I dislike captoes: sell me on them

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by usctrojans31, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Coburn

Coburn Senior member

I think the seam of the cap toe provides a pivot for the toe of the shoe to bend around. So, a cap toe shoe will accumulate fewer lines or creases in the leather relative to a smooth toe or a whole cut.

2. pkiula

pkiula Senior member

Apologies for misunderstanding your intent. It became clearer over the course of the thread; your original post and the title of this thread didn't seem very clear.

I know just a little about construction, so maybe more educated members can comment more. But from your comment about having small feet and therefore captoes not being ideal for you, well there's no link. Young men in Korea or Japan are among the most stylish in the world, and yet they can rock small-size captoes just fine. It's a simple shoe, but with some nice touches like a well-shaped last, some subtle antiquing, etc, it can be both unique and comfortable.

Which shoes do you wear? Bruno Magli is not really a great shoe in my book, even if they have a "Platinum" or Diamond line.

3. drewseong

drewseong Well-Known Member

4. comrade

comrade Senior member

In addition to captoes, I dislike wholecuts.

5. guayabera

guayabera Member

I... did not expect to see Gian-Carlo Rota name-checked on SF, much less that particular classroom quote. This made my day.

OP: Other people's opinions only matter regarding things you would wear.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013