• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I-banking interview suit suggestions?

RLPL Junkie

Reaction score
Hey fellas,

I am about to interview for i-banking internships (insert jokes here). I am 6ft, 200lbs, a little more wt in the butt and thighs than I would like. RLPL's fit me perfectly, but I can't spend another $4k on a suit and their simple navy suits never go on sale.

Any suggestions? I was thinking the Obama Hart Shaffner Marx suit (Golden something or other)... I just bought an armani 2 button and a burberry 2 button with ticket pocket, but based on your advice from my last post, it sound like I should return them. Bottom line... I want something that is not going to draw attention to me but yet a suit that is high quality like RLPL's. Would BB black fleece be to tight on my thighs even if I size up?

Suggestions? What do you think?

Rufus

Reaction score
Just get a regular Brooks Brothers sack suit. You want to look like everyone else. I work in "the business" and believe me nobody wants to hire somebody for an entry level banking (analyst or associate) job that has any ideas about style. You are going to be sitting in front of a computer for 18 hours a day for the next 2 years, dress like you are somebody that will enjoy that and won't complain or quit. Looking good may actually hurt your chances. One caveat being that if you are going into sales its a totally different story...but i assume u mean banking/corporate finance.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Canali charcoal suit in the B&S forum, of course.

syberhat

Reaction score
What business line are you interviewing for? Not sure how you feel about brooks brothers suits, but they are having a pretty decent winter sale. I see their suits online for $600. You can usually find a 15% coupon floating around too. The selection in the stores always seems to be better than what is available online and if you are not in a rush they can order your size and lock in the sales prices for you.

I also walked by a Hickey Freeman in SF and they seemed to have a good sale going (although the prices were still a bit high for me).

RLPL Junkie

Reaction score
Rufus...Great tip! This is for an internship interview... but eventually i'd like to go into M&A. I'd like to get a suit (albeit simple and conservative) that I would wear after this interview. How about a flat navy 2 button zegna? Or, if BB as per your suggestion, would the presidential be worthwhile?

JamesBond...lol!

Dan G

Reaction score
If you want to get into an M&A shop that will do in a deal this decade, you should get a job with the FDIC.

RLPL Junkie

Reaction score
DanG... LMAO! I knew I should not have mentioned i-banking...

Any ideas about the suit?

kfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dan G
If you want to get into an M&A shop that will do a deal this decade, you should get a job with the FDIC.

Well played! Get a suit that you think looks stunning on you - if you get that feeling from spending lots of cash, then that's fine. Do not post fit pictures on this board; you'll most likely end up walking away feeling like cold ****.

With banking interviews, it's all about how you portray yourself and how you sell yourself. Stay composed and good luck!

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dan G
If you want to get into an M&A shop that will do in a deal this decade, you should get a job with the FDIC.

rimshot.gif

RLPL Junkie

Reaction score
funny, but not helpful. come one fellas... I'm asking you guys cuz I trust you.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen solid gray RLPL suits for $1200,pretty good deal for a solid suit,especially gray one,it is a staple for your wardrobe.You may want to check some stores,if you can't find anything,just go with BB Golden Fleece or something,they have some decent solid suits and you can get them relatively cheap on sale,perhaps under $1000.

Median

Reaction score
It's just my POV but, if you're just going for an internship interview -- no matter if it's M&A -- and don't have a paying role or title, RLPL is excessive. Aim nearer to $500 than over $1k.

Unless you're one of those rich kids or something in which case...why bother asking.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am not joking when I say this.

GO TO TARGET.

I've got built thighs/butt (played rugby at oxford).

You can mix and match the pants (waist/length) and blazer sizes there (chest/length -R vs. L).

As someone who used to do the wall street / investing thing, and now does the medical thing, you do not want to stand out. We are interviewing (med students) right now, and it does kill me how many people wear black suits to the interviews.

There was a recent thread about getting noticed at interviews and such. Here's my experience.

Back when I was in college and I interviewed for an investing summer job in NYC, I went out and bought a new OTR suit at Sterns at Roosevelt Field Mall (now closed -> Macys) on sale. Dark Charcoal, thin pinstripe. At my interview, one of my interviewers, the one deciding whether or not to hire me, commented in a positive manner that she liked that I wore a suit to the interview. I was a college student then. No cufflinks. No pocket square. No black suit.

When I was interviewing for dermatology residency, I had a few suits in my stable. I usually wore a navy blue with grey pinstripes to my interviews - 42r with 36 x 32 pants - again, no links, black shoes (polished), and no square. I got a few comments - nice suit, etc. You want to look good at interviews, but not too good. You dont want to show up interviewers/superiors.

During med school, I also owned (and still do) a grey belvest suit with herringbone pattern and a light blue stripe. A total kick ass suit. I wore this suit to one interview, and my interviewer told me that my suit simply rocked, and that I stood out as someone with balls and told me I had the job. I did not get that spot - probably due to other things. I also wore this same suit to a dermatology function as a med student, with a pocket square, etc. I was told by someone, rather asked by someone, at the event, why/ that I looked better than the attendings... you never want this type of attention when interviewing - it's almost like showing people up.

Seriously, go target. They have great fitting "entry-level" interview suits that look great for what you need to do - get the job.

RLPL Junkie

Reaction score
ThinkDerm!!!! You and I are polar opposites.... I just graduated from med school! Crazy! I matched ortho... but in the end my heart was not in it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads