1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I bought a brand new 2011 coat but it stinks like warehouse odor

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Snoopy, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Snoopy

Snoopy Senior member

Bought a brand new 100% cotton coat for a cheap price. It's from 2011 of May so it's been sitting in their warehouse for that long. They didn't seal shut the plastic bag to prevent odor for going in. The smell is not that strong but when you take a good close wiff it's funky.

I bought some charcoal material suit covers on ebay hopefully it will help to kill the odor but is there something else I can do? I don't want to wash the coat it's brand new and I don't want to take it to the dry cleaners.

Do you think if I wear it often outside the smell will eventually die? Or should I stick some bars of soap in the dust bag? I heard Safeguard soap works.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I thought about spraying some Armani code cologne on it but maybe that will make things worse?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  2. stu00a

stu00a Senior member

3. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

-Hang it outside to air out on a clear day
    -Brush it a with garment brush to get out the dust
    -Put an electric HEPA filter in your closet (I almost always have mine running to reduce odors and dust)
    -After that, you can try loading a spray bottle with half vodka/half water. Spray conservatively. Google for more info, I've only read about this once

1 person likes this.
  4. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

This should be a last resort.

5. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

I've found airing it outdoors for a while typically works. I've bought supposingly NWOT stuff, including off these forums, that smelled horribly and would typically hang the piece outside for about a week, then dry clean and the smell would be gone.

By the way, from my experience, dry cleaning something with a strong odor doesn't seem to always get rid of the odor. Not sure how it is for others, maybe my dry cleaners just suck.

1 person likes this.
  6. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

I've gotten the smell of cigar smoke out of a couple jackets with a good steaming followed by a lengthy airing. YMMV

1 person likes this.
  7. Snoopy

Snoopy Senior member

Thanks for the advise guys. :D

Been wanting to purchase a steamer for the longest not a bad idea.

I'm going to try and put a box of baking soda inside the dust cover bag for a whole week and see if I get results.

I could return the coat for a refund but I got it at a steal.

8. Jhors2

Jhors2 Senior member

Let us know how it goes. Would like to see what works for you in case I ever have this experience.

9. Snoopy

Snoopy Senior member

Thanks everyone for tips and advice!

I will give an update in a couple of weeks. :D

10. GBR

GBR Senior member

Return it or if it was so cheap as you suggest then the smell was probably part of the deal! Otherwise hang it outside - that will probably cure it.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  11. Snoopy

Snoopy Senior member

Update:

The smell of my coat is completely gone. Apparently the charcoal covers I bought from ebay did the job in eradicating the smell.

[​IMG]

They are cheaply made in china covers. The plastic see through is thin and cheap but I guess because of the charcoal material fabric they are effective in absorbing bad odors.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  12. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

Wait a minute. Something doesn't feel right. Was there really a smelly coat, or is this a well devised attempt to sell some of those dust covers? I've heard of viral marketing before but never felt victimized until today.

13. GBR

GBR Senior member

Well spotted. Marginal businesses always feel the need to resort to such tactics.

14. Snoopy

Snoopy Senior member

Guys I don't sell on ebay. I edited my post.

Those covers are sold by chinese sellers, I'm not chinese. I'm not here for that shit stop acting like little drama queens!

The covers are cheap material crap but I they work because my coat does not smell like warehouse anymore.

15. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

Now you are blaming the Chinese and throwing out comparisons that are very disrespectful to drama queens. Stop deflecting. Why no pictures of this supposedly smelly coat? What seller of such goods keeps their wares in a smelly warehouse? Your story doesn't hold water. J'accuse!

16. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

Thank you. I can't in good faith claim to be a professional level detective, but I've seen the "Maltese Falcon" more times than I care to remember and I understood most of it (until the end, that is). so i feel like i have a good working knowledge in these situations.

17. Snoopy

Snoopy Senior member

^
    The coat doesn't smell anymore. The fault was in the company that didn't seal the bag because wool or cotton can absorb bad odors. But the smelly coat was MSRP 297 and I copped for 87 :D That's a steal. But I think even leaving the coat hanging in the closet probably would lose the smell. It was a bad smell of abandonment.

But now it smells like fresh flowers, like your moms vagina LOL

18. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

I have a Buzz Rickson flight jacket that had a horrible mildew smell. I bought two gallons of vinegar and dumped it all in the bathtub and cut it with some tap water. Dunked the jacket, let it hang dry. Then it smelled like vinegar, so I aired it out on the roof. Smell is gone.

Selling on eBay over the weekend.

19. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

this is excellent. there used to be a way to pin threads on this forum. I would suggest that the moderators find a way to pin this thread. the next time someone buys a new garment with a terrible odor, he will undoubtedly be faced with the dizzying and mystifying choice of how to deal with the issue (and will of course immediately rule out dry cleaning or washing the new, stinky garment as that wouldn't make any sense). He will then post here. But if this thread is pinned at the top of page one, then he will see that the age old sartorial quandary of how to deal with newly purchased things that smell terrible has already been answered in full. This forum improves. Onward and upward. I sincerely apologize for questioning your motive. It was a heartfelt inquiry on my part, but clearly misguided.

20. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

Snoopy, leave it outside for a day or two if you can. If the stench persists, spray some of your cologne on it. This should hide all store or factory odours, just a a few hits should do it. You don't want to end up as the man who hates asthmatics.