• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I am so fat :(

Leocurrently

Reaction score
I am 30 and I have the same issues with my weight. I use stores such as DXL, Men's Warehouse, etc. Also, J&M sells really great dress shirts up to XXL. With the designers outside of the US, you might want to go a couple of sizes up.

Rasputin13

Reaction score
I am 30 and I have the same issues with my weight. I use stores such as DXL, Men's Warehouse, etc. Also, J&M sells really great dress shirts up to XXL. With the designers outside of the US, you might want to go a couple of sizes up.
J&M?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some of the answers so far in this thread are depressing. Don't know what's wrong with some people. Bunch of bozos.

To the OP, if you're outside of the typical build, and looking for suits, sport coats, or tailored trousers, get a tailor. There are three ways to get tailored clothing, very broadly speaking:

- Ready to wear: this means what you pull off the rack. Since companies need to move units, they often cater to people with typical builds

- Made to measure: This means a block pattern is adjusted using your measurements. The more you deviate from the block, however, the less likely the resulting garment will fit. A block pattern can only be adjusted so much before a new pattern has to be drafted. How well you fit into a block will depend on the company. If you give us your budget and the city you live, I can try to make a recommendation.

- Bespoke: This means the pattern will be cut by hand, either from a block or from scratch. Although bespoke patterns are sometimes cut from a block, they have greater room for adjustment. Ideally, a tailor using a block pattern will still draft the pattern from scratch if he or she needs to. Again, if you give us a budget and your city, I can try to recommend a tailor.

There's a member on here who's working on a very interesting made to measure project, where a machine will draft your pattern essentially from scratch. This will save a lot of time and labor, and thus create a better MTM suit for less money than bespoke. Given COVID restrictions, this system is not able to travel throughout the US yet. The preliminary results I saw seemed very promising.

That's the tailoring end of things. It's hard to speak on casualwear because casual clothes include such a wide range of aesthetics. Before you shop, I would just pay attention to various Instagram accounts. Try to develop a POV and sense of taste. Think about how you want to dress. A lot of bad, early experimentation can be avoided if you just pay attention to this stuff for a while. Very broadly speaking, I think larger guys tend to do well in workwear. It's easier to find clothes that fit, and the aesthetic fits that build well.

Rasputin13

Reaction score
Some of the answers so far in this thread are depressing. Don't know what's wrong with some people. Bunch of bozos.

To the OP, if you're outside of the typical build, and looking for suits, sport coats, or tailored trousers, get a tailor. There are three ways to get tailored clothing, very broadly speaking:

- Ready to wear: this means what you pull off the rack. Since companies need to move units, they often cater to people with typical builds

- Made to measure: This means a block pattern is adjusted using your measurements. The more you deviate from the block, however, the less likely the resulting garment will fit. A block pattern can only be adjusted so much before a new pattern has to be drafted. How well you fit into a block will depend on the company. If you give us your budget and the city you live, I can try to make a recommendation.

- Bespoke: This means the pattern will be cut by hand, either from a block or from scratch. Although bespoke patterns are sometimes cut from a block, they have greater room for adjustment. Ideally, a tailor using a block pattern will still draft the pattern from scratch if he or she needs to. Again, if you give us a budget and your city, I can try to recommend a tailor.

There's a member on here who's working on a very interesting made to measure project, where a machine will draft your pattern essentially from scratch. This will save a lot of time and labor, and thus create a better MTM suit for less money than bespoke. Given COVID restrictions, this system is not able to travel throughout the US yet. The preliminary results I saw seemed very promising.

That's the tailoring end of things. It's hard to speak on casualwear because casual clothes include such a wide range of aesthetics. Before you shop, I would just pay attention to various Instagram accounts. Try to develop a POV and sense of taste. Think about how you want to dress. A lot of bad, early experimentation can be avoided if you just pay attention to this stuff for a while. Very broadly speaking, I think larger guys tend to do well in workwear. It's easier to find clothes that fit, and the aesthetic fits that build well.
thank you for a very thoughtful response. My suits, dress shirts, and dress slacks I get made so they fit my fat ass perfectly. I am asking about more casual, yet stylish clothing. Like fine cotton t-shirts, polos, henleys, etc.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
thank you for a very thoughtful response. My suits, dress shirts, and dress slacks I get made so they fit my fat ass perfectly. I am asking about more casual, yet stylish clothing. Like fine cotton t-shirts, polos, henleys, etc.
Do you have a certain aesthetic you're aiming for?

I dont like posting stuff I've written on here because it feels grossly self-promotional. But it's easier for me to post these links rather than re-write the ideas here. A few years ago, I wrote a short guide on general casualwear aesthetics.

Included in each category are some recommended brands and stores. Years ago, there used to be a brand (I'm struggling to remember the name) that aimed itself at making larger sizes for guys who prefer workwear.

For casualwear, my feeling is that you have to start with a very intentional aesthetic. Let some basic archetypes guide you and then find clothing that fits you in that category.

Simon at Permanent Style wrote something similar a few years ago, but his site focuses more on "classic" or "basic" casualwear looks. You may also find this post helpful.

Rasputin13

Reaction score
Do you have a certain aesthetic you're aiming for?

I dont like posting stuff I've written on here because it feels grossly self-promotional. But it's easier for me to post these links rather than re-write the ideas here. A few years ago, I wrote a short guide on general casualwear aesthetics.

Included in each category are some recommended brands and stores. Years ago, there used to be a brand (I'm struggling to remember the name) that aimed itself at making larger sizes for guys who prefer workwear.

For casualwear, my feeling is that you have to start with a very intentional aesthetic. Let some basic archetypes guide you and then find clothing that fits you in that category.

Simon at Permanent Style wrote something similar a few years ago, but his site focuses more on "classic" or "basic" casualwear looks. You may also find this post helpful.

put this on is a great site. I love it. I like Janes Bond sort of look. Armani, Tom Ford, lots of blacks and whites, though lately I’ve been adding pastels into my look. Ralph Lauren size xxl fits me well. And I like his stuff.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
put this on is a great site. I love it. I like Janes Bond sort of look. Armani, Tom Ford, lots of blacks and whites, though lately I’ve been adding pastels into my look. Ralph Lauren size xxl fits me well. And I like his stuff.
I have a post coming up there in the next two or three weeks about a member on here. It's a feature on his style. He has a larger build and I like the way he dresses, so you may want to check back. When the post is up, it will be filed under the "Real People" tag. I'll be asking him what brands he buys, how to develop a wardrobe for a larger build, etc.

Rasputin13

Reaction score
I have a post coming up there in the next two or three weeks about a member on here. It's a feature on his style. He has a larger build and I like the way he dresses, so you may want to check back. When the post is up, it will be filed under the "Real People" tag. I'll be asking him what brands he buys, how to develop a wardrobe for a larger build, etc.

Excellent. I’ll keep my eye out for that.

Gentlemens's Era

Reaction score
First things first, lay off the sugar. Seriously! In the first 10-14 days you will see a decrease in weight and you'll feel amazing. Next, start exercising 5 times a week. BURN THOSE CALORIES!

Make sure your diet consists of healthy foods. I am not saying start eating salads. Here is a quick break down of what you should be eating:

Breakfast: eggs, banana, oats and fruit
Lunch: rice/potatoes, some sort of protein (chicken, beef, etc) and veggies
snack: protein bar/shake, or fruits
dinner: rice/potatoes, some sort of protein (chicken, beef, etc) and veggies

Once that starts going and you start losing weight, then you worry about the clothes. You don't want to lose all that weight and then not have any of your new clothes fit you.
The new clothes will look so much better on you once you lose the the extra weight!

If you have other questions or concerns, you can always message me!

I hope this helps! :)

DishiThishi

Reaction score
Hello chap, completely feel your problem. I've been on the larger size myself for most of my life and at a certain point the "being big for rugby" goes out the window when you can't run up and down the pitch.

However, since this pandemic started, I've managed to shed some weight and slowly start to rebuild my fitness. What helped me and is keeping me in check is CONSISTENCY.

First, I calculated how many calories I need (MyfitnessPal) and then try and see how much you're burning every day. If you're eating less than you burn, you're on your way! Unfortunately, the only way to track this is to keep a diary like MFP. Keeps you accountable and in line. Also, don't stress about the scales because weight fluctuations are terrible. Try and aim for about 0.5 kilos a week and it'll become sustainable.

In terms of exercise, I don't know what you like to do but I started with walking, hiking etc and now run 3 times a week. I sacrificed some trouser expenditure and got an indoor bike and that has been a godsend! I hop on it for about 30 mins most days and frankly, that is more than enough to keep your HR up and burn some calories.

Biggest thing I'd say is, it takes time and a lot of effort (in the beginning). Give it a month or so and once you get used to the routine, hopefully it'll come naturally. Its doable! Bit of discipline and accountability is all it takes. Good luck.

Panama

Reaction score
I am in mid 40s. I'm getting into dressing more dapper. Problem I have is that I'm short and fat (5'6", 250 lbs.). My suits are made to measure. Anyhow, I wear a size XXL t-shirt. I go to Saks and see a beautiful Armani black t-shirt. XXL in Armani is much smaller than a US XXL. Same with Versace, even Robert Graham shirts. How does a short, fat, bald guy find beautiful clothes to wear to attract the ladies?
I have a chubby friend. He attracts the ladies with his private jet, yacht, and Bentley. They don't seem to mind he's chubby at all.

Rasputin13

Reaction score
Thanks for the good responses so far and advice. I am dealing with COVID. I tested positive. Ugh!

H. E. Pennypacker

Reaction score
Look up One Meal A Day diet (OMAD) and just walk more. Try to do 3 hours of regular walking a week. That’s feasible. Cut out liquid calories.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

• Crewneck sweater

• Turtleneck sweater

• Long-sleeve polo

• Vest

• I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats

Results are only viewable after voting.