• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I bought a sharpening stone

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Starting with a blunt knife on a 1000 stone wasn't easy for me as a first-timer. I put in a lot of effort and patience and thought I hadn't achieved much (I couldn't cut through paper and I thought (wrongfully?) that wouldn't be very hard to achieve). However, when I cut some tomatoes I found out that the knife was quite a bit sharper than it was before using the stones. So, I'm not there yet (not looking for razor sharp though), but I think I can make this work. It looks like this now:

7KetWmL.jpg

I think I might try to put the clamp a bit further back to get a smaller angle on the stone. Good idea?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How old is the knife? Has it ever been sharpened before by somebody else?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for me one of the learning steps was recognizing the "burr" of excess metal that forms on the edge of the blade when you've done one side enough. then sharpen the other side until the burr reduces, then repeat as necessary. paper should be pretty easy -- that's my main test when i'm sharpening ... fold it in half to stiffen if you need. another test i use when i'm cooking (to see if i need to steel), is to touch the blade to my thumbnail. it should grip rather than slide off. it might be cutting better even though it's not sharp because of the microserrations.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, foodguy. I did the nail test (something I remember from my childhood when checking if my pocketknife was sharp :)), and it didn't really grip. That's why I thought the whole operation had failed, until I did some actual cutting: fortunately, it was sharper than before I started.

I am going to try to get a better result in a few days and will pay attention to the burr next time.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How old is the knife? Has it ever been sharpened before by somebody else?

I'm not sure, but close to fifteen years, I guess. It has been sharpened before, via a local kitchen store that offers knife sharpening.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pull-through sharpeners; good or bad? Salesperson today told me to go ahead with it, but i'm apprehensive.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm not sure, but close to fifteen years, I guess. It has been sharpened before, via a local kitchen store that offers knife sharpening.

So, what foodguy says is right. Raising a burr and then deburring is what sharpening is all about. That is A1. The second, though, is that there are really two issues with sharpness. The first is the edge itself, and the second is the metal behind the edge. One reason knives "stop getting sharp" as they get older is that the edge keeps rising up the knife each time it is sharpened, but the knife is thick up there, so it becomes really hard to put a good angle on, and even if you can, it is thick behind the knife so that anything hard you cut will kind of snap as the whole knife goes through it. With an older knife you may need to spend some time thinning the knife behind the edge before you can put a really usable edge on it.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pull-through sharpeners; good or bad? Salesperson today told me to go ahead with it, but i'm apprehensive.

pull-through sharpeners are the clip-on bowties of cutlery.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, what foodguy says is right. Raising a burr and then deburring is what sharpening is all about. That is A1. The second, though, is that there are really two issues with sharpness. The first is the edge itself, and the second is the metal behind the edge. One reason knives "stop getting sharp" as they get older is that the edge keeps rising up the knife each time it is sharpened, but the knife is thick up there, so it becomes really hard to put a good angle on, and even if you can, it is thick behind the knife so that anything hard you cut will kind of snap as the whole knife goes through it. With an older knife you may need to spend some time thinning the knife behind the edge before you can put a really usable edge on it.

Thanks. It's old, but I've only had it sharpened once, maybe twice, in all those years :embar:. So the second is probably not relevant yet?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks. It's old, but I've only had it sharpened once, maybe twice, in all those years :embar:. So the second is probably not relevant yet?

with a knife that dull, it could take 25 to 30 minutes to put a good edge on it the first time. keep after it and touchups should only take 5 or so after that. but my guess is you've got a lot of bad metal you've got to get rid of.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

with a knife that dull, it could take 25 to 30 minutes to put a good edge on it the first time. keep after it and touchups should only take 5 or so after that. but my guess is you've got a lot of bad metal you've got to get rid of.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:( I'm gonna give it another shot though! :)

Just to be sure: by bad metal you mean the knives themselves or the "knife edge situation"? In other words: discard of the knives or prepare for more sharpening work?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads