• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I don't get Corona

iridium7777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thetieguy
I have even heard that Corona puts a small amount of pee into each batch to get the taste.

yes, i'm sure that's true....
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Corona was the quintessential '80s high school beer. Not that I ever broke that law. But I recall people talking about it.

Anyway, I think it's very flavorlessness helped in that regard. It's a very un-beer-like beer, almost a wine cooler, which is why chicks dug it.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
the most similar beer is 'pacifico'. it is made by the same company but is just a hint stronger. 'estrella' is the same beer with a different label.

You're right. Dos Equis is heavier. I'd say Modelo Especial is a similar style but better. Frankly I just don't like the light lager style period so I'm probably not the best person to share my opinion.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Corona was the quintessential '80s high school beer.
Your high school crowd must've had more money than mine.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Your high school crowd must've had more money than mine.

I also recall that people, or at least the girls, thought Corona was the champagne of beers: more money, but worth it to get ... the best!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Does anyone know with certainty the origin of the lemon/lime wedge in the top? I believe it was just to keep the flies out and somehow it carried over for no particular reason.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thetieguy
I don't understand why so many people love Corona. I think it it horrible. I have never tasted pee, but I imagine it tastes like a Corona. I have even heard that Corona puts a small amount of pee into each batch to get the taste. It seems to be the summer drink for every frat guy. It is the worst Mexican beer by far and one of the worst I have ever tasted. Does anyone else agree with me or am I off base here? I do think their ads are somewhat clever.

I love the taste of Corona and Modelo. American beers are too sweet, German beers are too beery and heavy. I have a case of cans in my fridge at home right now.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Does anyone know with certainty the origin of the lemon/lime wedge in the top? I believe it was just to keep the flies out and somehow it carried over for no particular reason.

You're supposed to put the lime wedge in, then invert the bottle to get the taste from the lime wedge. AFAIK, the acid from the lime was supposed to keep the flies away. But it also adds some flavor to an almost flavorless brew, so I almost never drink a Corona without it.

Reaction score
That spurt of beer, like a whale spurting water through the blowhole, when after inverting the bottle, you turn it right side up, and it splashes your eyeglasses: it is like a beer facial!
frown.gif

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire

the origin is that mexicans put lemon on/in everything; beer, meat, sauce, cereal, cheese, everything. we use lemon 10x a day. it tastes good.

aybojs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
the origin is that mexicans put lemon on/in everything; beer, meat, sauce, cereal, cheese, everything. we use lemon 10x a day. it tastes good.

Huh? I can see that with limes, but lemons? I've worked with more than my share of Mexican immigrants (restaurant biz), but have met numerous ones who didn't know what a lemon was before coming to the U.S. and only used the word "limon" to refer to limes.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aybojs
Huh? I can see that with limes, but lemons? I've worked with more than my share of Mexican immigrants (restaurant biz), but have met numerous ones who didn't know what a lemon was before coming to the U.S. and only used the word "limon" to refer to limes.

the thing is that in mexico, we call limes "limones", which actually means "lemon" in english. so my phrasing is off. you're right. we put lime in/on everything, but we call it lemon (limón). i've been calling it lemon in english, but i should change that.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
That spurt of beer, like a whale spurting water through the blowhole, when after inverting the bottle, you turn it right side up, and it splashes your eyeglasses: it is like a beer facial!
frown.gif

It shouldn't spurt if you do it right. You're getting a facial for not knowing how to handle your Corona properly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads