• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I can't do this anymore

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
...rather then just gloating about how much I missed my family and how miserable I was...

Please tell me English is not your native tongue.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I been away from my family for about a year.

They must be counting the days til your return
ffffuuuu.gif

dl

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Please tell me English is not your native tongue.

What does grammar have to do with Linguistics?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dl20
They must be counting the days til your return
ffffuuuu.gif
dl

They can't understand why I left them, so yeah.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brad said he missed his family and your response was to call him "souless" and "lazy"

Thats why everyones ganging up on you.

dl

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I totally know what you're saying. I've told you I've passed up some major jobs because they involved travel and it's why I'm doing what I'm doing where I'm at. Hell, I grumble on here for having to be away from home for a conference!

There is a whole lot to be said for sticking it out one year. It's very reasonable to tell a perspective employer you tried it for one year and decided not to relocate the family. They will respect that you stuck it out a year.

When do you hit the one year mark?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brad said he missed his family and your response was to call him "souless" and "lazy"

Thats why everyones ganging up on you.

dl

That was a little harsh. I am sorry for that.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brad, that's a really crappy situation. hang in there.

Can wife/children move to be with you?

Are you (wife and you) both tied down to jobs at respective locations?

How about video-conferencing that kind of stuff. Not as good as meeting real life but at least you can see them.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
I would have guessed that they had left you.
I bet you would guess a lot of errors, but yes my attitude is sometimes really bad as I showed earlier in this thread. Bradford, once again I am sorry for being that inconsiderate when it comes to the subject of you, and you're family.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get where you are coming from. 2 months after I got married I was summoned to Lancaster PA to do a 15 mo internship for my doctorate. I spent 8 yrs in grad school so I pretty much had to go. Sucks living in the sticks though, alone, in my studio, surrounded by rednecks.

4mo and counting.

dl

Isn't that more of a Amish country with horses and buggies and stuff? Rednecks?

Monaco

Reaction score
I know many people who work away from their families. Sometimes if you must have your job and cannot be with your family, you have to make it work. After work on Friday, you fly home, then go back when the weekend is over. I know people who do this weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, even twice a year from other countries. I know it is hard but you just have to adapt somehow.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's clear that your family means more to you than your job. In fact, I think that's quite a natural set of priorities.

Why don't you start looking for a job back in Phoenix? Once something is secured, it may be time to give your notice.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I bet you would guess a lot of errors, but yes my attitude is sometimes really bad as I showed earlier in this thread.
That is a very good guess. Sorry, I was typing up my contribution to the pile-on at the same time you were apologizing for coming off as a little callous or inconsiderate. I went back and deleted. I am also always impressed when someone on this forum apologizes for their behavior without using the old 'too much to drink' excuse. And for Bradford, I really hope everything gets resolved. I grew up with a father who was routinely on business for several months a year and it was really hard on me when I was a kid and heartbreaking for him. On the bright side, it did not effect my relationship with him what-so-ever. I'll often meet up with him when he is traveling and, as we live in the same city, I see my parents a couple times a week and we are very close.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads