I bought 3 Tom Fords and I feel terrible about it.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by intense2b, Apr 22, 2013.

1. intense2b

intense2b Well-Known Member

I found his email and I asked if its possible to do a TF custom suit.

Lets see what happens :)....excited !

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

3. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

This man wrote this article V

4. dlm4114

dlm4114 Senior member

If I were you, my only concern with TF OTR would be the pants. TF style, construction, and materials (as has been said here already) are all tough to beat, but at that price point I would not want to have to mess around with taking much off of the waist of the slacks. I have a decent drop as well and bringing in pants too much bugs me when I do it at significantly lower prices.

5. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

watching some cablevision commercials are you?

6. intense2b

Please ignor that !!!! LOL....mistake!!! I can't seem to edit or erase posts via iPhone .

7. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I edited it for you since you seemed not to want it there - you should be able to edit on iPhone by clicking the pencil icon to the right of the trash can.

8. intense2b

thank you !!!!!

the button dorsnt work on the iphone....none of the buttons actually do.... np problem with computer.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013

9. intense2b

This is the one I was talking about ....it seems to cheap to be true !

[​IMG]

10. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

if money is no object, i would use kilgour for bespoke. one of savile row's finest (made suits for cary grant etc) , and the strong-shouldered silhouette is not dissimilar to tom ford.
    they will be in new york in june, check the website for details.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013

11. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Dude you're seriously thinking of moving from a $6,000 suit to a $500 suit?

On Savile Row (the finest bespoke you will find) You'd be looking at a £3,000 starting price. I'm sure there are cheaper but equally good options in NYC but I can't imagine that you'll get anything matching TF for less than about $5,000. There was a calculation spelled out a while ago that I will try and find with regard to price.

12. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

This comes from The Style Blogger, who is generally looked down upon in these parts for being a flashy douchebag (not to mention beating our local hero to the Best Dressed Man in America award a few years ago), but what he says is accurate and worth baring in mind when looking at "discount" bespoke.

13. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

This. Stick with the TF if that's what you want and can afford it. Shady no-name MTM is a recipe for disaster.

14. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

Folks in NYC speak well of Len Logsdail for bespoke suits. He is a Savile Row trained craftsman. maybe not modern enough style for your taste but certainly top tier. Call him and tell him what you are looking for and your price levels. If he doesnt think he can do a style that works for you, he is most likely professional enough to recommend another top tier gent that can. You will probably get better stuff, particularly given your fashion preferences in Manhattan as opposed to the suburbs.

Please do yourself a favor and get your TF suits tailored by a top notch tailor. You already dropped $18K, so whats another 1K or so to get it done right?? As folks have said, you are better off getting a $800 suit that is well tailored than a $6000 suit that isnt. The good news is you can afford both the $6000 suit and the best tailoring together.

I have used Pierre of Paris for alterations and he has always done a top notch job for me. He is located right by Macy's on 7th avenue. He also does full bespoke work (alot of stuff for actors such as a few jackets for Viggo Mortenson for the Oscars). I am going to try his bespoke work next. But maybe let him work on one of your TF suits and see how it goes? He is a bit quirky but is truly a talented craftsman who loves making excellent mens' clothing.

If you go to him, take your time and ask him questions - you will learn alot. I have learned a great deal from him. I finally got the point of bespoke when he referred to my Phineas Cole trousers as 'nice factory pants.'

15. intense2b

Of course not . It would just be practice or a learning experience . I consider it like taking a course in bespoke.

As far as my statement that "money is no object "......I have to take that back!

I just learned that bespoke has suits as high as 30k......I'm not willing to go that high for a suit.

I think my limit would be 6k or maybe a little more.....but certainly not for my first try .

I'm going to get the 595 ones as a try out or a "throw away suit"......if it sucks who cares? At least I will have learned something .