1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I discovered a new outfit...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Eric, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Eric

Eric Senior member

I love finding new outfits from stuff I already own. Â I've had this shirt for a while and have had the tie for quite a while, but I never thought to introduce them to one another. Â I was struck by lightning the other day and this is what happened: [​IMG] Probably alittle colorful for some of you guys taste, but this is my style. Â I'm gonna add a camel colored linen blazer, jeans, and some cardovan slip ons. I'm gonna sport it this friday to my friends B-Day party, I'll post pics of the complete outfit later on. Â Eric

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

well, eric, it won't be hard to find you in the dark in that combo. good for you, if you can pull it off.

3. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ow. My eyes.

Suggestion: Solid tie. You will still be "colorful", believe me, but less riotous.

4. joseanes

joseanes Senior member

I do not think I would be able to pull it off. I would also use a solid color tie.
    But then again... if you feel comfortable on them... Be happy and enjoy. It is the holiday seasson anyway... people are happier.

5. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

I am sorry to hear that you were struck by lightning. A good eye doctor should be able to fix you right up though. [​IMG]

6. Eric

Eric Senior member

Yeah, I thought you guys would get a kick outta this. [​IMG] But like I said this is my style, I'm pretty couture sometimes, and it matches my personality, so it works out. People compliment the crazy outfits, which is fine, but many many more quietly hate on me amoungst themselves but I don't let that bother me. I just gotta be me. [​IMG] Keep the comments coming, I'm having fun with this. Eric

7. chocoball

chocoball Senior member

Match that with a pair of too-short Mr Bean pants, and a pair of Ronald McDonald big red lace-ups, and you'll be able to find work at the Comedy Club.. [​IMG]

8. alaaro

alaaro Senior member

I think if you have a good contrast, then stripes on stripes works. I have a very thin striped (vertical) dress shirt (dark, light purple stripes), and I will wear it with a tie with fat stripes, of a similar color. The contrast works well, imo.

9. arvi

arvi Senior member

with some lights & tinsel around you you'll be perfect for Xmas party after b-day party..or with some candles on you could standin for birthday cake [​IMG]

10. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

Stripes on the tie look too close to the shirts. They create this confussing look. I would wear the shirt with a tie with block pattern (one of those Duchamp tie will do..).

11. Eric

Eric Senior member

If your refering to the red behind the knot of the tie, I concur. I am thinking of pinning the fabric at the top together, though I'm not sure how that will affect the vertical lines.

Eric

12. truthhurts

truthhurts Senior member

13. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I for one think it looks great. They go well together very well, and I imagine that the camel jacket will have just enough neutralization so it's not too loud.

14. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Senior member

I dig it. What sort of shirt is that?

15. MCA

MCA Well-Known Member

Without any intentions to criticize Eric... I actually think the look works for him and I don't have anything against loud stripes... Doesn't this stripe shirt qualify as part of the "american jackass" look that many on this forum have disdained?

16. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I like it. Very Vivienne Westwood from a few seasons ago (matching shirt and tie). Would pair it with a darker jacket though, to focus the attention. The lighter, camel colored jacket won't cut it in this respect.

Definitely *not* the American Jackass look. Much too daring for that. The whole American Jackass look is that it is boring, boring, boring...

17. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

And dont forget to add these pants from Polo. [​IMG] JJF

18. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I think it's alright. I agree with LA Guy that it might look better with a darker jacket, esp. if it's a nighttime thing. It flirts with Am Jackass, though, so don't stand too close to anyone wearing a black leather blazer and duckbilled shoes.

On the matching:
    I wore a navy on pink prince of wales check shirt paired with a primarily blue striped tie, with a khaki cotton casual sportcoat and close, but not matching, poplin pants last year. Also very bright. This was for a daytime graduation party, and I got a lot of compliments, but looking at pictures I was, without question, trying too hard. A dark jacket, IMHO, would make it look a little more effortless.

19. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

What are you talking about? Those are fantastic; the old people in Boca seem to think they are the shiznit. Jon.

20. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

I agree on both counts. A plain jacket is a great idea. Similarly, a plain sweater would tone down the look as well.