• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I bought a couple of shirts from Eton which were size 42. I'm a size 38 now and I got them altered. However the collars are too big

Greathim

Reaction score
Idk if collars are supposed to be this big and how to wear them. Can anyone please tell me what is going on? I'm very terrible with formal clothing and will greatly appreciate some help. The manager at Isaia told me that collar sizes don't change significantly with sizes.
IMG_20210621_230626__01.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20210621-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20210621-WA0005.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 49

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Idk if collars are supposed to be this big and how to wear them. Can anyone please tell me what is going on? I'm very terrible with formal clothing and will greatly appreciate some help. The manager at Isaia told me that collar sizes don't change significantly with sizes. View attachment 1628330
37 and 38 should have the same collar, then 39 and 40 then 41 and 42 and it goes on. Was it half an inch between each tier? Doesn’t matter you can clearly see the collar is too big.

Greathim

Reaction score
37 and 38 should have the same collar, then 39 and 40 then 41 and 42 and it goes on. Was it half an inch between each tier? Doesn’t matter you can clearly see the collar is too big.
Is it possible to do anything about this or would it look weird if I wore this?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He told you the collar doesn’t change much between sizes? What an absurd comment given shirts are sized according to collar and sleeve length.

Greathim

Reaction score
He told you the collar doesn’t change much between sizes? What an absurd comment given shirts are sized according to collar and sleeve length.
Idk why he said that. What do I do with these shirts? Can I salvage them?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are 2 years old. However, I haven't worn them. Anyway can collars be altered? Will such big collars look bad or weird?

they can’t really be altered. They can be replaced, but I’m not sure that options affords you the ability to size down.

your options are to keep them and just wear them open collar. You could wear a thin turtle neck underneath to add bulk to the neck area but then that might make it tight across the body.

the other option is to wear it under a sweater.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads