• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I believe <blank company> will <blank> in 2009.

athletics

Reaction score
I think its certain now what 2009 will be a rough year for some retailers. I certainly hope the economy rebounds, but in the meantime some companies, good and otherwise, might make a move to sell out or close up shop entirely. Some might be necessary economic Darwinism, others sad to go. Who is the most susceptible?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see Sears going down. Especially since they're using their available cash to buy back stock instead of funding operations.

Material Boy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texasmade
I see Sears going down. Especially since they're using their available cash to buy back stock instead of funding operations.

That is usually a sign that the company believes its stock is undervalued. At least that is what I learned in my finance class.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I believe Hollywood will **** my childhood in 2009.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Material Boy
That is usually a sign that the company believes its stock is undervalued. At least that is what I learned in my finance class.

Yes usually that's true. If ExxonMobil buys stock it's no big deal since they generate huge amounts of cash. Sears doesn't and to top it off no one buys from them. They have serious problems in the business model which hasn't been addressed by Eddie Lampert.

mrbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Material Boy

That is a sign that Eddie Lampert can't afford to loose all his institutional investors (though he has lost most).

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sears will goto 0 or autozone will buy sears and they will both goto 0

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I believe Wal-Mart will sell a hell of a lot of socks and underwear in 2009.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think they might do relatively better than many other outfits. Sears seems to be regarded on roughly the same level as Target or Wal-Mart - a place to buy basics at reasonable prices. They also have great regional diversity - there's a Sears in every crappy little town in the nation.

Every time I go through the Sears in Cambridge, it's pretty hopping even if the rest of the galleria is empty as a tomb.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I believe Hollywood will **** my childhood in 2009.

They already raped mine in 2007 and 2008 with Transformers and Indiana Jones.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
They already raped mine in 2007 and 2008 with Transformers and Indiana Jones.

Ok then - Hollywood will continue to **** the dessicated corpse of what was once my childhood.

Better?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Irond Will
I think they might do relatively better than many other outfits. Sears seems to be regarded on roughly the same level as Target or Wal-Mart - a place to buy basics at reasonable prices. They also have great regional diversity - there's a Sears in every crappy little town in the nation.

Every time I go through the Sears in Cambridge, it's pretty hopping even if the rest of the galleria is empty as a tomb.

That's completely different than the Sears and K-Mart near my side of Houston. They're both ghost towns all day everyday. Walmart and Target are packed though.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Ok then - Hollywood will continue to **** the dessicated corpse of what was once my childhood.

Better?

Unfortunately, you're probably right. Doesn't the Transformers sequel come out this year? At this point, I'll just be happy if they don't make a fourth Back to the Future.

Cornellian

Reaction score
I believe Hickey Freeman will start drastically cutting quality on their mainline suits in 2009.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads