• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I can't sleep at all...

KBW

Reaction score
haven't slept at all for 3 days and when I lay down I'm tired but I can stay in bed for 3 or 4 hours and I just won't fall asleep. I have no stress whatsoever as I just got the internship I wanted, my gf moved back in town from school, and my sister finally moved out of my house. I'm anti-sleeping pills because I don't want the dependency that comes with them. I've tried everything, ********** and then going to bed doesn't work, working out doesn't work (I actually think that is what is keeping me up as I just started back lifting last week), reading doesn't work, studying for the LSAT just makes me wired somehow. My gf thinks that I just don't want to sleep with her but I can't sleep by myself when she goes to work either. Anyone know of any easy ways to go to sleep. I did a yahoo search but most of it seemed like crap or else the site would come up as an ad for a sleeping pill. I'm actually not very tired but I know it will hit me soon (it is 4:13 here and I have class at 9:45 and have to research some stuff at the courthouse for the office directly afterwards).

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
turkey sandwiches?

Back lifting has kept me awake before, it sucked BIG TIME. There was an odd soreness in my back I could not locate, thus couldn't massage/stretch out

KBW

Reaction score
A turkey sandwich puts you to sleep? Eating wakes me up usually

B1FF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
A turkey sandwich puts you to sleep? Eating wakes me up usually

Turkey contains some tryptophan, and is said to cause sleepiness. (It is unlikely it actually contains any more of it than beef, chicken, tuna, or whatever.)

X-It

Reaction score
- Lavender

The gentle aroma of the English lavender flower has been for a long time used as a remedy for a good night's rest. It has been proved that it extends the time of sleeps and the quality of your sleep reinforces. Seemingly works lavender improves for women then men, because women react differently to fragrances. The advantage of lavender is that it works rather rapidly. One drop or 6 tries once add oil of lavender to your bath. Or a couple drops on a handkerchief and put it under your pillow.

I hope it will help you to have a good rest.

KBW

Reaction score
thanks for the thoughts but I'm just going to go get some breakfast and get ready for class/work and try to sleep tonight

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
try a mild tranquilizer...i was prescribed this orange pill with a long name i can't remember about 2.5 months ago for stress/anxiety and now i think im hooked...im not takin them recreationally, just one before bed to get me relaxed but i feel like i cant sleep without em.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i don't think alcohol is good for sleep...drinking until you pass out is one thing (not one i'd recommend), but i find that most nights i go drinking i end up having trouble sleeping that night, and when i do fall asleep i find myself awake in a few short hours unrested yet unable to sleep for the rest of the day.

KBW

Reaction score
Yeah alcohol is supposedly no good. My gf doesn't know how I'm still awake but I'm not even tired. It'll probably hit me right when I start to get some work done later.

livelyzombie

Reaction score
I use to have terrible insomnia, but I've gotten mostly over it in part thanks to melatonin; melatonin is a naturally occurring hormone and not a drug, so you don't have to worry about addiction or dependency - it'll make you drowsy, and if you have all the lights off and without many disturbances, it should put you to sleep.

Not that because it's practically a dietary supplement and not a prescription strength sleeping pill, it's not quite as potent. I have no problem staying wide awake after taking some, so keep in mind that it'll help you feel drowsy but it won't put you to sleep (but like I said, drowsy, so don't drive a car or anything).

And alcohol is a terrible idea - it'll keep you up all night. Hope I was helpful!

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bananas can help.
I often have this problem, so I take some benadryl, that will knock your ass out.

James Gatz

Reaction score
+1 for both melatonin and lavender.

I'm anti-sleeping pill as well, but melatonin doesn't seem to have any kind of the dependency issues associated with sleeping pills. I can take one every night for a week and sleep through the night, then not take them at all for a month and still fall asleep and stay that way all night naturally with no problem whatsoever.

As for lavender, I don't know if it's purely psychological or if it actually has some kind of genuine physiological effect, but it definitely helps me relax at night, and thus fall asleep. Essential oil on the pillow, lavender tea, whatever.

Catnip tea also seems to help, though my gf looks at me like I'm crazy when she sees me drink it, and my cat goes nuts trying to tip the cup over.

Also, I'm assuming that you're adhering to all the common sleep advice: no caffeine, don't work out too late, not taking hot showers before bed, make sure you're in a dark, quiet room, etc.

KBW

Reaction score
I'll check out melatonin...thanks

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I've had bouts of insomnia for about 8 years now, meaning that between 3 to 5 times a month I will go for several days without sleeping at all and will frequently only sleep for a few hours a night when able to sleep at all. Melatonin does nothing for me so I am going to a sleep clinic now. It is also bullshit.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Three easy steps.

1. Access www.irs.gov
2. Search for Publication 17
3. Start reading.

If you get all the way through it without nodding off, please send me a summary.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads