• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I can't wear plain white shirts anymore

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few nice ones but every time I reach for one in the closet, it seems there is always a better option like pale blue, pink, even cream, or often white with a pattern in another color. Except for quasi-black tie evening events like weddings, I just can't bring myself to wear plain white shirts anymore. Too boring, too stark a contrast... They make me think of black suits.
devil.gif
Who wears plain white shirts?

gj555

Reaction score
Same here. I now only own 2 white shirts and one is textured with microsquares and the other with herringbone. I wear a suit 4 days a week and a dress shirt and coat on Fridays and the white shirts only get worn a couple times a month.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10-p23.jpg

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have been coming back to them as of late.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I assume that was a post in support of EL72 not wearing white shirts?

. . .

Anyway, I'm in the same boat. I much prefer stripes and checks. I have two, will probably get another soon, but they don't call to me in the morning.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
White shirts offer a rare quality : They match everything and are a blank canvas you can play with.....
The same rule do not fully applies to a pale blue ,cream or black shirt....
We can find very good tailored slim-fit white shirts in shops like Thomas Pink ,Gian-Franco Ferre or Frey for example...
If you have a tan or have a darker complexion ,white shirts are not as bland as you can imagine...
White shirts are versatile and classy but do not have automatically the killer punch,the edge that others colours can offer...
I always remember leaving the office , taking off my tie and feeling quite at ease with my white shirt at the terrace of a cafe sipping coffee or later on in a club...It is where the white shirt is interesting...Avery good all-rounder....
The only important thing ...A white shirt must be tailored ,to avoid the post-graduate look ...

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only wear white for interviews and formal.

Light Blue is the workhorse, and much better for my complexion.
And stripes patterns etc.

I think I'll write a book recommending this.
wink.gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's interesting: For many years I wore nothing with coat and tie except for plain white shirts on the theory they were the universal mixer, the blank canvas, etc. Now I, too, seldom wear them. They just seem boring as hell and not nearly as becoming as colored or patterned shirts.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my white shirts. Wide Spread, Keaton Spread, w/ Black Buttons, w/ special details, w/ french cuffs, w/ flowback cuffs. Yummy.
smile.gif

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
I rarely wear a white shirt but whenever I do, I receive many compliments. FWIW, I am dark complected.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just speaking of solids, it seems that light blues and light pinks are my workhorse shirts. I wear white about as rarely as the creams.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White and light blue shirts are staples for me. I find light pink difficult to match in terms of neckties.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads