• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I-banking interviews next week - Help me pick an outfit

Swag22

Reaction score
So I'm a junior in college and I have a few interviews set up next week for internships at banks.

I'm pretty strapped with cash and already have a suit from Zara which I've tailored a bit to fit well (yeah I know, but whatever I'm broke :slayer: ) and dress shoes (cap-toe oxfords that cost more than my suit) which I'll be wearing. Basically my question is regarding the choice of shirt and tie:

I know banking is a pretty conservative industry so I was thinking a light blue button up shirt (I already have a nice light blue and a nice plain white) and I'm torn on a color for my tie. Any suggestions on colors and brands that won't run me anymore than ~$50?

Probably will be heading to the mall in a few hours so any suggestions are appreciated.

tj100

Reaction score
I have to say that it really doesn't matter. Wearing a suit is the only requirement. It's expected that it will be cheap and ill fitting.

If anything, being too polished would be held against you.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
White shirt. Basic tie.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

White shirt. Basic tie.

Yeah. Buy the best tie you can afford. Brooks Brothers on sale - basic stripe or pattern. Nothing flashy.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also...
-no french cuffed shirt
-take a few minute to shine your shoes
-MANICURE
-haircut
-leave the sports watch at home

Pahreen

Reaction score
Wear the blue shirt (bankers pretty much only wear blue shirts). The shoes and the the tie are the most important. For $67, you can get a decent grenadine tie from J. Press (standard interview tie, in my opinion).

Is this for New York or the West Coast? That makes a big difference.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

so you should not have clean nails and leave the casio g-shock watch at home???

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

so you should not have clean nails and leave the casio g-shock watch at home???

clean nails of course...manicured? completely unnecessary unless you have truly hideous cuticles.

Casio g-shocks are children's watches. submariners, seamasters, tag carreras etc are sports watches, and appropriate for interviews so long as they aren't a loud color (i.e. planet ocean).

The comment that bankers only wear blue shirts is over the top.

mcbrown

Reaction score
Don't worry about it - the fact that you show up in a suit, dress shirt and tie at all will max out your "appearance" points in the interviewer's eyes. A quality wardrobe is not a necessary qualification for summer food and beverage analysts.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think your interviewer or supervisor will care about your dressing since they knew you are a student

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads