1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I Bought my Wife an Expensive Handbag ><

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by furo, Sep 14, 2009.

1. furo

furo Senior member

Okay, so I splurged and got a vintage used Chanel bag for my wife as a xmas present (until she finds it of course, nothing can be hidden well enough)

It's made of quilted lambskin in a solid black (probably from the late 80s or early 90s I'd guess). It has some noticeable wear on it near the corners of the bottom and light scratches here and there.

Question is: should I try and polish it up myself or send it away to a professional?

I called up the Chanel store in NYC and the lady recommended using a Meltonian cream, called #170 that's supposedly for delicate leather. Of course she then recommended I send it in for Chanel's "full treatment" which runs $265 and takes 2-3 months to complete (making xmas a risk)

Anyone with some experience/knowledge in this?

2. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Send me the bag, and I'll take care of it for you.

3. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Okay, so I splurged and got a vintage used Chanel bag for my wife as a xmas present (until she finds it of course, nothing can be hidden well enough) It's made of quilted lambskin in a solid black (probably from the late 80s or early 90s I'd guess). It has some noticeable wear on it near the corners of the bottom and light scratches here and there. Question is: should I try and polish it up myself or send it away to a professional? I called up the Chanel store in NYC and the lady recommended using a Meltonian cream, called #170 that's supposedly for delicate leather. Of course she then recommended I send it in for Chanel's "full treatment" which runs $265 and takes 2-3 months to complete (making xmas a risk) Anyone with some experience/knowledge in this?
    I would venture to say that it all depends on how much people really mean it when they say its the thought that counts. Suck up and get it professionally done (if not from Chanel, then from another professional).

4. furo

furo Senior member

Send me the bag, and I'll take care of it for you.

[​IMG]

5. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Those bags are great. I bought one several years back. The cost has really gone up significantly in recent years - practically doubled.

Don't have much advice as to the reconditioning, but I'd probably have it professionally done (but not by any old Joe Schmo cobbler).

Word of warning: now that she has the taste for luxury, that will be her new baseline....

6. furo

furo Senior member

Those bags are great. I bought one several years back. The cost has really gone up significantly in recent years - practically doubled.

Don't have much advice as to the reconditioning, but I'd probably have it professionally done (but not by any old Joe Schmo cobbler).

Word of warning: now that she has the taste for luxury, that will be her new baseline....

A big +1 on the last part. As I've started to build my wardrobe since leaving the military, she too has begun to move away from the trendy brands

She pointed the aforementioned bag out in a magazine and said "see... now this one NEVER goes out of style..."

I'm hoping it becomes her "staple" accessory, if there is such a thing

7. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

Before buying my wife her Chanel bag I signed up for the Purse Forum. You think SF members can be hardcore. Those Chanelista's are crazy. However, they provided me with guidance so that I wouldn't make a mistake. Unfortunately, I now know far too much about Chanel bags and that information has supplanted more important info in my brain like passwords and when to pay the power bill.

8. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

I, too, am a member of the Purse Forum [​IMG]

9. distinctive

distinctive Senior member

10. stylesmurf

stylesmurf Senior member

11. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

^This. Leatherique is superb stuff. Also handy on cars.

12. doctorj!

doctorj! Senior member

Send it to Rago brothers in Morristown, NJ. They are the best of the best!

AJ

13. JParker89

JParker89 Active Member

AJ

Seconded. The company that I work for uses Rago Brothers as their official repair center, and they do fantastic work.

14. furo

furo Senior member

AJ

Interesting. I will give them a call to see what the prices might be.

15. apropos

apropos Senior member

Interesting. I will give them a call to see what the prices might be.
    All the best! [​IMG] Keep us updated.

16. GBR

GBR Senior member

Scruffy second hand hand bag. Will she consider that a gift or an error of judgement. I would try to get the thing refurbished if possible, otherwise sell it again and get something more apprpriate.

The very fact that you are asking confirms to me that you have significant doubts.

17. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

Have a professional do it, such as Art-Craft (Madison Avenue) and Evelyn & San (E. 83rd St.), both in NYC. They will do a much better job than you could do.

Of course, you can send it to Chanel NYC, but it will be sending it out. I doubt that it has an in-house handbag maker on the premises. (Hermes NYC does it handbag repairs in-house.)

Good luck.

18. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I'm intrigued about what the bag looks like - style-wise.

19. furo

furo Senior member

Scruffy second hand hand bag. Will she consider that a gift or an error of judgement. I would try to get the thing refurbished if possible, otherwise sell it again and get something more apprpriate.

The very fact that you are asking confirms to me that you have significant doubts.

Well sure I have doubts. I bought used, so like anything used, you will have doubts

Looks like I will probably do some type of send-away refurb on this, just need to find best value

20. furo

furo Senior member

I'm intrigued about what the bag looks like - style-wise.

[​IMG]