• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I bought a door to make into a desk. Now what?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm hoping the SF Design Collective can help me.

I've long wanted a big old antique door desk - a door with some character that I could turn into a desk. Well, I finally sucked it up and found a pretty cool old door down at the local architectural salvage that I thought would fit the bill. It's a nice panelled mahogany door with a deep rich color and I rather like it. I'm planning on buying a piece of glass to put over top of it.

Now the question is - what legs to put under it? I guess I always thought I could go grab a nice pair of trestle legs at Ikea and stuff an old filing cabinet underneath too, but now that I've got the door I'm a bit worried the whole thing will look like too much of a mashup.

Eventually the desk will end up in a house I'm working on that is sort of a Spanish Mission meets Craftsman style, with lots of interior wood paneling and wood floors. It will likely sit on a pretty classic oriental carpet. I like the idea of kind of a modern, clean trestle desk but don't know where to get the legs, or what kind of filing cabinet to combine it with.

Any ideas? The door is pictured below.

doork.jpg

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy a desk to make into a door </snark>

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
I am no expert, but maybe you could get a large piece of glass cut to go over the top?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yes, would cover in plexy

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
You can probably find a nice wooden filing cabinet on the cheap. My dad was an attorney and we literally were giving them away when he died because most people don't want them.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now you have to find an old wooden desk with destroyed top for cheap.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you piece the desk together from parts (legs, cabinet, door, etc.) strip and refinish in a uniform stain (try to get woods as similar as possible).

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Put two file cabinets underneath it (metal for contrast would even work) and a piece of glass over the top.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
you live in the dc area right? there are often sales of old state department/war department furniture. we have some and its incredibly cheap yet very, very well built and nice.

currnetly some former card catalogs are serving as wine holders upstairs!

Hany

Reaction score
Here's my design idea:
Do not put a single piece of glass but 6 pieces made to fit perfectly in each rectangle. It would look much much better.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would find some old bedposts to turn upside down for legs. Put glass across the top.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I suggest an integrated plexiglass system whereby the door is sandwiched between the top and legs:

cb2+Peekaboo+Console+acrylic+clear+plastic+lucite+table.jpg

We had some glass "X"s made to hold up a table made out of an extinct Australian hardwood. Very similar concept.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
currnetly some former card catalogs are serving as wine holders upstairs!

Your best post ever.

I've been trying to think of something to do with old wooden card catalogs, because some are really nice, and couldn't think of anything (other than rolling up ties and using some drawers for cufflinks.

Great idea.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads