• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I can get 50 - 65% off anything sold at Ralph Lauren - anything worth while? PurpleL?

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never really purchased anything from purple/black label... how are these suits/sport coats/ etc?

is everything realyl preppy?

anyone ever try their made to measure programs?

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot
That depends. What traits do you consider desirable?

good fit, good construction, nice fabrics (nothing overly soft), strong collar on dress shirts, you know I like the cut of TF suits.

heavyd

Reaction score
if you can get that discount off the current sale prices i would buy all the EG shoes and several PL suits and a camel hair overcoat and several pl cashmere sweaters and PL dress shirts... frankly i would spend $10,000 if i could get half off the current sale prices (i.e. half off half off)... but i don't have a problem i can stop any time...

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was walking by the Chicago Mansion at the start of the season and they had some really nice flannel 3 piece RLPL suits in their front window.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A Purple Label suit is a really nice suit.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
Never really purchased anything from purple/black label... how are these suits/sport coats/ etc?

is everything realyl preppy?

anyone ever try their made to measure programs?

RLPL is very nice indeed. Usually some lush materials, generally extremely well-made and a fun but generally tasteful aesthetic. Not to say there aren't some more "eccentric" items in every Purple Label collection, because there certainly are, but even those are usually done with an eye to ironic pastiche rather than just bizarre. I like it a LOT.

Black Label is a sleeker, much more cosmopolitan look. Younger & decidedly more serious, in some ways.

They're pretty different collections in lots of subtle ways so you won't necessarily find yourself with lots of each in your wardrobe. I find I personally gravitate far more to Purple than Black. Partly because it fits me better, but much more because its aesthetic and general "temperament" is far more in keeping with my own. While there are plenty of very serious and very conservative items in RLPL, there's also an undercurrent of whimsy running through the collection that isn't there with Black Label. It comes down to what you like, at the end of the day.

I don't use their MTM programs, sorry.

bjm

Reaction score
I gravitate to the RLPL as it has a very English look and cut which appeals to me. The RLBL seems more hipster with a narrower cut, more Milan/New York if you will than London.

The RLPL appeals to my inner Lord of the Manor self. Now I am neither a Lord or will ever have a Manor but dammit I can wear the clothes well!
cheers.gif
fing02[1].gif

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I really the first to point out that the OP is a scumbag for not sharing how we can get 50-65% off at RL?

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Am I really the first to point out that the OP is a scumbag for not sharing how we can get 50-65% off at RL?

relative is a senior manager at store (ive never really taken them up on offer before)

bjm

Reaction score
with RLPL suits and blazers going for a ridiculous $300 each today at woodbury..who cares. There are serious deals everywhere you look right now. 50-70% off is common these days.

Originally Posted by bigbris1

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Echo the above.

Purple Label is great stuff. I preferred the English Chester Barrie cut to the current Italian Saint Andrews one, though the general view is that Saint Andrews suits are of better build quality (I have no idea, really).

Honestly, I prefer the RLPL look to Tom Ford, but you may not. They are not at all the same but they do have a significant amount of overlap.

+1? for a camel hair coat. I have never seen one, but I would expect RLPL to do a great one.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go for staples such as shoes, either EG or CJ then to suits. I do well with blue label personally.

Things I would not buy using this discount would be RLPL dress shirts and ties.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Echo the above.

Purple Label is great stuff. I preferred the English Chester Barrie cut to the current Italian Saint Andrews one, though the general view is that Saint Andrews suits are of better build quality (I have no idea, really).

Honestly, I prefer the RLPL look to Tom Ford, but you may not. They are not at all the same but they do have a significant amount of overlap.

+1? for a camel hair coat. I have never seen one, but I would expect RLPL to do a great one.

really? i like ST Andrew's cut better than Chester Barries (tend to be stiffer ime)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads