving for 5 hours, you are tired and hungry, you go to in 'n out. They serve you a delicious ******* burger just as they did the previous 50 times you ate there.

Its clean, it delicious, its quick and they have the hottest chicks of all the fast food joints. I would go animal style on some of them

This.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
problem with in-n-out fries is they're single-fried. stupid idea. fries need to be double-fried. and theirs are the perfect explanation of why.
I know it's weird coming from a french guy, but I often don't like "frites" or those really really crispy fries. I love the pure taste of potato, and what you often get in fast food places (good and bad) or at Bouchon or other type of French bistro places are these well fried things with almost no potato left in the center. It's all about the texture and crust of the outside. I actually quite like those bigger fries or chips one would get by the docks in Dover or in those mom and pop diners where you can really taste the potato inside the fry. I do like big, sort of wet sloppy fries. One of my junk foods. I can't remember having fries like this in the last few years but when I get it I really like it. Definitely not very "haute" of me but it tastes ******* good. I might be in the minority though.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
partly it's california chauvinism. partly it's because it's a pretty good burger at a very good price that seems to be available right where you need it most (ie: at the 99/5 split just south of Bakersfield, where you've been driving for 3 hours already, have 3 more to go and there isn't anything else to eat within 50 miles that doesn't take a search). it's certainly not a great, or even good, burger, but there are times that red and gold arrow beside the highway looks like a signpost to heaven.

This. My first visit to In-N-Out came on the heels of spending 3 days without food...a 12 hour surgery for my wife followed by round the clock supervision. I finally realized I hadn't eaten and a friend drove me down the street. Best meal of my life.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
it's like the step up from mcdonald's, expecting the best burger in the world is where you failed. its just a burger chain, a la Five Guys out here on the east coast. not incredible but not bad either.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone can make a tastier burger but not for less than $5 and still fresh. just add some expensive-ass ingredient and yes, a burger will taste more luxurious: add your ribeye meat, gorgonzola, truffle oil, smoked gouda, sun dried tomato puree or whatever the ****, but it's not under $5 any more. In my opinion, a simple burger has plain ground beef (which just can't taste that superior to any other griddle-fried ground beef) with lettuce, tomato, cheese, onions, and a bun. If I had to describe In n Out's difference, I would guess its because they do so many grilled diced onions all day, this flavor permeates their buns regardless of whether you order grilled onions. Other places grill onions on request but I no one does CHOPPED and GRILLED onions in such volume. You can smell it when you walk in. And it is glorious. and personally, I don't like a giant 1/3 lb burger like Five Guys or Fuddruckers if it is just going to be plain ground beef griddled the **** out until it turns gray and dry. **** that. I prefer the slightly smaller size of In n Out. From what I can tell, Shake Shack takes a hell of a lot of care in their burgers. The lettus, tomatoes and pickles were clearly fresh and cut perfectly. But without the grilled onions thing going on, it tastes like any other burger, albeit fresh.
in-n-out-animal-style.jpg

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i ******* hate truffle oil.

ruzzi

Reaction score
im from australia, tried an in-n-out in sf once...

somedays i sit at my desk back in oz and think fk id kill for an in-n-out burger right now.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LatinStyleLover
Move to a location where they do not have In N Out Burger and it will become more clear why it is so loved. I think you appreciate something more when you can't get it on a regular basis. Now, that will soon change as I move to CA for school! I consider In N Out Burger one of the perks!

To provide a clothes analogy: it is like Lattanzi. You either love Lattanzi or don't get why his shoes cost so much.

You obviously don't get it, which is fine. Give me a double double and fries anytime. If I am really hungry, make it a four by four!

No chicken. No onion rings. Nothing else. Just make a great burger, great fries, shakes and soft drinks and you are good to go.

We've got a place here called "Hudsons." Just burgers, drinks, and pie for dessert. Not even fries! Walk-in only. Cash only. A nice burger, not the "world's greatest," as they claim, but a nice burger.

I still prefer In N Out.

SERIOUSLY? I would think it's Cole Hann, where McD is like, well, not sure what...

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Fat Burger > Five Guys > In-N-Out

IIRC, you can get a fried egg on your burger at Fat Burger which gives it the ultimate win.

Originally Posted by Pilot
I have never been impressed with a hamburger (I've said this before),

try the 21 club's burger.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
IIRC, you can get a fried egg on your burger at Fat Burger which gives it the ultimate win.

try the 21 club's burger.

21 club's burger, don't they still require jacket and tie, you will eat your burger with knife and fork?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads