1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I critiqued my boss's clothing yesterday, and still have a job

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Closer, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Closer

Closer Senior member

that was, by far, the best post in this thread. well done.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I pull no punches.

A guy asked me at a recent directors and heads meeting how many pairs of eyeglass frames I had in front of everyone. Without hesitation I said 7. He replied to the group 'he matches them with his outfits, you see'. I replied to the room 'you know, in private almost every one of you solicits me for clothing advice, most of you take it, does anyone here want to deny that?'.

Crickets.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  3. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

:crackup:

4. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

That is boss.

5. lostron

lostron Senior member

lets all try and not get too excited about this remarkable day

6. Patek

Patek Senior member

Ah yes, I know this feeling: Jokes in public and then pulled aside to ask about full canvas jackets or where to find good shoes.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sounds awfully lonely. Maybe if you had a Mercedes you could fill up that home? :confused:

So he doesn't have a favorite cuisine?

8. OinkBoink

OinkBoink Senior member

Is a three bedroom house a symbol of wealth nowadays? This economy is worse than I thought.

9. Viral

Viral Senior member

Actually, the irony is that your OP came across as you having the confidence to criticize your boss and his clothes - only to realize how insecure you really are.

Were you picked on during your childhood years? I sense a lot of pent-up anger and resentment.

As mentioned, a Mercedes would do wonders for you =)

10. Closer

Closer Senior member

I am not insecure. Patrick Booth was treating me like I am some toy for him to play with, on the Internet, for his amusement. I had no interest in insulting him. I actually ignored him for a long time, hoping he would go away.

FWIW I do not like Mercedes and I live way below my means.

11. Closer

Closer Senior member

Ah Mr Oinkboink again. Did you ever locate those 200.00 suits?

I actually just downsized my car collection. Last year I bought a 2011 BMW 135, and a 2011 Porsche Cayman. The Cayman was a stick and I will not be able to drive it for months becuase of an ankle injury. I sold it. So no I don't think a BMW 1 135 is a sign of wealth. I did however pay cash for both of those cars. I actually really like the 135 FWIW.

I also do not think a 3 bedroom house is a sign of wealth either. I am single though. How many bedrooms do you really think I need? The average home in my neigborhood is over 2 million dollars BTW.

Anyway, I do not want to work forever, so I only spennd about half of my net income. I really am just trying to concentrate on saving cash. I would like to buy some realestate as investments before the market comes back.

1 person likes this.
  12. Samovar McGee

Samovar McGee Senior member

The true measure of wealth is the distance between your kitchen and bathroom. I've seen miserable squats with chamber pots two levels below ground, and million dollar cul-de-sac specials with ice maker urinals.

13. Patek

Patek Senior member

This truely is the sadest post in the history of SF.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  14. Samovar McGee

Samovar McGee Senior member

I used to spend a quarter of my income. The rest I dumped into apartments in Shanghai. I thought I was being smart until the building my units were in tipped over. Now I'm just buying up Florida swampland; it's safer.

15. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

OP if you really want to wow the guy, buy him the book for xmas instead of a bottle of wine or maybe both

16. OinkBoink

OinkBoink Senior member

Quote:
    That's nothing. I'm married.

17. patrickBOOTH

My dad bought my mom with cash.

18. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Senior member

I'm baffled by this thread.

OP, here's the thing... Your title and first post implied that in the confines of a business relationship, you could give your boss sartorial advice, and it was implied that the rest of the forum might do the same without the fear of reprisal.

I don't think there was any irony, sarcasm or jokes in this. Perfectly fine post. In fact, I took it as a counter to that ridiculous Investment Banking dressing thread where someone said that juniors couldn't wear cufflinks. (GMAFB)

And yet, a few posts later, you say:

I think that's a key bit you left out of your first post. If he's your friend and you pull no punches, of course it's OK to give him sartorial advice. Not sure what the point of the OP is in retrospect, as others pointed out...

But then, the bombshell!

You write what I would consider to be in the pantheon of SF douchey posts....

What's going on here?

19. OinkBoink

OinkBoink Senior member

I wish my wife and family were a capitalized asset in that way. Unfortunately, the arrangement is more like an operating lease whose monthly payment is indexed to my income.

20. patrickBOOTH

At least it doesn't increase your debt/income ratio. You can always break the lease free and downsize. ;) :laugh:

1 person likes this.