1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I broke up with my gf (general breakup thread)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Matt, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

This incident is not a big deal to you or me because we're guys. Apology accepted, move on. For whatever reason that no one will ever be able to explain adequately, minor screw-ups like these are a big deal to many women. The only question is whether she will express her displeasure vocally or quietly seethe the rest of the evening. So I don't think that your GF was completely out of line compared to how a typical woman would react. That it appears to be part of a pattern of behavior should give you pause, however.

2. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Lol what? If he's dating an 18 year old bimbo this might be a big issue. Believe it or not, women exist that don't actually care about minor crap like this. If he was always forgetting to buy her drinks, it'd be an issue. Once, on his birthday, when someone buys him a drink? Not so much. I do agree with you that the fact that she frequently throws bitch fits means she's a problem. My solution? Drop her.

3. CTGuy

CTGuy Senior member

The rehearsal dinner thing is inexcusable. I am the son of a widowed mom too. My gf does not need to be in love with my mom, but she needs to respect the relationship that we do have. I think as I passed age 30 I dealt with relationship issues that chaffed with family stuff differently. I am willing to compromise and flex on certain things, but certain issues like family are just make or break. I don't even want to discuss it or have a conversation about those types of issues and if you can't understand that then so long. It goes without saying that I respect my partner's relationship with her family in the same way. If you cannot rely on your partner to be supportive and rational in those types of situations, I don't care how good they are in bed, it ain't worth it.

As far as the drink thing. Sounds stupid. I am with AC, I know of no woman who is without irrational bullshit sometimes. If you are unwilling to accept that then good luck finding a functional long term relationship. On the other side of the coin I realize I do plenty of stupid shit my GF cannot stand. On it's own the drink issue is something I'd probably be able to get over. Combined with the pattern, that was just the final drop in the bucket that caused things to overflow.

4. gort

gort Senior member

Thanks for the valuable insight. :)

5. APK

APK Senior member

Yeah, it's unfair to women to suggest that most of them would let such a minor incident snowball into a dispute that ruins an evening. Sure, women like that are out there. I've seen them in action. Generally, though, I think they're more the exception than the rule.

All gort's girlfriend needed to do there was ask if he had bought her a drink while she was in the restroom. At that point, he has the opening to say that he didn't, but offer to get her one. Only someone with juvenile sensibilities would allow such a benign episode to overshadow their significant other's birthday. Or hell, ANY day.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  6. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

Two incidents aren't necessarily enough to call it a pattern. One of those could have just been a really fucking bad day. Granted, the first incident sounds completely fucked up, but if yall have been together for any significant period of time and things are otherwise good, it may be worth waiting for a third data point. How long between bitch fits and how long have yall been together?

7. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

blah blah blah. anyone throwing a tantrum over not being bought a drink by her boyfriend on his birthday (when she should be buying him drinks and grabbing his junk underneath the table) is a crazy selfish bitch. Even among the most high maintenance queen b's, i don't know a girl that'd do that. Apart from my friends crazy sometimes violent girlfriend (see things pissing you off). No excuses, no explanation necessary.

1 person likes this.
  8. APK

APK Senior member

Indeed. Unless she was plastered, that doesn't sound like something someone with no history of such behavior would do.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Correct

Drop her Gort.

10. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

yup

This scares the fuck out of me because at the moment it seems like it might be true, then i read this

I can vaguely remember my ex being good like this.

I get the feeling that i just can't be with a freaking princess.

11. APK

APK Senior member

I know this bucks a lot of stereotypes, but there are legitimately attractive/pretty/beautiful women who are able to carry themselves maturely, even in the face of "aversion."

12. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Yeah i know.

It also goes the other way; she has to be strong-minded enough to challenge you.

By "princess" I mean someone who expects "chivalry" (the bad, pointless kind), constant attention and for you to have nothing else in your life. FML.

Also, am i a wanker if I can't be fucked sorting out a fight that i think is pointless and over nothing? I just couldn't be bothered last night. Midnight, just wanted to go to sleep, rejected calls and hung up phone, went to sleep.

13. VelvetGreen

VelvetGreen Senior member

You know what to do.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Eason

Eason Senior member

When you break up with her try to make it a Narm moment:

"I don't think we should see eachother anymore... I don thin we shoul see eachothe anymor... Idunthinweshuseeeachotanymo... Iduthieueeeoooamooo... shouuuumoooooooo!" then roll your eyes up into your head and pretend to die.

15. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

You're wise...

I used to enjoy drama in my youth and now I can't take any non-sense anymore...

These kind of relationships are just a waste of time unless you enjoy them.

16. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

as corny as this is going to sound, last night i made a wish that for my ex to just call me already instead of emailing me 1-2x a month, asking the most random things (IMO) in hopes of getting in contact with me.

back story: broke up beginning of last summer after almost 2 years (5 years total of knowing each other), i had 2.5 months of minor to severe depression. then started to hit the gym and found work that pretty much put me at ease. pretty much moved on mentally/physically, 50% emotionally. still think about her. have not been in contact for 4+ months now?

really caught me off guard but just received phone call from her. she kept calling every time i didn't pick up until i finally did, after 3rd call. wanted to meet me after work, i cant. will not be "off work" till 11PM tonight. asked me when is lunch and to call her back then.

what to do?? is this fate? is this real life? i couldn't really read her tone but sounds like she is either upset/misses me, or something happened. i am thinking the latter, and i hope to god it has nothing to do with the puppy we raised.

(i'm freaking out if you cannot till)

17. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Not sure what to say to that.

Go if you think you can take seeing her again, perhaps one last time, and go back to moving on with your life.

18. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Do not go see her.

It doesn't sound like an emergency or she would've flat out said so/she shouldn't be contacting you anyway, doesn't she have friends/parents?

Do not.

Do not

Do not.

It will undo everything man.

4 months is way too long to have been broken back and just to expect to get back together that easily.

Remember, there's a reason she broke up with you in the first place and tat won't have changed.

Good luck toasty.

19. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

I would ask her for a drink or something. Nothing fancy. It has been more than four months.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  20. VelvetGreen

VelvetGreen Senior member

It never works the second time. It never works. It never works.