I don't drink

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by M5Racer, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Da Luis Vuitton Don

Da Luis Vuitton Don Senior member

if you're not also drunk it's creepy. and date rape.

yes, sober man taking advantage of drunk girl who cant hold her liqueur....
    The polite thing would be to have a drink or two with the person in question and stop at your limit.if she is an avid drinker then let her continue on!

2. M5Racer

M5Racer Member

[​IMG]

See? That's why all they get are fat chicks. Worst advice ever.

Can I get a serious response or is this thread a lost cause? There has to be someone else out there who doesn't drink by choice.

3. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

I decided to stop drinking alcohol about a year and a half ago. Not because I was an alcoholic, not because my doctor told me to, not for any other reason than I decided to give it a rest to clear out the cobwebs. After a few months I realized I wasn't missing it much and haven't gone back. I still go out to bars and have a great time and I wake up with a clear head the next day. I look healthier and my workouts/soccer/mountain biking are all much improved. In the end, alcohol was taking more from my life than it was giving to it, so I feel better off without it. I don't judge anyone who has a different perspective on that.

I became single back in March, which is great, but this has been a bit of a stumbling point when it comes to dating. I have a date with a girl I've had a crush on for a while tonight, and at the last minute she asked could we have drinks instead of getting dinner as she had a conflict early evening. We don't know each other well, and I'm not sure if I should tell her now or when we meet that I don't drink alcohol. Any thoughts? I'm secure in my decision, but I realize there's sort of a trust/bond that goes with drinking together and some people are thrown when it's not there.

good for you man.

4. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Order a non-alcoholic drink for yourself and an alcoholic one for her. I don't see why this would be an issue with her or anyone else.

5. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

Order a non-alcoholic drink for yourself and an alcoholic one for her. I don't see why this would be an issue with her or anyone else.

+1

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Yeah, I've been beer-free for the past week and it's not killing me. I have a friend who's staunchly anti-alcohol, and I respect him for a number of things (well I wish he'd smile once in a while but I digress). Anyway cheers if it works for you. As for that dating thing, just be up front: Drink if you like, I'm driving.

7. Da Luis Vuitton Don

Da Luis Vuitton Don Senior member

yes OP, do this, and dont forget to insert the ruffee ;D

8. JCHolmes

JCHolmes Member

Everything is OK in moderation.

9. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

why is is all or nothing with you "I don't drink" people. If you're not an alcoholic, then why don't you try drinking occasionally? I don't think having a few drinks once per month (or whatever) is all-of-a-sudden going to make your soccer game shitty again.

Be an adult. The world isn't black-and-white. Exercise judgement.

What he said ^^

10. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

don't make a big deal of it. You're overthinking this. Go meet her for drinks and order a coke or something. If for some reason (which will NEVER happen) she says "you're not having a drink"? Just say "no, I don't really drink" and shrug and move on with the conversation. It's only a big deal if you make it one.

PS - I'm in a similar position to you. I rarely drink and it's never been a problem. Nobody really cares as long as they're having a good time.

11. Nosu3

Nosu3 Senior member

Everything is OK in moderation.

No, this is an urban rumor.

If she's a decent person then she shouldn't have trouble respecting that you want to stay sober for the date or in general.

12. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Simply: Because I don't like it. It's not like I'm forcing myself not to drink or I don't know how to drink in moderation-I did that for years-I just don't really like how it makes me feel, during or after. It's not a question of judgment, it's a question of taste. I'm not trying to convince anyone else to make the same choice, but it works well for me.

You're just not drinking the right stuff.

13. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

don't make a big deal of it. You're overthinking this. Go meet her for drinks and order a coke or something. If for some reason (which will NEVER happen) she says "you're not having a drink"? Just say "no, I don't really drink" and shrug and move on with the conversation. It's only a big deal if you make it one.

PS - I'm in a similar position to you. I rarely drink and it's never been a problem. Nobody really cares as long as they're having a good time.

meh...Just thinking if the tables were turned and my date was not going to drink...that would be a little awkward in the sense that I cut my own intake down and that would take some of the momentum out of the evening.

14. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

tl:dr

just read title and I know you are lame

I lolled hard.

15. ama

ama Senior member

Good to you OP. Many people prefer sobriety. Be up front or just go to a place with food a drinks and dump the alcohol. Say you prefer to drink in privacy and bring it to the bathroom with you and dump the alcohol down the sink.

This is the most hilariously stupid piece of advice I've ever read. [​IMG]