• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I cannot control my eating of junk food

Tamara

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a working executive, working long hours and addicted to fast food, usually eating while I'm in the office. I seem to eat whether I'm hungry or not and have got to a stage where I am unable to control my eating habit. Unfortunately, my weight is increasing and I'm being forced to buy clothes a size larger than normal. I can devote a little time to exercise, but is there a recommended safe way to lose weight? I've heard of all these diets, such as Atkins, that don't sound very healthy at all.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
A lawyer friend told me about a guy he knew, a very driven lawyer who hardly ever left his office. For meals, he'd send his assistant to get him stuff mostly from MacDonalds. After some time of this lifestyle, he began to feel sickly and was diagnosed with scurvy. It was the only case the doctor had ever seen.

Modern lifestyle choices have health consequences.

Make a conscious effort to substitute better quality foods for what you're eating now in order to wean yourself from junk food. Combine this with exercise and concentrate on starting a virtuous cycle of more healthy living. They say it takes three months to develop new lifestyle habits. Small investment of time relative to your entire life, which is ultimately what's at stake.

mafoofan Jr.

Reaction score
I also recommend having more sex. That got me skinny.

jessis

Reaction score
No excuses really - need to exercise more. Make time...

magnus_h

Reaction score
Cue post helpfully offering a link to some weight loss site in 3..2..1..

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't be so quick to throw out the A-word. Our culture likes to make people feel good about themselves and is quick to characterize everything as an addiction when not everything is. That really enables the behavior with the subtle message of 'oh, it's not your fault.'

Step 1, Eat Less. Begin tapering down a little.
Step 2, eat healthier food -- bring some fruit or rice cakes to work.
Step 3, drink more water, especially if you're feeling the urge to eat crap.
Step 4, feel better about yourself and repeat all of the above.

~ H

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Yes, you can.

lynchpatrickj

Reaction score
You probably find yourself craving salt?? That's how I get. Just start cutting down on that and getting food from healthier places. You'll get over it.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Reminds me of my father. He was a top financial executive who spent 3-4 years eating McDonalds after he took over a corporate job that had one across the street. He was always too busy to have a proper lunch break and would just have someone run across the street and grab him a Bigmac meal and eat it at his desk... He passed away out of no where at 59 from heart disease
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Pablin

Reaction score
Hi,
I fully understand your problem - its quite common that people working long hours in offices pick up habits like eating junk food and set aside no time to exercise. Junk food is a serious health risk. My advice would be the following:
"¢\tStop eating junk food, or at least cut it down to eating junk food a maximum of once per week.
"¢\tStart some simple, low key exercise such as walking
Use a great product I have tried that actually burns body fat. Highly scientific and armed with worldwide patents it should have a noticeable impact in a short period of time. More details here given below in my signature:

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is something I struggle with. I love the occasional cookie, Wendy's cheeseburger, etc. Unfortunately, there are days when occasional gets blown out of proportion and I pig out.
frown.gif
It all boils down to self-control. You can't keep saying, "OK, just this once," because that simply reinforces the habit. You need to break it. Also, try to be active whenever you can. On days where the weather is bad and/or I can't make it to the gym, I'll do 100 jumping jacks, some stretches, run up and down stairs, etc. It helps. Good luck.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
This is something I struggle with. I love the occasional cookie, Wendy's cheeseburger, etc. Unfortunately, there are days when occasional gets blown out of proportion and I pig out.
frown.gif

It all boils down to self-control. You can't keep saying, "OK, just this once," because that simply reinforces the habit. You need to break it.

Also, try to be active whenever you can. On days where the weather is bad and/or I can't make it to the gym, I'll do 100 jumping jacks, some stretches, run up and down stairs, etc. It helps.

Good luck.

This is good advice. It sounds as if the original poster has an 'addictive' or 'excessive' personality. Turn that to the task of losing weight and eating better. That is to say, make something out eliminating ALL junk food and exercising more. Get some weights for your office if need be; just little ones are all you need. Weight training is a good way to lose weight and to burn energy, whether you put on muscle mass or not. It is often overlooked by many.

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, is it really that bad? Due to a conveniently located burger king, I have a whopper (no fries) without cheese and without mayo/sauce like 2-3 times a week, usually with a diet coke. I am gonna die?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads