1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I dislike captoes: sell me on them

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by usctrojans31, Mar 7, 2013.

1. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

Before I commit SF blasphemy and have Spoo, Foo, Vox, Manton, and others, descend onto me in a sea of rage, I want to give you all time to change my mind and sell me on the allure of the cap toe. I find the look obtuse and can't seem to get past it. When it comes to a shoe, I prefer a wholecut to a cap toe, and don't think that I am alone.

I have used C&J as an example and the 348 last for both photos, so that we compare apples to apples. To me, the Alex is just a much nicer shoe, with a suit, or with a sweater.

So my challenge to you: sell me on a cap toe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

variety is the spice of life.

3. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

Wholecuts look great when they are brand new and unworn. I find they look increasingly unattractive as they pick up more wear...

There are only a handful of wholecuts that I like, one example being the G&G Hanly (which looks more like an austerity brogue...)

Captoes are versatile and classic.

2 people like this.
  4. MikkelM

MikkelM Active Member

Captoe makes long feet look not so long.

1 person likes this.
  5. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

^^^ this. I like wholecuts but with the absence of any design details to draw the eye, the eye is drawn to the creases, nicks, flaws, etc that the shoe picks up during its lifespan. The cap of the captoe is such a strong design element that it draws the eye and you don't notice the other stuff.

6. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

They serve completely different purposes. The cap-toe is a very conservative, classic business shoe. The wholecut is much less consevative, and arguably has no place in the business world. Now if you happen to be in a very casual business environment, chances are, no one cares if you wear a wholecut to work.

7. Calder

Calder Senior member

I find it hard to believe that there are many workplaces where anyone - other than an SFer - would notice the difference. Certainly in my workplace management wear brown brogues to the office all too often.

That said, I agree with the above points that wholecut shoes look bland. The only plain toe shoes I have in black are monks, which gives a different visual element to itself.

8. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Buy what you like. There isn't a style of shoe that I particularly dislike, but if there were, I wouldn't be looking to be sold on it by those who hold a different aesthetic preference.

I'm not a huge cap toe fan, but it is a safe and conservative choice that will offend no-one. If conformity is your main goal in dressing for business, you could hardly make a better choice.

I like wholecuts very much but don't presently own a pair. The lines have to be REALLY right on such a shoe, else they can kind of look like shapeless blobs.

9. Calder

Calder Senior member

I have a particular dislike for mid-brown closed lace brogues. Why? Pointless, pointless shoes.

10. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

This in bundles. Much like the shape of a breast patch pocket.... It can make or break.

11. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

This is the correct answer. Bigfoots should go cap toes always, lest their feet look hulkish.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  12. kcox68

kcox68 Senior member

The only way to sell you on a shoe you don't like is if you have a need for that shoe. If you work in a professional environment then the cap-toe is de rigeuer. If not, then you probably shouldn't wear them. Think of it like part of a uniform. If you don't wear the full thing, people will notice.

13. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

if you don't like them, don't buy them.

there is no need to conform if they are not necessary for your environment.

I generally hate wholecuts and PTBs, with the exception of black tie (for wholecuts)

14. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Captoes are not the only appropriate shoe in a conservative work environment. Far from it.

15. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Why would we want to make you like something you don't? Don't like 'em, don't wear 'em. :)

1 person likes this.
  16. kcox68

kcox68 Senior member

No, they're not the only appropriate shoe, but they are, as I stated, like part of a uniform for may offices in many cirumstances. I wouldn't walk into an interview or a meeting with the president wearing a brogue or loafers just as I wouldn't wear an odd jacket and chinos. I would put on a newly polished pair of black cap-toes, white shirt and navy or gray suit. There's a time when an individual has to present himself as part of the group; it's both a sign of respect and submission. When those times arise, go with cap-toes.

If you don't agree, I certainly respect your opinion.

17. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

I'm not interested in selling you on anything. If you don't like them, then you don't like them. Move on. #stupidthread

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
    2 people like this.
  18. gambit50

gambit50 Senior member

OP cannot be helped. I would quote GC Rota but that would be pointless.
    And while I agree that it is a poor thread, there seems to be something in the SF air today with a number of them being initiated.

19. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Oh, I agree there are occasions where a very conservative shoe is called for. I just don't think of clothes as a uniform, nor do I think of formality distinctions as rigid and proscriptive. A certain level of formality is called for on occasion, but the overall outfit has to meet the standard, and the shoes are just a part of that. IMO, there are quite a few shoe options that coordinate suitably with a conservative outfit. No, loafers or full brogues aren't amoung them, but a punchcap or a punchcap with medallion? Sure. I have a pair of all black AE Polos that come off as quite formal, and they wind up being my go to shoe for conservative occasions.

Besides, even the President doesn't wear captoes exclusively in formal settings. He seems to favor a split toe.

20. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

Your personal style is yours. I don't think that anyone else can talk you into personal taste and preferences. If you don't prefer cap toes as a part of your shoe options you'll get no guff from me!

I like my cap toes.
    [​IMG]