• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am so confused about pants :confused:

arc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
I found this info here on Styleforum in an old post from Despos. Found it to be helpful IRL.

Trippy...
laugh.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I found this info here on Styleforum in an old post from Despos. Found it to be helpful IRL.

That guy is a Godsend.

- B

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

laugh.gif

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
That guy is a godsend. - B
FTFY Guess what Vox? I was curious of this "Gilt" thing so I went to their website to see what the hoopla was all about. Requested membership and...I WAS ACCEPTED!!! What happens now? Just looked at the "I Miss gilt thread" I may rescind my membership.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Everyone has two waist measurements. Over the fullest part of your stomach is the coatwaist and tailors use this to determine the girth of the jacket waist where the jacket buttons.

Just below this and with the tape pulled much snugger is your trouser waist due to the fleshy nature of this area. Can be anywhere from 1 to maybe 6 inches smaller than your coatwaist. If you use your coatwaist for your trouser, the trouser waist is too big.
Use the trouser waist for the jacket and you can't button the jacket.

Trouser that sits with the waistband seam just above the hipbone stay up the best. Go up or down from there for your styling preference. It is an individual thing to the wearer's taste.

agreed. this has been what ive been saying all the time, but no one here has ever believed me. glad you pointed it out.

Always cinch up the tape measure when measuring waist for trousers. go into the fat area a little bit . ALWAYS.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In addition to getting the right rise, you might also want to pay attention to the back rise. Otherwise, you may have too much or too little fabric in the seat.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
FTFY

Guess what Vox? I was curious of this "Gilt" thing so I went to their website to see what the hoopla was all about. Requested membership and...I WAS ACCEPTED!!! What happens now?

Just looked at the "I Miss gilt thread" I may rescind my membership.

My apologies for replying so late, Despos, but I was stuck in another Member's Gilt Cart.

Long and short: the main advantage to being a Gilt Groupe member...especially when you achieve Senior Member status similar to that which many have here on teh StyleForvm...are the wild member-only parties.

Moreover, the founders of Gilt...

gilt-group330-210x300.jpg

...aren't bad looking for corporate types and they went to a couple of decent schools.

- B

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
i understand that in its continuous efforts to prevent the slide into commoditization of the luxury good business, gilt is thinking about introducing a new membership level: Gilt Kryptonium (you see, french references have already lost their cachet.)

the hook?

Gilt Kryptonium members will be able to place Gilt's owners themselves in their carts. you will be able to preview the goods from various angles and under flattering lighting conditions a day prior to the sale / rental.

of course, the waiting list is intimidatingly long, but I expect it to drop off precipitously after a few weeks for understandable reasons, either as a result of resignations of the owners or an evaporation of demand.

(sorry, one size only, and return shipping not included.)

at this point, gilt's strategy will shift to auctioning off attractive members themselves. this is all part of an industry trend that is gaining momentum by the day: "crowd-sourcing".

ultimately, gilt will be acquired by ebay due to a convergence of business models, and gilt's then-CEO will run for governor of the center of gravity of gilt's customer base: california.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Sometimes I think some of the posters here may actually be marsupialed.

Don't over think it. They're pants. Can you imagine what your average blue collar guy would think about someone who has to post on the internet for an explanation about how to find pants that fit? I have to think that realistically, most of the world has more common sense than people fretting over such absurd issues on this forum.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
agreed. this has been what ive been saying all the time, but no one here has ever believed me. glad you pointed it out.

Always cinch up the tape measure when measuring waist for trousers. go into the fat area a little bit . ALWAYS.

muffin-top.jpg_e_be4a040f41dfb65a155b3b24351d007c.jpg

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
Why would you measure about your belly-button and then wear the pants around your hips? Do you REALLY not understand where the slack comes from?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
i understand that in its continuous efforts to prevent the slide into commoditization of the luxury good business, gilt is thinking about introducing a new membership level: Gilt Kryptonium (you see, french references have already lost their cachet.)

Since my son's great great grandfather co-discovered the element krypton, I already have an in.

I hope.

- B

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
HOW MANY TIMES DO WE SAY IT? AND DOES ANY ONE LISTEN?

the belly button is not where your true trouser waist is at.

your true waist is just above your hip bones.

thats where trousers usually should be worn.

if you wear trousers on your hips, then wear the ones designed for that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads