• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I dislike captoes: sell me on them

kcox68

Reaction score
Captoes are not the only appropriate shoe in a conservative work environment. Far from it.
No, they're not the only appropriate shoe, but they are, as I stated, like part of a uniform for may offices in many cirumstances. I wouldn't walk into an interview or a meeting with the president wearing a brogue or loafers just as I wouldn't wear an odd jacket and chinos. I would put on a newly polished pair of black cap-toes, white shirt and navy or gray suit. There's a time when an individual has to present himself as part of the group; it's both a sign of respect and submission. When those times arise, go with cap-toes.

If you don't agree, I certainly respect your opinion.

gambit50

Reaction score
OP cannot be helped. I would quote GC Rota but that would be pointless.
And while I agree that it is a poor thread, there seems to be something in the SF air today with a number of them being initiated.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, they're not the only appropriate shoe, but they are, as I stated, like part of a uniform for may offices in many cirumstances.  I wouldn't walk into an interview or a meeting with the president wearing a brogue or loafers just as I wouldn't wear an odd jacket and chinos.  I would put on a newly polished pair of black cap-toes, white shirt and navy or gray suit. There's a time when an individual has to present himself as part of the group; it's both a sign of respect and submission.  When those times arise, go with cap-toes. 

If you don't agree, I certainly respect your opinion.

Oh, I agree there are occasions where a very conservative shoe is called for. I just don't think of clothes as a uniform, nor do I think of formality distinctions as rigid and proscriptive. A certain level of formality is called for on occasion, but the overall outfit has to meet the standard, and the shoes are just a part of that. IMO, there are quite a few shoe options that coordinate suitably with a conservative outfit. No, loafers or full brogues aren't amoung them, but a punchcap or a punchcap with medallion? Sure. I have a pair of all black AE Polos that come off as quite formal, and they wind up being my go to shoe for conservative occasions.

Besides, even the President doesn't wear captoes exclusively in formal settings. He seems to favor a split toe.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Your personal style is yours. I don't think that anyone else can talk you into personal taste and preferences. If you don't prefer cap toes as a part of your shoe options you'll get no guff from me!

I like my cap toes.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Captoes killed my father. Therefore I am joining the chorus against giving you reasons to like them.

nickrut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of black captoes that I only wear when I have to. Otherwise, I'm against a plain captoe. Closest brown shoe I have to that is a Double Monk plain captoe. They just seem too regular to me.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then do not buy them they are not compulsory - ignore those who preach otherwise.

Last edited:

Ivar

Reaction score

I have a pair of black captoes that I only wear when I have to.  Otherwise, I'm against a plain captoe.  Closest brown shoe I have to that is a Double Monk plain captoe.  They just seem too regular to me.  

This is a dangerous mindset, son.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Before I commit SF blasphemy and have Spoo, Foo, Vox, Manton, and others, descend onto me in a sea of rage, I want to give you all time to change my mind and sell me on the allure of the cap toe. I find the look obtuse and can't seem to get past it. When it comes to a shoe, I prefer a wholecut to a cap toe, and don't think that I am alone.

Both the Cap Toe...

...and Norwegian Split Toe ...

....have subliminally intoxicating and soothing effects on women and even some men. Few people recognize the fact that both toebox stylings are cleverly fashioned in the shape of the penis head. To wear such stylings is to present your male prowess, virility and man essence to the world. Should you wear either styling, observe the behaviour of the person standing in front of you.
Look for these 2 signs:
1) they suddenly, and for no reason avert their eyes. comb their hair with their fingers, or nervously bite their lower lip.
2) they drop and pick up something from their hand; a pen perhaps, on the floor in front of you.

These behavioiurs can be explained thusly:
1) True, they may be uncomfortable, twitchy or clumsy, but they may also be displaying symptoms of being overwhelmed by the meaty phallic offerings placed before them. Unable to openly disclose such thoughts, they must revert to body language to safely convey to you a sense of acknowledgement.
2) Should an object be dropped and picked up in front of you, it could mean they were distracted, but it could also be a symbolic act of submission; of surrender and a possible invitation for coffee afterwards.

Now, how many pair will you be purchasing today?

Last edited:

nickrut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a dangerous mindset, son.

Thanks Pop. I just struggle to pay $500+ dollars for something that I view as a commodity. Then again, I'm still young...who knows.

Touching Cloth

Reaction score
I'm a captoe enthusiast.

As for your beloved wholecuts, I think they look tremendous in pictures. As pieces of sculpture or design works to appreciate. However, on the human foot, in the field, I find they look a bit silly. The epitome of try-hardism. Flashy and vulgar. Like wearing too much cologne/perfume or--if you're female--makeup.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads