I bought 3 Tom Fords and I feel terrible about it.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by intense2b, Apr 22, 2013.

1. bigbergers

bigbergers Active Member

I'd probably purchase just 1 TF suit just to see how it fits and the overall quality then have my tailor copy the suit.

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

3. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

I still think Tom Ford is the best RTW out there, in terms of fabric, construction, fit, and handsewn details. So you did well for a neophyte (although you did spend $18k). I'd recommend you keep them, since you can afford them; but go and spend some time reading about the bespoke process, and researching into the various top-end bespoke Houses in Italy and London. If it takes your fancy, bespoke tailoring will bring you a lot of pleasure for the rest of your life.

4. kulata

kulata Senior member

It fits and most importantly you can afford it. I say continue buying TF and veer into bespoke world if you want the experience. The end (fit) justifies the means after all.

5. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Senior member

Agree completely. I have nearly a dozen excellent bespoke suits and odd jackets but find that the Brooks Brothers Madison line and Ralph Lauren's Black Label fits me wonderfully, especially after my bespoke tailor (who, blessedly, does alterations) tweaks them a bit.

The downsides with ready-to-wear are you don't get the exact style you may like (I go for a hard three-button, double vented, Poole-style jacket and relatively high waisted, double pleated trousers with side adjusters when I go bespoke but, of course, could never find that off the rack) and your fabric choices are limited. But if you find yourself happy enough with what's available in the models that fit, it's a good way to round out your wardrobe without going broke.

No experience with MTM or cheap pseudo-bespoke. No interest given the above.

6. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Senior member

Agree. There was a bespoke tailoring website a couple of years ago (which one escapes me at the moment) which cut-up a Tom Ford suit to examine the construction. The verdict - the best RTW suit the man had ever seen and the equal in many ways of a bespoke.

I understand, however, that the legendary Edward Sexton in London has a house style that's not too far from Tom Ford's (in fact, he's been cited occasionally as claiming - without much rancor - that Ford ripped off style). So if I liked Tom Ford and had the time and cash for it, I'd give Sexton a shot.

7. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Senior member

Worry not - your Tom Fords are fully canvassed, just like a bespoke suit. And Ford is all about the muscular upper-body look (the inverted triangle) so you're unlikely to have done much better on that front by going bespoke.

8. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Jesus F'ing Christ!

I just went to Sexton's website to see what he's doing these days and that thing is a disaster! I couldn't get that stupid song to stop playing, had to use the computer because my ipad wont render the entirely flash-based website.

The man may be a genius with cloth but someone needs to punch his web designer.

9. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Senior member

The site works great on a computer. He probably had it designed before iPads took over and screwed up all the over-the-top bells and whistles.

Seriously, if I ever get to London, I'm seeing Sexton for a suit. One of the greatest - if not THE greatest - bespoke tailors alive today and I quite like his style.

10. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I was thinking whose style might fit the OP's love of TF, and I thought Edward Sexton. Might want to look into it OP...

11. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

I believe you're thinking of JefferyD's blog (yes, the same JefferyD who posted earlier in this thread).

12. intense2b

intense2b Well-Known Member

Thanks for that !!! I will absolutely check out your list.... THANK YOU!!!
    I live in NY so i hope some NY places will be on that list.

I'll drive into Manhattan but I live in Westchester and there's this Tailor by the name of Tony Mancino . Has anyone every heard of him ? Check him out here at

Www.Mancinotailors.com .

Now I already have a blue , a black , grey ford ....also have blue and black Gucci , and am eszterhasz box design Gucci , a sort of silver Guccl and then a bunch of crappy boss which I use on b.s. days.

So I think the next sensible thing is a blue pinstripe custom made to round out the wardrobe . You think that's right?

Can they do the same with shirts? I love the Ford collar.....

13. intense2b

14. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Spending some time researching bespoke OP, the answer will come to you...

15. intense2b

Here's the guy who ripped up the Tom Ford suit....I think of anyone can do it it's him:

http://tuttofattoamano.blogspot.com/2010/10/tom-ford.html?m=1

Does anyone know who he is ? He may have posted on this thread. I'll
    Try and contact him later this week and let you all
    Know how my Tom Ford custom copy comes along . :)