• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am so confused about pants :confused:

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
There has been some talk on the board lately about the waist and its location. I measure around my belly button and I get 30. I wear size 30 pants and I have so much slack that I can stick my hand in my pants (if the urge to do so should strike me). I wear size 29 j crew pants and they seem to fit fine, but they're not at my belly button.... they're at the top of my hips. My size 30 jeans also have a lot of slack.

Another thing - when I try to hike up my pants to my belly button area as an experiment, I get camel toe. So I'm pretty sure that the pants in question aren't meant to be up so high. Please help me understand pants
frown.gif

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby
... I can stick my hand in my pants...

Looks like you've got the hard part well in hand.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just because pants are tagged 30 doesn't mean it's actually a true 30" at the waist. Just try on a smaller pair until you find something that fits. Don't get so caught up on measurements

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cioni2k
Just because pants are tagged 30 doesn't mean it's actually a true 30" at the waist. Just try on a smaller pair until you find something that fits. Don't get so caught up on measurements

Thank you^^^! We are really thinking too much with this. Every 30 is not cut the same. Here is a novel idea: when you are buying pants, try them on. If they fit-buy. Small-get bigger. Large-get smaller. That should do it! Really not that hard!

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Smarty pants, explain the problem with the camel toe. There was a lengthy discussion on SF a week or so ago about pants needing to be at the waist, and the waist being about where the belly button is. When I experiment with hiking my pants up to the belly button, I inevitably get a camel toe. So something is wrong. Do more casual pants sit lower, ie. 'on the hip'?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ You're getting the toe because of the rise of the pants. The rise isn't high enough to sit at your waist, so when you pull them up that high the crotch of the pants hits the nerts. This means one of two things: The pants are intentionally low rise and meant to sit below your true waist, or, if they are intended to sit at the true waist, that particular pair's rise simply isn't high enough to fit you.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do more casual pants sit lower, ie. 'on the hip'?

Yes. Measurement 5/6 in the diagram below determines how high up it sits on your hips/waist/chest.

pant_measure.gif

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
It depends on the length of the rise. High rise, wear at the waist, low rise, wear at the hip

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What hasn't been mentioned yet on this thread is that using the navel is only a guide, as from one person to the next the navel gravitates like the moon.

Your TRUE waist is the narrowest circumference between the top of your pelvis (iliac crests) and the bottom of your rib cage. As we are all built differently this is usually approximately at the level of the navel but not necessarily. Just like with shoes I am sometimes, but not always, a size 9, follow Phil Spector's advice and try them on.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and the waist being about where the belly button is. ?

Oh Tailor is going to slap you.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Everyone has two waist measurements. Over the fullest part of your stomach is the coatwaist and tailors use this to determine the girth of the jacket waist where the jacket buttons.

Just below this and with the tape pulled much snugger is your trouser waist due to the fleshy nature of this area. Can be anywhere from 1 to maybe 6 inches smaller than your coatwaist. If you use your coatwaist for your trouser, the trouser waist is too big. Use the trouser waist for the jacket and you can't button the jacket.

Trouser that sits with the waistband seam just above the hipbone stay up the best. Go up or down from there for your styling preference. It is an individual thing to the wearer's taste.

I found this info here on Styleforum in an old post from Despos. Found it to be helpful IRL.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads