• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I dislike captoes: sell me on them

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I simply cannot reconcile the adjectives "flashy and vulgar" with any wholecuts I have seen.

+1. I'm not a huge wholecut fan myself, but describing them as "flashy and vulgar" is absurd.

Juan

Reaction score
This is the correct answer. Bigfoots should go cap toes always, lest their feet look hulkish.

there's always a reason why, uh?

tussels could help as well, couldn't they?

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are some interesting responses in here that border on the absurd, and of course, others that have the vitriolic rant of SF group think. Cheers.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are some interesting responses in here that border on the absurd, and of course, others that have the vitriolic rant of SF group think. Cheers.

The original question was pretty absurd to begin with...

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, you're accusing people of "group think" while asking those same people to convince you to like something you don't like. That doesn't make much sense.

...agreed. This is an idiotic thread by an argumentative idiot.

nickrut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To all of you knuckleheads saying this is a dumb thread, you do realize you didn't have to click it and you certainly didn't have to read it nor post in it.

You could make the argument than every single thread on this site is idiotic as they are all representative of people's opinions.

Then again this post was potentially idiotic.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Demonstrating a willingness to change an opinion based on a rational argument is what exactly?

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I don't like plain captoes. I do like adelaides - either semi brogues or austerity brogue adelaides. The U throat just does something for me. I do have a plain captoe balmoral boot, but it's with a suede shaft, so it's not exactly boring. I also have a captoe in black, but it's a quarter brogue or punch cap, so it's not totally plain.

Everyone likes something different. That's why there are so many choices in shoes.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, to move away from the silly comments, I'd like to discuss an actual issue with captoes.

I love the way captoes look. But they don't love me.

The problem I am having is tha captoes don't seem to work with the particular form of my feet. I think this has to do with the combination of size and design norms. I have small feet (6.5UK / 7.5 US), and even the really high quality captoes I have worn (most recently Bruno Magli Platinum) end up with a very short vamp which seems to create a kind of compression zone between the base of the eyelet tab and the toe cap, which in one way or another crushes the top of my feet as I walk, which is really, really painful and does not seem to get better with wear. It might be better with a shorter cap, but I haven't found a shoe that has this and still looks good. I don't have this problem with any other type of shoe, including brogues, which do have a toe cap but one that is more sharply indented on both sides rather than running straight across the foot and is usually less 'stiff'. And no, I haven't tried bespoke makers yet, although I feel that the risk involved in having a shoe made that will still hurt my feet is probably too great in financial terms, although at some point I may give it a go. In the meantime, I don't think I can wear captoes.

I would like to hear from any shoemakers on the forum about this particular issue and whether my intuition about what is going on is correct.

pkiula

Reaction score

IMO, there are quite a few shoe options that coordinate suitably with a conservative outfit. No, loafers or full brogues aren't amoung them, but a punchcap or a punchcap with medallion?

You've got to be kidding if you think a medallion shoe in a job interview is fine. That's just plain ignorant. Your shoes may not get noticed if you wear cap toes. If you wear a medallion, you absolutely will get noticed. Most classic big company interviewers (yours truly being one) know how to look at a person's dressing, it's in the guidelines. If they color within the lines, then it doesn't matter and the substance of the conversation is more important. If the candidate is out of the ordinary -- like a medallion or a heavily brogued shoe -- then it's a red flag.

Some of this depends on your seniority.

The more senior you are in your line of work, the more the freedom you have to 'stand out' and be yourself. As a CEO you could wear a grasshopper green tie with pink socks and people will think you to have a personal sense of style. As a young intern interviewing, not so much.

For younger people, a basic black or very dark brown cap toe is good. The whole point is to NOT make a point with the shoes. If they really really want to show individuality in the feet area, I'd suggest a slightly bright version of socks -- blue with green stripes for example, instead of the usual black or dark blue. But not pink or bright orange.

Net net: a cap toe is a classic business shoe. Don't like it much? Get a pair that drip class in other ways, such as the overall shaping or soles -- like Vass or Carmina or some high end Santonis, or Magnannis for the younger crowd who don't want it to cost an arm and a leg. Medallion or split toes or brogued wingtips etc are good only for more casual (or smart casual) business environments.

pkiula

Reaction score

The problem I am having is tha captoes don't seem to work with the particular form of my feet. I think this has to do with the combination of size and design norms. I have small feet (6.5UK / 7.5 US), and even the really high quality captoes I have worn

Those are small feet. Get a proper shoe like Vass or Santoni, with a more pointed front, but not overly pointy like some lower-end brands. Their sense of proportion will keep you in good stead. I presume you're not 6 foot tall with those small feet, your overall body proportion should be fine, so stop thinking that the shoes should protrude out from under your trousers to a great length. People who see you will see good quality, well shaped shoes in the proportion of the rest of you.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are small feet. Get a proper shoe like Vass or Santoni, with a more pointed front, but not overly pointy like some lower-end brands. Their sense of proportion will keep you in good stead. I presume you're not 6 foot tall with those small feet, your overall body proportion should be fine, so stop thinking that the shoes should protrude out from under your trousers to a great length. People who see you will see good quality, well shaped shoes in the proportion of the rest of you.

I think you missed my point. It wasn't anything to do with the aesthetics of the length of the shoe or how far they protrude from the trousers and I don't where you got that idea from. It was to do with construction and whether my experience of compression in the vamp this was likely to be a general problem with captoes in smaller sizes. I was hoping to hear from someone who actually knew about shoe construction, but this may not be the most appropriate thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads