• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I can't wear printed ties!

juniper

Reaction score
We had a thread a while ago entitled something like "I can't wear white shirts any more!". I have a similar issue. I can't wear printed ties.

Woven ties seem just to be so much nicer. I find printed ties lifeless. I seem to associate them with cheapness, though I don't know why. I don't particularly favour a big knot either, so it's not that. Two questions arise:

1. Is it just me?

2. Can you show me something that would change my mind?

I'm referring to business ties, I should say, rather than country ties.

To tack on a seperate issue: Is there anyone here who feels novelty cufflinks (taps, golf-balls etc.) are just as bad as novelty ties? Is that just me as well?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saying "i can't wear printed ties" is like saying "i can't wear cotton shirts." They can be done well or badly, just like anything else.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is not just you, although I wouldn't frame my opprobium so absolutely. Still, most of my neckwear is woven, and I purchased only one printed tie in the past year.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some of the Hermes prints are classic. I believe my favorite is the one with octopus.

Kasper

Reaction score
In a business setting I don't feel that most print ties are conservative enough.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kasper
In a business setting I don't feel that most print ties are conservative enough.
I wear almost exclusively prints.

Kasper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I wear almost exclusively prints.

I would be interested in seeing them as know you are on the conservative side in your dress.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A print tie with a nice sports jacket is a great combo.

The majority of my ties are woven, but I like to wear prints every once in a while.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I prefer prints in the spring/summer.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
im more into buying ties just for the heck of it. I dont wear a tie to work and I dont wear it to social functions like church, family or friends.

I only wear one occasionally to a wedding, interview, etc.

But I find myself buying ties every once in a while,
whenever there is a good deal on a nice tie, and it is a design i like.

and because of that, most of the ties i like to collect are WOVEN.

printed ties like you mention do not come across in my mind as delicate, handmade. even though that can be far from truth.

the texture, sheen, and look of a very good quality woven is so beautiful,
i collect ties just because they are pretty,

like you would with a bouquet of flowers.

nioh

Reaction score
You are definitely not alone. Most print ties lack depth and texture, which is why I prefer to use woven ones.

mayday

Reaction score
I hear you. I only ever wore woven ties, but over the last 12 months, 80% of my tie purchases have been printed ties.

Now, some printed ties can seem pretty light and flimsy. My printed ties are usually 50oz Drake's ties. (If you're in NYC, check out Bergdorff Goodman. I get my Drake's ties from Segun Adelaja in London). I find that the 50oz foulards tie a substantial knot, and Drake's have some nice prints.

I also have a couple of printed Kiton ties. Again, in NYC, Bergdorff Goodman and Peter Elliot (http://www.yellowpages.com/sp/morein...peter%20elliot) stock printed Kiton ties. The Kitons are conservative stripes.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few older ties that are printed, but have not purchased one in years. I find myself as interested in texture now as colour, and the woven ties offer more options here in my experience.

As for novelty links, I only wear them if they are gifts from somebody I care about.
inlove.gif

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love woven figures in ties, but the dusky shades of a silk madder tie are inimitable.

Prints in wool are nice as well.

alflauren

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kasper

At least in my experience, the Hermes print tie is part of the investment banker's standard uniform.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads