• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I can haz photo help?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was out shooting some pictures last night and noticed how grainy/noisy some of them came out, posted one below for example-
grainy.jpg

Can anyone tell me why it appears so grainy? I tried lowering the F-stop and it seemed to do a little bit but is there another way of eliminating this?

Thanks
JB

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Can't really offer any help, but I think I like this particular picture better as a kind of hazy/slightly blurry view than I would with a regular kind of view.

Meursault

Reaction score
Lower the ISO/ASA setting. Use ISO 400 or, better, 200. Increase the shutter time to compensate for the reduced brightness lowering the ISO setting will cause.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here were the settings I had when I took the shot-

Shutter- 1.3
Aperture- F.56
ISO- 1600

Thanks for the pointer Meursault! I tried using ISO 200 later on and here's what I came out with, it seems a bit less grainy-
6.jpg

JB

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Higher the ISO = higher the grain. At night, with my digital, I shoot with a tripod at ISO80.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huntsman, that makes sense. My Nikon D50 only goes to ISO200, what kind of camera are you using?

JB

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Huntsman, that makes sense. My Nikon D50 only goes to ISO200, what kind of camera are you using?

JB

Are you sure it only goes down to 200? That seems a bit high for a DSLR. Here's a shot I took on my z1000 portable. Shutter at 4.0, F 2.8, ISO 50. It was pretty dark already so I really had to slow things down to capture any sort of light.
j2048x153600099nw5.jpg

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It may go lower but the manual only shows it as being able to go to 200. I have also never used the Long Exposure Noise Reduction which I have turned on and will try out.

JB

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JB

A very, very old Olympus E10.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DPReview confirms that D50 only goes down to ISO200. I would recommend a tripod and longer exposure for night scenery shots. Long exposure will also let you play around with some light effects.

migo

Reaction score
it's definitely your ISO. You should take it off Auto (or at least, and I'm fairly certain you can do this, make it so that the auto only ranges from ISO 200-400). I rarely ever shoot above my pentax's lowest 200. JB, do you shoot manual?

Reaction score
Here were the settings I had when I took the shot-

Shutter- 1.3
Aperture- F.56
ISO- 1600

Thanks for the pointer Meursault! I tried using ISO 200 later on and here's what I came out with, it seems a bit less grainy-
6.jpg

JB

iso1600 looks pretty bad across the board.

Generally, you're safe till iso400. Beyond that, noise starts to get pronounced.

ISO 200 is the lowest you can get on the Sony 6mp ccd-based SLRs.

My Pentax K100D (and the *ist DL before that) went only to 200, but it was flawlessly clean 200. I imagine the d50 is much the same. Too bad nikon glass is ****
tongue.gif

Reaction score
btw, as long as the noise is not obnoxious and rainbow-colored, it's not too objectionable. I always liked grainy film shots

migo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 65535
iso1600 looks pretty bad across the board.

Generally, you're safe till iso400. Beyond that, noise starts to get pronounced.

ISO 200 is the lowest you can get on the Sony 6mp ccd-based SLRs.

My Pentax K100D (and the *ist DL before that) went only to 200, but it was flawlessly clean 200. I imagine the d50 is much the same. Too bad nikon glass is ****
tongue.gif

yeaaaa K100D!!!

Noise Ninja is a program a lot of photographers use to reduce noise:

http://www.picturecode.com/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads